đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

I may have found the issue. I suspect the cable I use merges both L/R channels into one stereo mix so of course it wouldn’t be able to locate any audiospatial information or sound less detailed as I described it.
I will see when I get the new cable tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience with me lol

1 Like

That will do it lol, would really destroy fidelity

Ok, that was definitely it and everything sounds fine now. Still unsure if I hear a difference between amp and no amp but at least it’s not worse like before. Next step is a proper DAC I guess

That’s good that it was fixed lol. So an amp isn’t going to be immediately night and day, so as you spend time with the amp, and then after a few days go back to without an amp, see if you notice any differences. A dac will upgrade it further, but again not a night and day difference

You know you’re an audiophile when your autocorrect thinks you meant “dac” instead of “day”

:rofl:

6 Likes

Fixed it lol, that actually was just a mistype, I don’t have autocorrect on my pc lol

Oh, OK

You know you’re an audiophile when your brain says “day” and your fingers type “dac”

how’s that?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

That’s more accurate lol

2 Likes

Has anyone tried this with the SMSL SP200? I’m thinking of getting a pair if my amp con power it properly.

1 Like

same question, but if they don’t sound good on the 789, I doubt they’ll sound good on the sp200. basically the same amp

1 Like

So from my experience the sp200 has a better single ended out than the 789 so imo it would be better, but I personally wouldn’t recommend a thx amp in general

1 Like

It can power it just fine, but I don’t that that’s a good match sound wise imo

1 Like

Yes, I have. I found the treble to be very sharp. The spatial presentation was ok, but the 880 sounds better on the Asgard 3 than the SP200 by a fair margin, IMO.

1 Like

Also to clarify from those coming from the z review, they are powered just fine off of a magni 3+ or liquid spark, both are great amps for the headphone imo. Other amps a bit more that I like as pairings are the asgard 3 and the jds el amp ii.

They run fine off a basx a100 for sure, but you really don’t need a speaker amp whatsoever, and also it doesn’t sound as good as a well paired headphone amp for the same or less money imo

6 Likes

Thanks for the info, good to know we don’t have to spend quite that much lol.

I don’t see quite where Z is coming from by dismissing so many lower-end amps. To my ears, these sound fantastic on a Darkvoice, with qualities that surpass a 6xx and other similar-priced headphones. I think they particularly benefit from using a OTL tube amp like the Darkvoice or Little Dot mk.II, as opposed to a solid-state amp.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think he’s really should be starting to realize how poor of an amp thx is (he most likely isn’t unfortunately though), and also isn’t realizing that the cheaper amps are actually bettering the thx (so in his mind if the thx can’t the amps lower than the price of a thx can’t either?). I guess if you want to ignore the flaws of an amp, just saying the headphone is stupidly demanding and have to be used with a speaker amp works lol

Also the 880 600 do take well to a tube, it’s a pretty nice pairing

2 Likes

Yes. I agree the 880 is the standard-bearer in several sound categories in its price range. And also agree, they sound particularly good on a tube amp with quality tubes. The Darkvoice + 880 has become my current go-to for classical music and gaming.

I also agree with this. The Senn 600 series is often lauded for its midrange timbre. Maybe that’s true for the 600 itself, but the 6xx often becomes shouty and is easy to overload in the mids. When it has the resolution and isn’t shouty, its mids do sound wonderful. But when the mids get busy it lacks the resolution to separate everything. The DT880 rarely skips a beat. No shout. And only in extremely rare circumstances have I felt it might be breaking timbre in the mids.

I find this to be true when paired with the darkvoice (I honestly just don’t think those two jive) but the 6xx 650 is really nice and smooth on the liquid spark and xd05 for examples. It’s been awhile but I remember the 600 actually being the more mid forward ‘shouty’ of the two(on budget amps and hopefully I’m remembering that correctly). I did just buy a 600 again so I look forward to comparing the two again.

1 Like

I’m going to mostly agree with you here. After initially reading this comment I went back and did some listening to the 6XX on my Asgard. It sounded pretty nice overall. I still did detect a hint of shout here and there. Some acid tests for my ears are the vocals of Steven Wilson (both solo and from Porcupine Tree) and Lenny Kravitz. For whatever reason, if there’s shout, my ears will hear it on their voices. There was just trace of shout with Wilson, more noticeable with Kravitz on the Asgard + 6XX. I did notice the timbre breaking again toward the end of Wilson’s track “To The Bone”, but less so than I’ve noticed with the 6XX in the past.

I also checked the 6XX on an Atom. And WOW. Shout. Shout. Let it all out! That is a thing I can do without (had to stick that in there, too perfect to ignore :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Same deal when I switched the 6XX back to the Darkvoice. Kravitz in particular just had all kinds of shoutiness and honkiness going on. I’ll remind everyone again that my ears are pretty sensitive in that ~1K region and I’m pretty confident I perceive shoutiness before most. So, I think I agree with you. Most will find an amp that the 6XX does have those silky mids it’s lauded for. Thanks for dropping that comment.

Just to make sure we get this back to being a DT880 thread, I do not notice any of those midrange issues - shouty, or honky, or lack of resolution - on any of those amps with the DT880. To my ear, the 880 just does a better job there.

1 Like