Beyerdynamic DT880 32, 250, 600ohm?

All this talk about how great these headphones are got me curious. They offer different Ohm ranges with 600 being highest. And ive heard the 600ohm is the best. I have the Avia’s, Elex, 95x Ananda and Aeolus. But i find i wanna buy this headphone just to see what the 600ohm version is like. Its 168$ Should i bother?

So what makes higher ohm rating on headphones? I heard one person say it was higher quality wires and components inside. But he Beyerdynamic headphones have all 3 varieties for the same price.

So I think that if you have the driving power (I’m pretty sure you do), you should go for the 600 ohm if you want the best of the 880 imo. It’s based around the design for how much the impedance would actually affect sound quality, and for the beyers, higher is better

1 Like

think i should get it even though i have the other headphones?

soa higher impedance headphone is harder to drive meaning it requires more power to move the driver which also means it also goes to the original position faster leading to tighter frequency responses. a higher impedance will also mean it has the ability to scale to more powerful amps as well. the higher impedance of the headphoone also greatly benefits tube amps which often have higher than normal output impedances of most solid state amps

if you want to. knowing your history you seem to have no problems sending back what you dont like and if you give it a chance you might really like it

That’s up to you, I don’t make your life choices lol. I like them and think they are good in a collection, but I don’t think they are as technically proficient as your other headphones, so keep that in mind

but your a moderator now, should you make all of our life choices?

1 Like

Why are some Headphones High or Low Impedance?

Headphones with impedance greater than 100 ohms are typically older or professional studio specific designs. Pre-1990s receivers and pro audio equipment often used resistors to attenuate the speaker output power (wattage) to create a simple and inexpensive headphone circuit.

These headphone circuits consequently worked best with high impedance headphones. In some cases, high impedance headphones were designed to chain multiple pairs in parallel for pro studio applications. Without getting too heavily into the math behind it, the high impedance load preserves the source output voltage to be able to drive multiple pairs of headphones.

600 ohm designation on Beyerdynamic DT880 plug.

This was so prevalent that even as recently as 1996, the standard recommended source output resistance was 120 ohms, and went so far as to claim that source impedance had very little effect on the performance.

Stereophile did not mince words with their opinion of that standard and claim.

“Whoever wrote that must live in a fantasy world. Many of the headphones currently available… typically display a quite wide variation of impedance with frequency.”

Most modern headphones are designed to appeal to as wide a market as possible, and that means they must play well on mobile devices. The sale of hundreds of millions of battery powered music players, including the ubiquitous iPod and more recently smartphones, has made lower impedance (around 32 ohms) headphones the norm.

Headphone Models with Multiple Impedances

Customarily, a particular headphone model is only available in a single impedance. Beyerdynamic is one of the few (if perhaps the only) major company that produces multiple versions of the same model, differing only by impedance: 32, 250, or 600 ohm versions of the DT880 and DT990 headphones, and 32, 80 or 250 ohm versions of the DT770.

Beyerdynamic DT880 headphone comparisons from INNERFIDELITY

As you can see the versions do not perform equally.

“The above graphs show the square wave and impulse responses of the three DT880 impedance headphones. Here you can see that the 32 ohm DT 880 rings markedly more than the other two headphones.” – InnerFidelity

Steve Guttenburg of CNet explained:

“The impedance of a headphone is largely determined by the driver’s voice coil, and for Beyerdynamic’s high-impedance models the voice coil’s wire is super-thin, just 0.018mm, half the thickness of a human hair. Beyerdynamic’s Senior Product Manager Gunter Weidemann explained…

The thinner wires have more windings (layers of wire) on the voice-coil than the lower-impedance Beyerdynamic headphones, which have thicker and heavier, easier-to-manufacture voice coils. The lower moving mass of the 250- and 600-ohm headphones’ voice coils is lighter than the 32-ohm models, and the lower mass is part of the reason high-impedance headphones sound better. The smaller diameter of the 600-ohm voice coil wires allows the wires to fit tighter, so there’s less air between the windings, and that makes the electromagnetic field of the voice coil stronger. All of that reduces distortion for the high-impedance versions compared with the low-impedance headphones.”

Beyerdynamic DT770 in 32, 80 and 250 ohm versions.

If properly matched to an appropriate amplifier, it is possible to achieve an enhanced quality of sound with high impedance headphones, at least with specific designs like the Beyerdynamic models above. Please don’t take this to mean that excellent sounding low impedance headphones do not exist. This is just one company’s approach.
stole this off of https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-impedance-demystified/

4 Likes

wow thanks rice. nice of you to post all that. makes this less of a mystery, very interesting. I guess planars are different from dynamics and dont require so much voice coil.

1 Like

Planar magnetic drivers don’t use voice coils at all, actually:

Well, I mean the voice coil is essentially the traces on the diaphragm, but they are not like a dynamic speaker yes

Fair amount of Beyers and AKG’s I find a bit bright. Lots of detail. Lots of energy in the uper mids/low highs of AKG’S. A bit higher for Beyers. But I haven’t heard them all, so just my experience. I agree the high ohm models are better, and tubes are often used in such cases and they made a good match with the Beyers as I recall. Lots of people like them just as they are - you decide.

1 Like

Most tube amps have none trivial output impedance, so they work better with higher impedance headphones.

I wanted someones take on the DT 880 600 Ohm it’s my first headphone that I ever got and I’ve loved mine since ive had it on my 789, I’ve damped it a tad more (lazily) with an extra foam pad from beyer that I got with some replacement pads. I was reading in this thread that tubes pair nicely due to higher output impedance from tubes. I only find its about a 5 or 7% so difference maybe I need to give it a listen again on my dark voices. Listening to my friends 6XX’s on the 789 its terrific on the Darkvoice its a huge change. I think tonight ill give it a listen again but so far its a minor change for me nothing major. Also does anyone have any pad recommendations?