Best well rounded gaming headphones

They’ve blown my world lol. Theres just something about them. Something in the way they move. effects me like no other headphone. lol

You should just get them. their worth 180$. i think their worth 300$

I want to try those and the verum but returns are all jacked up on those two. I don’t like the idea of paying that much without a guarantee on the return and nobodys buying the helios ive seen these people selling for a while now meanwhile verum doesn’t show up like anywhere.

@Carebearkiller Hope this info helped you in some way. If you still have questions feel free to ask. Definitely feel free to chime back in with what you decided to go with and how you liked it I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

1 Like

It was the mids of 1770 Pro that were bugging me, not 177x. It was just a minor tonal coloration–felt like it may have been due to a closed back but pads that breathed too much.

I don’t really get that same sense of something out of balance on the 177x–they’re more coherent with their stock pads, but they’re missing the aggresssion that I liked about 1770 Pros. Slapping the included leather pads on the Pros tightened up the mids and also dialed the bass to 11.

By comparison, 177x with stock pads have “polite” bass. It’s certainly not bad or lacking, but it doesn’t have near the fun impact of the Pros decked out in leather. I have a feeling that a pad swap on to Go would bring a bit more boom and slam; Drop included all-leather pads with the Go–I just haven’t tried them out yet.

I’ve not heard Aeon, but I’ll trust your judgment on that. I do agree with you on the 1990s, though. I immediately fell in love with them for music in a way I’ve been trying to recapture with the 1770 family. And their spatial capabilities combined with their ability to deconstruct complex soundscapes into easily accessible layers gives them an incredible “tactical” sound. At the same time that amazing separation detracts from a sense of immersion since everything feels like a giant map of individual sounds more than a cohesive whole.

If you want a little more aggression try not so thick pads maybe… just a suggestion as I have had a few headphones like that where when I changed to a thinner pad it made them much more in your face sound and really came to life since the drivers are closer and changed the signatures I think the most apparent on that was when I tried the pm-50 and nighthawk carbon ESPECIALLY the carbon which really comes to life when you put on those leather thin pads. Completely agreed on the 1990 which is why I sought out a different headphone strictly for immersion reasons and not so analytical. I think my biggest issue with the aeons is probably my ear size as they completely engulf my ears but my ears are so large they are pressing on the backs of the ear making it slightly uncomfortable hahahaha a personal issue of my and a battle I face with headphones is the darn pad size cause I have a big head with big ears.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip on thin pads. I haven’t done a great deal of pad rolling–mostly listen to what I have in stock config. Will keep thickness in mind when I play with pads more down the road.

BTW, I just got OG Hawks on Friday; they came stock with hybrid pads (microsuede interior, leather everywhere else). The first thing I did was run them through a playlist I made for 1770 Pros, and they do great with a lot of the same bass-heavy electronic tracks.

ah awesome, I think the hawks are definitely a under the radar fantastic choice anymore was told the carbon had the better sound so thats the one I went after. They have a very Dark style sound treble is turned down deep thats for sure but it sounds great.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info, @Falenkor!! Got busy, but I did read your mega comments. That’s really good info. I may be learning towards the 880s, but maybe the massdrop Sennheisers. So lost on all the model numbers right now. I really appreciate your time answering my questions and providing all that information and recommendations.

No problem, take your time with it and look into what you find interesting. Pick whatever you feel is best for you and check it out for yourself.

Pc37x + Schiit Fulla 3. It works and sounds great.

2 Likes

i will chime in. if you are looking for a headet for gaming, and do not listen to music really at all on them, gaming headsets work really well for that. most gaming headsets just arent that musical, but hey generally work really well for games. my 50$ kraken from 7 years ago works just as good as my t60rp argons for gaming. you do not need anything more then a gaming headset for gaming. music is an entirely different story. and for me, media is media…just about anything will do well enough for that purpose.

edit: and i should say FPS gaming, sorry. what OP says he mostly does.

