šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Well put, thanks! Havenā€™t heard the t1.3 but seems like a warmer headphone, or v shaped? Iā€™m not sure, but seems different than a normal Beyer maybe. They def seemed to have focused on gaming aspects too, as well as other companies, to keep up with trends?

1 Like

Yes! Beyer, Senn, and Schiit seem to be leading the charge for audiophile companies trying to break into the gaming market. Iā€™m a bit baffled as to why SMSL, Fiio, Topping, etc. havenā€™t combined one of their dacs with a mic input and turned it into an audiophile gaming and music audio interface. For that matter, Iā€™m a bit surprised why even more gamers havenā€™t gotten into exploring the high end audio world. E-Sports have taken off. But watch those competitions and what do you see? Hyper-X headphones (or similar) whichā€¦letā€™s just say they could do better. As a species we seem to spend money on the gear that makes us better at our passions. For gaming, money is thrown at GPUs, monitors, mice, keyboards, hell even mousepads, but not so much audioā€¦yet. At some point professional gamers might realize in large numbers that audio is a place where they can gain a competitive advantage. And thatā€™s a great market for equipment makers to capitalize. Then, those of us audiophiles still interested in listening to music benefit because our favorite companies get more money to develop better music reproducing gear.

3 Likes

Arenā€™t the headsets part of sponsorships? I would certainly have thought so.

1 Like

Oh, they are for sure. The point was more that audio-first companies have been really slow to adapt to that potentially huge market segment.

Hmmm yeah, their marketing could certainly become more active like that.
That would certainly improve sales and brand recognition.

The current catch is probably connected to the fact that many audio companies (although not Senn or Beyer) are more boutique operations that probably canā€™t donate dozens of sets of headsets to a gaming tournament. The reality is money often begets more money :neutral_face:

Thought you read my remarks for that one? Not V shaped but extremely warm with dark treble less you take out the dampener then it becomes relatively V shaped.

I can agree, I am rather confused and wish there was an easier entry into higher end audio for a gamer. Itā€™s quite the initial expense depending on what your going for. Then again, Tygr being able to be ampless is nice.

Big money sponsors will control that stuff man. Hyperx, steel series, etc territory while they spread how ā€œgreatā€ sounding their equipment in despite it being regularly junk or copies of another headphone like Takstar pro82

In professional gaming this has always been common knowledge that audio plays a huge role in playing proficient, however you can screw yourself up practicing with a better headphone(especially if open back) compared to the trash given to you at venues as you get used to that better sound and itā€™s imaging.

Well, I wouldnā€™t say beyer couldnā€™t go setup a lot of low ohm DT 770s or something for a tournament for example itā€™s just that the venues want to buy cheap trash and stick to the ā€œgamingā€ brand stuff as they offer a lot of money to those tournaments for using the products and advertising

1 Like

A good point. A weird dynamic exists here. In most sports the best equipment inevitably makes its way to the top. That hasnā€™t happened yet with gaming audio. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I would worry beyer may let it go to their head a bit lol.

I wonder how much and if they equalize for E-Sports. Then they would basically only need good imaging, separation.

Itā€™s fascinating to me that given my current crop of 'phones, there are no obvious next steps. Lots of options, but each represents a compromise.

Also, itā€™s clear that diminishing returns is already setting in. To improve on my $300 HD600 and $200 (when I bought it) DT880, Iā€™ll have to spend at least $500 for a DT1990, and apparently not for a huge improvementā€¦The Elex, T1s, LCD-2C, etc, are all at least twice the cost of the HD600.

I sometimes listen to an old crappy headphone, or put on a crummy LP just for perspective. We are very fortunate!

Its perfectly ok to be happy with spending $2-300 on a headphone(s) most people would say thatā€™s crazy to spend on headphones anyhow.

2 Likes

The laws of physics are the one set of laws we cannot break. When you talk about a device that has to physically vibrate to make a sound wave, choices have to be made.

Also, do you have a tube amp for your HD600? That will really transform that headphone.

No, I donā€™t. Just the Asgard. I have serious space constraints and donā€™t intend to start collecting amps, though Iā€™d love to play with alternatives. I could be talked into getting a better DAC, not because Iā€™m convinced dacs make a difference but because using an outboard dac would increase my ampā€™s power output, so Iā€™d be getting more out of the Asgard than I currently am.

The sound of my current rig is really nice; thereā€™s no reason for me to seek to move up other than curiosity spurred by my self-destructive habit of reading/watching headphone reviews that get me thinking ā€œooh, maybe I should buy that!ā€

Hi All,

Just purchased the dt880 600ohm that has been modded balanced xlr.

Would appreciate your recommendations for a good amp and dac in 200-300 range. Going to use this for gaming as well as music. Also open to tube recommendations, never owned tubes to date.

Many thanks

I will be the first in to say Asgard 3. Lots of power at a very affordable price.

Hi! Welcome to HFGF!

When you say your DT880 has been balanced to XLR, do you now only have xlr connector? @ShaneD is spot on that the Asgard 3 is the amp of choice for DT880 in your price range (if youā€™re US based). For a tube amp the Darkvoice 336SE is the best option for the price. Both of those are single ended amps. Thereā€™s not a balanced amp I can think of to recommend over those 2 until you get to the Liquid Platinum at near 500USD.

I missed the balanced part. :open_mouth:

Thanks Wave and peeps for the recā€™s

Yep, it has an xlr connector. This is also a first for me, so better to get and amp with xlr connector or perhaps an adapter to convert to single end to give better amp options? Not an area familiar to me so I could be waffling on this suggestionā€¦