đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT1990

Has anyone bought replacement pads? They are not available at the official parts store. I really need new pairs of pads, I’ve used them so much they’re all squished, specially the A pads. Alternatively, have you guys used any other pads?

No on ever bought stock replacement pads, and yes to trying other pads. You can look for my posts above as some of them go over some pad rolling.

1 Like

I believe I remember hearing you have to contact Beyerdynamic directly to order replacement pads.

However the Dekoni elite velour pads are pretty decent. Kind of a sound in between A and B pads to my ear. According to DIY audio they actually correct the frequency response and remove the peaks. They sound good to me but there’s no mistaking this is still a bright leaning headphone.

On the german BD homepage they are available

I actually prefer the balanced pads and to use grado’s for analytical listening.

ordered the Dekoni elite velour pads for my DT 1990s
I prefered the A Pads, but saw this at DIY Audio Heaven:

so the elite velour sits between B and A Pads soundwise for the lower part but help with the highs

49 dollars plus 25 for shipping to germany
 again, the waiting begins

4 Likes

I saw DIY audio heaven measurements too.
with that pad mod, I’m stuck in between dt1990 pro vs ndh20

similar price range open vs closed
really hard to choose.
is there anyone have both headpones?

I would say that if you need isolation and prefer a warmer sound, the ndh 20 would be a good choice. If you want a brighter sound with better soundstage and imaging the 1990 might be up your alley

4 Likes

Aren’t these usually around $600? Because they have been around $450 on amazon and ebay for few days

That’s about normal price for these atm

1 Like

I bought the DT 1990 Pro a few months ago and paired it with the JDS Labs AMP and EL DAC - sounds great! Must say that when I first listened to the DT’s the treble was quite high, but after the ‘burn in’ period (thought that was a load of bs, but actually it’s true) that disappeared. Anything sounds great through these cans. They’re also great for FPS games e.g. CoD.

1 Like

Well that’s great, hope you enjoy them :+1:

Some headphones do have a noticeable burn in period, both with the actual driver itself and within your head lol

1 Like

the Dekoni Elite Velour Pads arrived - after chilling over 3 weeks at customs in Frankfurt
the fun was now 49 for the pads + 25 int. shipping + 15€ taxes

they better be good! - canÂŽt wait to try these later after office

the last chance would be my planned OTL Tube build

Heres the testing we did.

1 Like

based on your measurements, the fenestrated sheepskin pads would have tamed the peak in the highs even a bit more - tested the elite velour yesterday and am not sure about how I like yet

will compare a 1990 with analytical pads vs mine with the elite velour in future at a shop

mounting the dekoni pads was not as easy as I thought, but it is done in a few minutes
comfort is top, while clamping force was a bit higher due to the thicker pads of course

The DT 1990 is not the easiest headphone to mount pads to is a general statement.

I found the Elite Fenestrated Sheepskin pads to be my favorite followed by the Elite Hybrid pads.

2 Likes

We have some tips in our “how to” video

2 Likes

You’re a lifesaver for posting about that notch

1 Like

What’s the general consensus on which pad tones down the treble the most and maybe keeps the soundstage wide and keeps (or boosts) the bass

Did you check out our graphs? I got them posted above.

1 Like