Best WiFi mesh?

Looking for something with fast, stable connection. I keep reading about devices not properly jumping between from node to node and loosing signal. Or firmware issues. It almost seems like all the mesh networks are crap. Tell me it ain’t so and make me happy lol.

I just used one of these, you can use a couple more if you need to. WAY cheaper and they just work.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX3700/dp/B00R92CL5E/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=wireless%2Brepeater&qid=1612140333&sr=8-3&th=1

Does it actually have to be mesh? If your place allows for running hardwired backhauls to service access points like the Ubiquiti products, then the work is quite often worth it in the long run.

I’m not going to say it’s the best in terms of speed since it’s old, but it’s been extremely reliable and have no issues with~20 devices at any given point and devices in garage and outdoors.

I’ve been using a the puck style Google WIFI for several years and I actually added a 4th AP a few weeks ago. It’s been pretty much a set it and forget it and I really haven’t had much complaints or issues. Albeit it’s Google.

Main problem is the current router is located in one corner of the house (that’s where the inet line comes in) and reception throughout the house is terrible. 5G channel is basically unusable and the 2.4 is spotty. I thought about running another backhaul but that involves a lot of work. I’ve tried a repeater like was mentioned above but that didn’t improve things much.

I’ve pretty much given up on cheap easy solutions :slightly_frowning_face:

Have pretty much settled on a mesh just don’t want to buy a shotty system so that’s why I’m looking for suggestions. I’ve looked at Netgear, Asus, and, few others but like anything, there’s good reviews and bad ones :man_shrugging:

I’m using this for about 1 year and is been great. I totally recommend. bought the 2 pack for 150$ openbox and it never gave me a problems. it has a huge range

But if you want wifi 6 you can use this one

or this one
3 Likes

The Orbi WiFi 6 happens to be at the top of my list right now. Thanks for the feedback :+1:

1 Like

I similarly have the coax line coming into the house on one corner…I use the Decco M5 with 3 APs and it covers the house nicely. I did have to play with placement a bit to make sure the nodes could reach each other. I should say, I don’t have gigabit speed, so degradation is likely less noticeable. Works well enough, though, and it was pretty easy to set up with the app.

1 Like

Throw a scented oil reservoir and some mood lighting in those things while you’re at it Netgear.

What do you mean?

They could double as one. Wifi mesh AND mint sage.

4 Likes

Mesh as in proper mesh with WAPs on cable to a central (PoE-)Switch?

Ubiquit can do that, is kinda costly though (no experience setting that up). MikroTik can also do meshes, is somewhat involved to get set up though.

In both cases you would have to run RJ45 for PoE to the Access Points. Not sure if that is feasible for you

2.4GHz can penetrate walls somewhat easily.
5GHz is more throughput focused and has some issues with that.

Repeaters are terrible. They take a crap signal and boost it even more overlapping with the incoming one.

1 Like

I ordered a Netgear Orbi 2 pack. Hopefully it does what it says or it will be returned. If that happens, I’m running ethernet through the walls :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

There are also baseboads with integrated cable channels. Might come out to the same amount of work though.

2 Likes

A little late but wanted to chime in on my love of my Orbi. Didn’t wanna spend that much on it but really glad I did. Hope you’re liking it (if you’ve gotten it by now).

Yeah got it yesterday and so far so good. It’s not cheap but if it keeps working the way it is without hiccups, it’s worth it. Thanks for chiming in :+1:

1 Like

I understand you. There are also problems with the router

there is nothing better than Ubiuiti. easier to install than UI…well, that’s another matter, LoL!

Something to keep in mind is that the orbi requires app setup that wants every piece of info about you to ever exist just to run. IMO, a massive turn off. Had to set one up for my folks and it was asking addresses, multiple emails, phone numbers, and had to set 6 security questions that were way TF too probing. Plus, tbh, its an absalutr pain if yoy have a breaker go out and have to resync them.

All that said, I am unaware of a mesh system that does not have similar limitations

I had no such issues. Maybe your parents got some extra security functionality or something? Whenever I log into it, it asks me if I want to subscribe to some service (I believe it’s security) that I don’t care for. The only thing I needed for setup is my router’s password (which is normal obviously).

Orbi has worked flawlessly for me :man_shrugging: