šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

I donā€™t recall mentioning something like that, the 880 wants mainly voltage not current

I would just say they sound best out of quality amps, and quality of the ampā€™s power is more important than the quantity it can output after a certain threshold

2 Likes

Ahh ā€¦ so it was volts , sorry about that. Thanks for the clarification.

Does anyone have experience with pad swapping on the DT880s?
I got a pair of Brainwavz microsuedes instead of Zeosā€™ recommended Dekoni choice suedes due to cost, but it turned too boomy and muddied the bass for me.
Any recommendations for any other pads I could try to maybe preserve the brighter sound signature?

When switching to the suedes, make sure to remove the circular pad in front of the driver. I find that gives the lushness of the suede, but prevents things from being muddied. My experience is with Dekoni thought no BW. To get that part out you need to remove the plastic ring holding the driver in place. So of course proceed with care.

The Dekoni Suedes did the exact same thing, hence I hated it, you just canā€™t rely on Zeosā€™s ears for anything

if someones trying to preserve the brightness of the 880ā€¦ it definitely wouldnt be using leathers or suedes lol these are known to drop the treble quite a lot. Though you can remove the filter to make sure its cleared up for those padsā€¦ it still will drop the trebleā€¦ best to use a perforated, hybrid, or of course velour

2 Likes

Thanks for your help.

I just tried this out, itā€™s a significant improvement! But now it sounds brighter than the original tuning so treble sensitive people beware

you removed the main tuning foam off the 880s themselves? yeah this is well known to dramatically increase a beyers brightnessā€¦ I know a few people who actually cut that thin foam piece off the dekoni pad but keep the thicker foam insert that comes with the beyer. This same effect is seen especially on headphones like the T1 3rd generation and the Tygr 300r where removing their foam piece drastically increases the treble

Hmā€¦ Yeah I removed the thicker tuningg foam. I kinda like the idea of removing the thin foam instead, but I still want to preserve the integrity of the pad for other headphones.

yeah, I wasnā€™t the biggest fan of the foam as I felt personally that the foam being removed helped the 880s breath a bit moreā€¦ but the additional brightness is quite killer lol. I havenā€™t tried it on the 880s in particular but the hybrids should help maintain it while bringing up the bass if thats what your afterā€¦ dekoni has two types of hybrids for them now so your call on thatā€¦ other than that if its just more comfort but stock signature stay with velour

1 Like

Oh yeah it definitely is a killer when used for extended sessions

I have a loaned pair of round Brainwavz Velour as well. I think itā€™s somewhat like a less muddied version of the microsuedes, while preserving some of the exciting treble. Itā€™s certainly closer to stock signature, but I think difference in pad depth changes the sound too significantly to preserve the og sound.
Unfortunately I live in somewhere hot at all times, so Velour tends to feel like damp cloth after a whileā€¦

It definitely brings up the brightness but I donā€™t think more than stock. Of course we all hear a little differently. And yes treble sensitive people need to watch the volume on these regardless of pads.

From the looks of the graph I would avoid the Choice Hybrid as that looks like the highs get really crazy. The Elite Hybrid may be a good option, but are a bit pricy.

I had kind of same experince with the dekoni elite velour and others pads from other brands, I noticed with all the beyerdynamic I have and had that the best pad is the original one squized under a pile of books for a couple of days in all of them brings back the midrange that is recessed in all the beyer in a different degree and reduce the treble but the confort itā€™s kind of worst 'cause the ear touches completely the driver, all the thicker pads reduce the midrange that is the best part of all the beyer. I tryed almost everythink about modding on the beyer (tunig paper on the back of the can, toilet paper, foam, felt on the front, different padsā€¦) and squize the original pad imo still the best mod.

I just finalized my tuning by inserting a thin sheet of silk chiffon cloth under my foamless Brainwavz Microsuedes, and Im falling in love with the headphone again. :two_hearts:
It cut some of the high-end, making it less fatiguing while somehow expands the soundstage by a lot. I suspect itā€™s cause the bass is relatively slightly more emphasized, hence giving the illusion of wider sound.

@crodrig You can check your tv outputs for a coaxial. Mine has one, and it is great fun to run that sound through my e30 dac and Asgard 3. Great for Youtube clips and concerts! Have fun with your gear!

1 Like

So Iā€™ve heard great things about running these off of something like a Bottlehead Crack + Speedball (120ohm output impedance, I think?). Personally, the only tube amp I own is the Quicksilver, which I love and which the 880 600ohm sounds great off of, but that amp still has a fairly low output impedance of like, 2ohms or something. So Iā€™m not sure if the quality that people like is just that they sound great off of tubes, or if itā€™s specifically a damping factor thing with high-output-impedance amps.

Hello,

Recently I was able to try this on an Ares II (NOS) feeding RNHP and while it sounds smooth and laid back (not forward) I find its sound signature too thin and overly bright with less bass than my HD 600. Unfortunately as much as I wanted to like these I decided to send it back.

How would this compare with the Sundara 2020 rev?

It may be the sound produced by the tube amp that draws people to the crack with speedball. Also cost and diy of the tube amp for the quality you can get out of it is pretty great for its price range.

I have the dt880 and the crack is fun sounding, adds body to the mids, highs are smoothed, some bass improvements in impact and sub bass, and its warm but not very laid back with good clarity. I enjoy it.

Id assume it sounds different to your quicksilver with different tubes and the level of resolution and other technicalities would vary. I also wonder how they would compare.

2 Likes

Hello, im new here but already read alot of stuff.
I would appreciate some answers for what am i looking for. :smiley:

I searched for some good headphones and came across the dt880 600 ohm mainly from z reviews and dms.

It was pretty hyped and i have a few questions now.
My Music taste is pretty allrounded, i like orchestra/soundtrack/relax music but also heavier stuff with more bass. Would i be good with this headphones?

Now, i saw different amp suggestions. The beyer a20 was prefered by no theme reviews to get best sound of it. Here i read alot of tubes and asgard 3. Does someone have those and could compare the sound which one sound ā€œbestā€.

For my last question, i also read someone here bought Dekoni Choice Suede and removed the beyer foam to get more bass but not losing mid and high. Does someone have experience with that aswell?

Thanks for taking time to read and answer :slight_smile:

1 Like