šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Iā€™m still a bit puzzled in this mod. Is the cable detachable from the headphone? What are your connections at each end of the cable? Pics may help.

Why not the new Magnius? Isnā€™t that basically a balanced Asgard 3?

Sorry Wave, havenā€™t actually got them in my hands yet. I only have a pic of this top end mod but assuming single xlr connector at end but I will confirm and revert to the group asap

I ordered the ifi zen can, almost 400mw balanced at 600ohm and quite cheap. In Germany around 180ā‚¬. Only thing you need is a 4.4 to XLR adapter

2 Likes

Hi @EnerGI and thanks for jumping in. The Zen CAN was my next thought. @AJ_AX If your modded 880 is attached balanced, which it looks like it might be, Zen CAN with 4.4mm to xlr adapter is probably the best choice. Itā€™s also class A which I think the 880 responds well to. @dcofficehack is correct that the Schiit Magnius is an option. Itā€™s not a balanced Asgard 3 as the Magnius is a variation on class D and the Asgard is class A. IMO the DT880 responds best to class A, class A/B, or tube amps. IME it is not a great sonic match for op-amp based designs like THX, Atom, or Topping A90. The Magnius is similar to those latter type.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great help, thanks Wave and everyone for the feedback. When I receive these early next week, Iā€™ll be able top make a great choice from these suggestions.

Iā€™ll keep you posted!

1 Like

Personally I wouldnā€™t suggest the magnius as while it is balanced it takes a significant performance hit compared to the asgard 3, itā€™s more similar to a magni heresy

1 Like

Thatā€™s either Andre The Giant holding those Beyer or theyā€™re the smallest cans ever!

Iā€™m hoping itā€™s just a weird camera angle!

Vendor came back to me and the cables terminate in a 4 pin xlr. I think Iā€™ll go the Zen Can route with an adapter. Not sure what DAC to pair with it? Nice matching one on Drop but sold through and not ideal in any event for EU buyers. Any further suggestions folks?

Thanks

Hey Guys I am considering to buy DT880 600 Ohm version since it is such a great price, however i only posses tube amp little dot MKII with upgraded tubes and as solid I use aune X7s, do you think this will power it well ? now I have an option to buy Schiit Audio Magni Heresy or should i try the aune first ?

Hi! Welcome to HFGF. Your amps should do fine. Enjoy!

2 Likes

thanks for quick response, I will test it probably next week will come back here with results at the moment I only have sennheisers HD 660s for audio comparison. I am looking forward how this one will go :smiley:

I think the only thing would be a dummy powerful amp to pair with the DT 880 600ohm

In the same league a elex when modded? Thatā€™s some serious hype. I like tinkering, but if Anandas and an LCD2C are my daily drivers, is there anything for me to be gained by owning them? I canā€™t audition them right now, let alone a modded pair, so opinions are greatly appreciated.

So, Iā€™ve been up and running for a few weeks now with the balanced 880ā€™s. Went for an iFi stack, Can and Zen, and imported a 4.4mm to 4.4mm pentacon from Hart Audio to link them up.

Itā€™s really sweet, warm and maybe slightly dark but the detail and presence is eye-opening. There are times when Iā€™m simply astonished.

Highly recommend to anyone and thanks for all the responses in advance!

3 Likes

Just arrived. Wow at this incredibly long, microphonic, attached cable.

Are we choosing to compare SE Magnius to Asgard 3?

I have my 880 balanced so balanced in this case, I have some more of my thoughts in the magnius thread

Iā€™ll check that out

Looking for more opinions on this before pulling a trigger. Man I wish I had an audio store near me.

I absolutely love the 990 600ohms. The clarity, the separation, the sparkle, the airyness, the soundstage. Man that soundstage and separation is such an amazing feeling.

The only problem I have is the vocals could be more upfront, as elevating the vocals on the 990s just involves raising the volume, which maxes out the treble and bass.

I tried the 560s, and while itā€™s fine, I find it too congested and lacking any good highs compared to the 990.

Will I find a vocal champion in the 880s to complement the 990s, the latter for rock, orchestral, edm, and gaming and the former for softer vocal forward music? Or are they less complementary are more just different sound signatures?