đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

100 ohm output resistance

Well i decided to share my impression, devices in test:
Dac:Aune x8(muses01)
Amps: Asgard 3, beyerdynamic a1
Headphones, beyerdynamic party: DT 880 600ohm, 990 250 ohm, 770 250ohm

Beyerdynamic a1 clearly has much cleaner output in comparison to a3, it is powerful enough actually on the par with asgard for these beyerdynamic set of cans. It sounds like some sound filter was removed when switching from a3 to a1, everything is much cleaner, more details, and i found that almost 30 percent of my records in lossless is total crap! Sound artifacts and distortion was shown by a1! Asgard 3 in some frequency regions blur a little in comparison to a1 and make source is more forgiving. A1 is not a miracle, and i think is overpriced too much. From my point of view, if asgard costs 199$, a1 should cost 399$, not more! Not 700 and 1000 bucks.

I’m sad to say, that in final comparisons for my music listening i prefer 990 250 ohm with a1 amp, probably sell the asgard 3 and for games on another pc i will use 880 600 ohm. I found 990 more emotional, more wow sounding, 990 make me wanna dance!

I think the weak link now is aune x8, in a few days i will try linear power supply for it, and i hope to receive Burson discrete op amp by mail, hope burson helps aune to sing!

As a conclusion: man which told that beyers works good with high output resistance was right! We need to check emotiva amp mow, maybe they really will sound better;)

Sorry for my bad English:)

3 Likes

Whoa, surprising to see. I maybe go to 3:30 on Modi3/Magni3

Interesting , i thought you would lean towards the A3 since most people do. I had the A20 and the A3 and had a Beyer party going on as well.
DT 770-80 ohm, 880-250 ohm, 1770 Pro and Amiron Home along with the Tygrs but didnt use them much with the A20 with those being 32 ohms.

My impressions was that the A20 cleaned everything up.
Tighter bass, more clarity and detail with the A3 being a warmer amp they are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

For my preferences I lost interested in the A3 and kept using the A20. I just couldn’t see keeping the A20 for $400 though I felt like I was cheating myself when it can be found used for around $200 ish.

It could have all been placebo since I kept thinking that Beyer tuned their HPs around the A20 and A1 but it was fun switching between the A20 and A3.

I may have to pick up the A20 again at a used price but the RNHP is my daily driver and the A3 is a distant memory and was sold a while ago.

Thank you for your impression, very interested about which dac do use? I find aune x8 sometimes a bit bright with beyer amp, a1 is so clean! Asgard 3 hide ess sabre sound with blurring a bit frequency range, and bump a little bass region from my point of view. Currently im thinking which dac to get?

Actually im interested to hear a20 and a2 amp :wink: but dac is the question. Tomorrow i pick up linear power supply to dac and want to see changes.

This part not a mistake? Asgard 3 has more details than a20? Just curious, seems that a1 is higher end.
Interested in rhnp, but i spent all my money)))

I was about to respond furhter into the amp discussion but I think we are deviating from the DT880 topic here.

I just posted a reply on the A20 thread

1 Like

Do they sound better on balanced ,single ended or same after modding

After long burn in DT 880 600 Ohm become very close sounding headphone to 990 pro 250, and this is not brain burn in, i’m mainly listen to 990 pro 250. 880 600 ohm burning in 24 hours per day and today after 4 days of burn in, comparing to 990 it differs not so much, very strange because before this burn in i prefer 990’s, now they are so similar that i can’t make even say which sound better.

This question is not really answerable as presented. Or
 the answer is “no they won’t sound better SE or Balanced, either way.”

If you have an amp that can be run both ways, chances are the Balanced connection has more power. And chances are also that the Balanced will be better implemented within that one amp. Neither of these “chances are “ statements are certain — unless and until you identify a specific amp, that is.

Single -ended can sound just as good as balanced, if you’re talking about an amp that can only be run single-ended. But then you’re not comparing the wiring of the headphone at all, but just comparing the amps.

In many cases, dollar for dollar, the SE amp will be superior.

If you already have or are committed to an amp that can be run both ways, it might be worth getting the headphones rewired for balanced. Obviously, you would need to do it if your amp could only run balanced, too.

1 Like

Actually i was confused between asgard 3 and magnius but it seems asgard 3 is better but not balanced

It is true that the Asgard is not balanced. I believe most people who weigh in on this forum would tell you the Asgard is better, too, as you’ve been noticing. I’ve never heard ir seen a Magnius in person.

For me the “balanced” amps would matter more at the input side, connecting to a balanced DAC. This is because with an electronically-crowded desk, you may get a ground loop making noise in the amp. Balanced will prevent this.

This is not important to a lot of people who never had a ground loop problem.

Well. I will be connecting a balanced dac separately

Not to the Asgard you won’t, right?

I will be using asgard and modius stack

But then you still have to connect the Modius single ended to the Asgard. That is, Asgard doesn’t have a balanced connection.

Have you had experience with the dt880’s sound signature? I personally think Having an amp to compliment the sound sig of the dt880’s would be more important than whether or not its balanced but thats my 2 cents. I prefer the dt880s on a warm tubey sounding amp so tube amps make them sound great. But if your set up is already balanced then why not go full blown balanced. If I were to go balanced amp, I’d look into the liquid platinum.

Ive been wanting to try the asgard3 with the dt880’s since by consensus it seems to be the preferred amp for cost and performance.

Ohh yeah now I remember

No experience yet but I guess I will go with single ended mod only

I love mine with the Violectric V220, which is only a Single Ended out amp.

I input balanced and the SE out sounds Great with these headphones. Although TBH I haven’t had these headphones for about seven weeks. :unamused:

On the upside, they are leaving Germany this week and I can’t wait to get them back.

2 Likes

I have an Asgard 3 and a Darkvoice(stock tubes).
I just got DT880 600ohm yesturday so they’re not burned in yet.
So far they sound great on the Asgard, but even better on the Darkvoice.
Not only do the tubes help balance the sound, but it just sounds more direct.

3 Likes