šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

lmao kind of feel zeos is just adding lots of snake oil into the 600ohm review only 2 amps can drive it lool

I wish he just would have worded it better than he did, as itā€™s rather misleading and has been quite common on here with people getting that general idea that you need a nuclear power plant amp like that modded speaker amp just to power themā€¦ which is far from accurate. I would however, take a dark voice or my liquid platinum over say a Spark or Atom any day of the week on powering them because it sounds a hell of a lot better on them. Scaling is very exceptional on the DT 880 at 600 ohm. To put it quite frankly, I hated this headphone with the Spark, gained a taste for it with the asgard, fell in love with it on the Tubes

3 Likes

I mean, he does say you could run them off your phone (he said the same thing about the Argons), youā€™ll just be disappointed if you were expecting to get the same experience others describe.

Almost as if Z doesnā€™t think about chain synergy :sweat_smile:

These sound real nice on the A3 in all seriousness though, really need to try it on the RNHP and eventually when I build it, my bhc.

1 Like

I would say you need a decent amount of power to run then, at minimum a full watt or more.

I have to turn my Rupert Neve to near max with the 880 600ohm to get a good volume. Lucky that amp is so good I donā€™t get negatives at that volume level.

The Archel 2.5 drives them much better than my spark or the RNHP.

and I the 888 they sound greatā€¦ like itā€™s said above they scale well with power.

I would not then a phone could drive them to any listenable volumeā€¦ perhaps in a quiet library :thinking:

Internal soundcard of Asus z370 prime motherboard with selected line out drives them just ok with volume and have better frequency balance than Asgard 3, thatā€™s why i decided to try beyerdynamic a1 amp, i hope to have very good sound, which i read from feedbacks:)

Starting to get a bit confusedā€¦

where does he state you can run these or argons on your phone? Argons especially, are very demanding of power and absolutely demand a strong amplifier. I mean, I guess if you have a portable amp thats fine?

better frequency balance? Confused, I have that motherboard and it barily drives this headphone at allā€¦ while the volume will get up it by no means is driving them correctly like at all meanwhile asgard 3 drives them fine itā€™s just the dial is past 3 oclock

Beyers own spec sheet on their website says the DT 880/990 600 ohm models take a maximum of 100 mW, and their own amps put out a maximum of 100mW into 600 ohms I believe.

The Atom puts up to 125mW into 600 ohms so it has more than enough power.

2 Likes

People seem to be having trouble locating 600 ohm models in stock, they seem to be readily/frequently available at these links:

1 Like

Also here, all authorized dealers:

https://www.adorama.com/bddt880x3.html
https://www.adorama.com/bddt990x3.html

In the T60rp and 880 600ohm reviews. He then immediately follows it up by explaining how bad an idea that is, but it will still make sound. Beyond a certain point (I guess 100mw @600ohm, the Bass X with mod is 600mw @600ohm) itā€™s more a case of the quality of the sound rather than volume.

1 Like

Just opened the box with brand new beyerdynamic a1 amp, i think i will burn in it for some time, but i decided to share my initial impressions in comparison to asgard 3:
First point that i notice immediately A1 is more transparent and clear than Asgard 3. Resolution seems to be better too. Frequency balance is flat to my ears. A1 makes dt 880 600 ohm louder than a3, but which i prefer more i think i will say after burn in, but seems that a1 is not so fun to listen, because of linear frequency response, but maybe a1 is bottlenecked by aune x8 dac. Anyway the unit is very cold from outside (street), i will evaluate it tomorrow.

3 Likes

Yes, working range on asgard for this headphones is from 12 to max, but with beyer amp a1 is from the beginning, 8 a.m to 2 p.m., somewhat like more usual, than maxing asgard 3 amp.

What dac are you using with 880?

A little update for my initial impressions, that i hear difference in op-amps on the dac more obvious than on a3. With asgard 3 i preferred opa2134, but with a1 amp i like muses01 opamp more

I could not find much on the A1. Is there a spec-sheet in the manual that has output impedance, etc. in it?

100 ohm output resistance

Well i decided to share my impression, devices in test:
Dac:Aune x8(muses01)
Amps: Asgard 3, beyerdynamic a1
Headphones, beyerdynamic party: DT 880 600ohm, 990 250 ohm, 770 250ohm

Beyerdynamic a1 clearly has much cleaner output in comparison to a3, it is powerful enough actually on the par with asgard for these beyerdynamic set of cans. It sounds like some sound filter was removed when switching from a3 to a1, everything is much cleaner, more details, and i found that almost 30 percent of my records in lossless is total crap! Sound artifacts and distortion was shown by a1! Asgard 3 in some frequency regions blur a little in comparison to a1 and make source is more forgiving. A1 is not a miracle, and i think is overpriced too much. From my point of view, if asgard costs 199$, a1 should cost 399$, not more! Not 700 and 1000 bucks.

Iā€™m sad to say, that in final comparisons for my music listening i prefer 990 250 ohm with a1 amp, probably sell the asgard 3 and for games on another pc i will use 880 600 ohm. I found 990 more emotional, more wow sounding, 990 make me wanna dance!

I think the weak link now is aune x8, in a few days i will try linear power supply for it, and i hope to receive Burson discrete op amp by mail, hope burson helps aune to sing!

As a conclusion: man which told that beyers works good with high output resistance was right! We need to check emotiva amp mow, maybe they really will sound better;)

Sorry for my bad English:)

3 Likes

Whoa, surprising to see. I maybe go to 3:30 on Modi3/Magni3

Interesting , i thought you would lean towards the A3 since most people do. I had the A20 and the A3 and had a Beyer party going on as well.
DT 770-80 ohm, 880-250 ohm, 1770 Pro and Amiron Home along with the Tygrs but didnt use them much with the A20 with those being 32 ohms.

My impressions was that the A20 cleaned everything up.
Tighter bass, more clarity and detail with the A3 being a warmer amp they are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

For my preferences I lost interested in the A3 and kept using the A20. I just couldnā€™t see keeping the A20 for $400 though I felt like I was cheating myself when it can be found used for around $200 ish.

It could have all been placebo since I kept thinking that Beyer tuned their HPs around the A20 and A1 but it was fun switching between the A20 and A3.

I may have to pick up the A20 again at a used price but the RNHP is my daily driver and the A3 is a distant memory and was sold a while ago.

Thank you for your impression, very interested about which dac do use? I find aune x8 sometimes a bit bright with beyer amp, a1 is so clean! Asgard 3 hide ess sabre sound with blurring a bit frequency range, and bump a little bass region from my point of view. Currently im thinking which dac to get?

Actually im interested to hear a20 and a2 amp :wink: but dac is the question. Tomorrow i pick up linear power supply to dac and want to see changes.

This part not a mistake? Asgard 3 has more details than a20? Just curious, seems that a1 is higher end.
Interested in rhnp, but i spent all my money)))

I was about to respond furhter into the amp discussion but I think we are deviating from the DT880 topic here.

I just posted a reply on the A20 thread

1 Like