đź”· Beyerdynamic DT770

This is the official thread for the Beyerdynamic DT770. This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Over Ear
  • Amp needed (for 250Ω Version)
  • Closed Back

:red_circle: HifiGuides Amazon link

Reviews…

Z Reviews

Metal571

2 Likes

the 770s 80 Ohm were my first ok/good headphone
I still like them for comfort, good soundstage, sub-base and isolation. There is no other closed back over ear under 200 that is as good in my opinion

1 Like

I have the DT 770 250 Ohm, Used to have the DT 770 80 Ohm. In my opinion the 250 Ohm is much more resolving, and natural than the other. Bass is also much more defined. The trade-off is harsher highs and overall a bit more brightness.

The 250 Ohm excels at acoustic guitars over its more efficient cousin.

5 Likes

The DT770 Pro 80 are among my favorite headphones ever, and an easy recommendation in the sub-$200 price range. They really tick a lot of boxes: superbly comfortable, isolate very well, reasonably balanced yet fun sound, good soundstage for a closed headphone, and easy to drive, yet get better with higher end amplification. My Woo Audio WA2 really does some wonderful things with these.

I ended up selling these on since I have the DT1770s, but I’ll pretty much never stop recommending these to someone looking for proper mid-fi on the cheap.

3 Likes

I recommended the 770s to a few people - 2 bought the 80 Ohm Version and 1 the 32 Ohm Version
I will keep my 80 Ohm Version forever and today brought it for fun to the office and listen thru ifi xDSD

it´s a good first step in the right direction

I created a guide on modding a 3.5mm female jack into your 770/880/990 a while back, I figured I should leave it here for the archives. People down the road might like to make use of it.

9 Likes

Spot on, I love my 250 ohm set. Thinking of getting them modded for balanced.

1 Like

Yep loved my 250 Ohm 770’s…I think it’s about time to get a new pair :grinning:

Think about ordering a 250 Ohm Version and get it modded for balanced with 4 Pin XLR and give the 80 Ohm Version to my father. He already got my 701.
But I joined the DT 177x Go Drop and save up for the Focal Elegia.

Is the DT 770 Pro 250 ohms, good for Mixing/Mastering EDM Tracks? Because I heard closed headphones, such as the DT 770 Pro 250 ohms will give be terrible soundstage and artificial sounds? Is this true?

soundstage is fine on THESE- for a closed back in this price range, you won´t find anything similar

what do you mean with “artificial sounds”?

1 Like

Soundstage is fine on these. Although, I highly recommend adding a set of Alpha Pads on them. It opens up the soundstage enormously, and tames the treble quite a bit, while adding a nice subbass bump. Plus, they’re comfortable as shit.

1 Like

can you give us a link, please?

https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/accessories/alpha-pads-genuine-lamb-leather.html

Z used to recommend these all the time for the M40X, turns out they’re also great on the 770

1 Like

I own the sennheiser 58x already and want to get my first set of proper closed cans. How would you compare these to the msr7 or m60x from Audio Technica (or anything else up to 200$)?

Also my first good mid-fi headphone, but after a year I’ve decided I don’t like v-shaped signatures. For what they do they’re excellent though, so I recommend them as a < $200 test for if you like that signature or not.

2 Likes

Just got my alpha pads in today and man it opened the sound stage.

1 Like

Yeah, those pads make them fairly wider. How much did the bass increase?

I didn’t notice a huge change in bass.

Huh, I remember that my 250 ohm got a fair bit more subbass with the alpha pads