šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Hmm others can help in that definitelyā€¦ but in terms if bright with air and good midsā€¦ sundara and 880 are quite nice. Sennheiser arenā€™t typically bright and airy. Since you appreciate 990s bass though sundara may be out as itā€™s quite bass lite so yea, I think 880 could very well be one that fits you wellā€¦ you will however lose some soundstage and imaging to my ear(can be gained back and then some if upgrading to t1.2)

Iā€™m sure the many vocal lovers here can chime on this more than I can though

I appreciate the 990 bass but Iā€™d give bass up long before the bright and airy. Sundara definitely seems interesting

Iā€™d say itā€™s worth a shot then on both accounts. Sundara has a gorgeous sound and still good impact. Planar so speed and slam with loads of detail and texture. Only concern is itā€™s more expensive and quality control concerns. In terms of air and treble? Iā€™d say sundara may actually best 990 because it just sounds huge yet relaxed

3 Likes

I havenā€™t heard the 990 but I very much enjoy vocals on the 880 and the bright airy treble is there imo. The bass is not elevated but itā€™s there when needed and it is very nice and controlled. These are a go-to in my collection for acoustic, vocals, orchestral, and similar genres. Iā€™ve got a couple other headphones that like to party and I use them for heavy bass genres like electronic or metal.

Youā€™re quite right about the 880ā€™s (600 ohm) not having a lot of low end. I was listening to them last night and a very bass heavy track came on and I noted that it was lacking quite a bit. Then I took them off and put on my 880ā€™s (250 ohm) and replayed that track again. The bass on the 250 ohm set of 800ā€™s was very much there again.

Iā€™ve only had the 600 ohm version for a couple of weeks and Iā€™m still evaluating them for myself. Now that I know that the low end isnā€™t as deep as some of my other headphones Iā€™ll be looking to use them on different genres that arenā€™t so much bass heavy. It will be entertaining to evaluate them in this new light.

2 Likes

You can remedy that relatively easy through tubes or just a pad swap to like dekoni suede or something. Pads will increase the stage in some cases by a good margin as well

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! I have a DarkVoice en route this week I can try it on. A pad swap is something I was going to look into, but didnā€™t really know where to start.

Just gonna sayā€¦ bless the Zen Can XBass button.

5 Likes

That is absolutely my opinion too!

I connected the combination of Zen Dac and Can with a 4.4 mm balanced cable and ifiā€™s own low noise power supply for each device.

In connection with the DT880 600Ohm with Gain + 18dB and the HD660S with Gain + 6dB you can activate the XBass and the 3D switch without thinking about it and then you have a relatively cheap pairing, which the significantly more expensive pairings first have to come up with in terms of quality and sound.

2 Likes

Sweet. By my count, you, me, @AJ_AX and @FBizzle are the ones whoā€™ve tried this combo (DT880 600 with Zen DAC+Can). Itā€™s honestly amazing with buttons on. Also Iā€™m gonna try using the Zen Can with an upgraded DAC which will require a special Dual Female XLR to 4.4mm cable that Iā€™m gonna have to make myself since I donā€™t believe itā€™s sold anywhere readily.

Edit: Also keep in mind I balance modded mine. Not sure who else did.

Just received dt 880 600 ohm for my Asgard 3 + aune x8(currently on muses01). Right from the box - the sound is compressed and shy, hope burn in will help

Just swapped to OPA2134, it sound much fuller.
From your experience burn in will help them? Maybe it worth to try beyerdynamic a20 amplifier with output impedance equals 100, i heard with this amp 600 ohm version shine. Did somebody tried a20 with 880 600 ohm? It can be better than asgard 3 with them

Update: 8 hours of burn in - improved bass region a lot.

4 Likes

What is the best sounding amp for DT 880 600 ohm, without budget limits, simply the best :wink: ?

I let mine burn in for about 72 hours before using them.

All I can recommend is the Emotiva Bas-X A-100, page 11 enabled, or the DarkVoice 336 tube amp*.

*I just got the DarkVoice today. I already used the 880ā€™s with it and it was a great experience.

Iā€™m sure there are other amps out there just as good or better, but these two are the only ones I have experience with.

1 Like

Just to check can jds atom stack run 600ohm dt880?

Quick answer. Yes they can.

Lmao wh zeos framed it like it is impossible to

I mean, they scale like crazy so its not wrong to think better equipment will drive them well but atom, magni, heresy, and spark can drive itā€¦ you donā€™t need a modded speaker amp

1 Like

Just pulled the trigger for beyerdynamic a1 for a good price, on sunday i will post my impression. Anyone have an experience?

3 Likes

A lot of amps can run 600 Ohm headphones.
You donā€™t need 500mW (or more) into 600 Ohm! This power-hungry headphones meme needs to die.

The DT-880 are said to scale exceptionally well with amplifiers. So having a way better amplifier (better, not more power) would help them.

3 Likes