đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

I have the DT 880 Black edition. From what I can tell, the headband is slightly smaller and less clampy than the Premium edition. Also the pads are stiffer and deeper. As such I think the signature is brighter because the ears are held further from the driver. I actually swapped the pads for the softer 880/990 pads and the headband with a pair of 770 Pros, and I think it warmed up the sound but really improved comfort on my big head.

1 Like

If you say the DT880’s don’t have sub-bass then I can tell you that you were underpowering them. They HAVE sub-bass. My balanced set was rumbling to the through songs with sub bass. They have body and detail, but I say they are more W shaped, with a slight hump on the mids.

That’s the difference between running them loud and running them with power.

1 Like

Never did I say they didn’t have sub bass nor did I say they didn’t have body. Also, pretty sure running them with a Asgard 3 or Liquid spark powers them just fine. It’s Just that I found it lacking in those areas. Though I definitely would not say it’s a W signature. Agree to disagree
 I didn’t post to argue about the fundamentals of the headphones sound only to ask about the alternative black version that appears to have a seperate frequency and sound.

If you wanted my opinion on it however, no I found it a neutral bright frequency
 the low doesn’t seem raised in it’s sound nor its frequency response and doesn’t have a very deep bass and while the bass is there I found it lacking I like a relatively good thump to my bass and sub bass this definitely didn’t land that sound to my ears despite all of its detail, the mids are more neutral very clean very natural and fairly thin but in a good way, quite a bit of air and sparkly elevated treble. Overall the headphone doesn’t sound very full and lacks in body even more so when you compare it to the 770s or 990s this is much more towards neutral and my biggest issue with it is it’s lacking points in the bass and fullness of it’s sound. The headphone is simply not for me. I asked about the black version as the possibility of potentially appreciating the headphone more.

I have heard that the pads on the black versions were much stiffer and deeper
 Haven’t tested them myself
 the only black pads I own from beyer currently is from the tygr though these are extremely soft and plush so I assume different pads? These practically disappear off my head which is quite nice. Thanks for the insight on that though I appreciate it. Perhaps this particular headphone just isn’t for me. I already own the dt 990s, 1990s, T1.2, tygrs, and bout to be 177x go so I guess I am alright.

1 Like

Based on taking apart the units, the tuning is done entirely on the headphones. I currently use ZMF Ori Suedes on my modded DT880’s and they do little to the sound change, so it’s more a comfort thing. Not enough to warrant anything you might like.

Well, I wasn’t really planning to change the pads
 more along the lines of wondering if it’s just straight up a different tuning causing that frequency response or just the black pads which are, like said currently, supposedly thicker and alter the sound accordingly. If you were to go and compare the sound signature I listed to that of the 1990 it also becomes rather apparent that in terms of frequency they are very close which I will post here

red again being the black version of the dt 880s blue is dt 1990 analytical and purple being balanced dt 1990. This is primarily what made me become curious and my buddy I speak to over the internet owns a pair of the 250 ohm black and wouldn’t shut up about how good they are. After testing the original version, and not being a big fan, I got to wondering more so after being told they are of a different tune entirely but this I do not think has been fully proven to my knowledge. Which if not ya know
 no harm done but if so and they are a different tune of course I may be interested.

@ssjdrn since you mentioned switching to the silver pads from the 880/990 this is again what got me interested. This is again the black version of the dt 880s but pad swapped over in comparison red being black pads blue being silver. This causes me to believe that the black version of the 880s is of a seperate tuning to the original 880 edition

So you took my response out of context. I was not talking about this forum. I was talking about No Theme Reviews that was referenced as evidence that Z was wrong. He is a terrible reviewer that has spent many of his reviews bashing, and ‘bashing’ is a nice way to put, Z and other reviewers. His reviews should not be taken seriously by anyone.

I see. But
 he was still right about the liquid spark. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That doesn’t matter. When you get viewers by calling Z and other reviewer A-holes, S-bags, and worse, you don’t deserve any views or mentions. I hope that the mods here would just get strike all comment about No theme. If you don’t see the problem here then you are a part of the problem.

1 Like

I get it, don’t worry.

Just don’t think that the liquid spark sucks just because No Theme said it’s good. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’d recommend the Premiums with a OTL tube amp if you want to get into them. But yeah, something like the TYGRs is probably a more all-around practical headphone.

Just got mine and it takes up a lot of space. On one hand, it’s fucking massive. On the other hand, it’s not “not” bad ass having a speaker amp on your desk for your headphones cause yeah, I’ve got some f’n hardcore headphones. Come at me, bro

3 Likes

i feel the same, doing the page 11 mod tonight

I have an Atom and gsx 1000. Would I be fine with the dt880 600 ohm or would I be held back for loud listening?

I can’t speak to the gsx1000. I’ve never heard it and I couldn’t readily find its power specs. The Atom has plenty of power for DT880. IMO, it’s not the best sonic match, but that’s a synergy thing and not a power thing. I also have some treble sensitivity. That combo is too sharp for me. However, you may like it just fine. The Atom has the power, though.

gsx1000 is pretty weak and cannot run the 600 ohm headphones. I found it struggled even with some in the 250 ohms depending on how demanding the headphone was. However, Atom will be fine

1 Like

Agree the GSX1000 amp section is not that strong. I used it for Game Ones and 58x, which it did great with, but anything harder to drive wouldn’t be my recommended pairing. The Atom would be more of a potential synergy issue if you’re at all treble sensitive, but it would get them to serviceable listening levels of volume, anyway.

1 Like

Definitely agreed here. Least it’s not as sharp as the other two beyers though. I think atom should be alright less you are very sensitive to it
 then again warmer setups seem to be best for beyers in particular due to just how bright they tend to be.

The conversation here seems to lead to the DT880 600ohm not being that special in power requirements. Now it brings up the debate over this vs TYGR 300. Does the DT880 600 outperform it in every way? Price is the same.

One thing the 880 can never beat it at is efficiency and that’s a huge thing. If I’m gonna recc something to gamers or beginner audiophiles with a $200 budget it’s a tygr recc Everytime between the 2 Headphones. The 880 600 ohm is still a 600 ohm Headphone and while we like to say it’s not that special it’s still a hard to drive Headphone

2 Likes