1 Like

Last night I actually used the porta pros when playing bf4 and it was actually enjoyable. Good soundstage and imaging. The bass isn’t too over the top so you can hear higher details like steps and the direction of gunfire. If I was on a low budget and needed a good headphone I’d go porta pros over something like a $100-$200 headset. Crazy how well they scale.

2 Likes

proving my point :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

you do not need to spend $$$$$ for gaming purposes.

3 Likes

the 40-50$ koss from massdrop game great. kinda suck for music, but game great.

1 Like

I enjoy casual fps games using the Monoprice Retro’s. Reducing the bass frequency and boosting mid range via EQ seems to work for me. I can easily make out foot steps and direction of gunfire.

1 Like

I do agree, you don’t need to spend a lot of money for gaming, but I enjoy a good set of headphones. I went with the Superlux before, because of the good reviews I found online and YouTube. Basically cheap entry level audiophile headphones. I was tired of the mostly crummy mics on gaming headsets and the lack of good audio from the drivers. In comparison, most headsets I had bought were ~$50. The last one was a Plantronics Gamecom that I had for a couple years.

Now that I have the Superlux, my mind has been opened to a different world. I can have headphones for music, movies… whatever, but my video games can sound amazing, too. The ModMic is good enough to stream, too. Not that I do that very often, but maybe one day I’ll do it with some frequency.

If it helps y’all understand where I’m coming from, outside my nerd cave, I have a Sony receiver connected to some old Fisher tower speakers, Sony book shelf and center speakers and a 120w sub. While the fisher speakers are older… actually not sure how old, the highs sound great, the mid is good and the bass still rocks. These things have been well cared for. The sound is unique compared to newer speakers I’ve listened to. I’m also one of those people enjoying the vinyl revitalization… Just a great sound you don’t get any more.

Agreed here, My only issue with the pc37x and its previous variation the Game Ones is that the mic tends to have some bleed in from the open sound depending on how loud the headphones are. Nowhere near as bad as say a hyperx cloud which is designed practically the exact same except closed back but its still present. Still, great sound for a gamers headset and is why its in my list posted above.

While technically this is true it depends on how far you want to go about it. I think we are at difference in opinions on this so I will explain on it. Razer Krakens are pretty standard in the gaming market. That isnt to say they are good just middle ground much like the rest. There is only a few that offer a large stage and more accurate imaging with still a great sound. Any gamer headset can be used for casual and competitive this is true and you don’t have to spend a fortune which is also true but that isn’t to say there is not better options. There is a lot of things that come to mind when you look at the difference in gamer headsets including a lot of compression or very awful microphones which just makes things sound awful. Sorry to say that you brought up razer kraken however, in terms of better sound and competitive you would be better off with a pc37x or game one as they do the job better. That would be like me trying to claim that Custom One Pro Plus is better than Custom Studio over there cause they are in the same price bracket yet one pro plus has a lot of compression and studio has studio grade cleaner sound. I can say the same about the hyperx clouds vs Sennheiser gsp or game series… Sennheiser wins hands down despite comparing cheaper headphones and Astro beats the hell out of Razer due to they actually have an open back with a cleaner mic and even comes with its own mixamp

So, irony of ironies, I PM’ed @Carebearkiller to ask about Arizona (mentioned in first post) and it turns out we live about a mile apart! :exploding_head:

We’ll have to navigate the logistics of inhospitable temperatures and social distancing, but since I own a number of the headphones discussed in this thread, we’ve got a good opportunity to meet up for some listening tests. No idea when that may happen, but it seems like we’re both amenable…

4 Likes

even then I wouldnt call them middle ground the krakens is like the only headphone/headset in it’s price range wheere I’ve actually missed where a footstep was coming from even the no soundstage of the m50x manages to tell me if its right or left. but that one straight up presented sound like it was inside my character model when I was standing still. could be a software bug but in all my years of plating games at other people’s house and using whatever headset they were using cause I was too poor to make my own PC the kraken was the only one that has ever fucked me up that bad. happened again somewhat recently with another friend’s setup when I was over playing apex.