šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

I used the perforated ones which seemed to work wellā€¦maybe the open Beyer canā€™s are more selective when it comes to pads :man_shrugging:

I kinda want to buy these phones now, not because I actually listen to headphones much these days (iemā€™s :metal:) but I miss the Beyer sound sig and I want to see if a iFi Micro iDSD can actually power them lol.

im sure the micro will be more than sufficient lol donā€™t listen to zeos :wink: ā€¦ if its Beyer sound sig youre after however these arenā€™t the typical Beyer V ā€¦ its more neutral bright imo but that said I still think you should give em a try if you want because theyā€™re really nice

1 Like

Hey is there a different between the BLACK or the Silver DT880. beyond the head band?

the pads are different as well and have an affect on the sound but are otherwise the sameā€¦ see the last handful of comments

Iā€™m really enjoying the Eikon Lambskin pads on my new to 770 250.

It also came w/ Brainwavz pu leather and hybrid pads but havenā€™t tried them yet. Curious which Brainwavz you had before?

The 600 ohm DT-880ā€™s were the 2nd pair of decent headphones I bought (first being 80 ohm 770 pros). I am glad they are finally getting some more love.

FWIW my original model Lyr seems to have no issues powering them well without distortion.

1 Like

Yeah. Z oversold the power requirement big time.

Welcome to HFGF!

Itā€™s be discussed already many time here but Z didnā€™t exaggerate that much with these headphones when it comes to power requirements. You at least need something on the level of a Magni 3+ or Hersey to drive these well. I have an Atom and SP200 and have A/B tested them, while volume matched, on the same DAC and there is very big difference in sound quality. The liquid spark is not powerful enough at 90 mw, nor is the Atom. You need at least 200 mw at 600 ohm.

1 Like

we are aloud our opinions hereā€¦ I think some of us need to just agree to disagreeā€¦ we are not arguing that it doesnā€™t scale well (or at least im not) we are just saying it does much better on the budget amps than zeos is making it out to be in our opinions

I second this statement I would pick these up over the 600 series senns for a headphone for tube amps

2 Likes

You can voice your opinion all a you want but just donā€™t present them as facts and possibly mislead people into thinking that these headphone sound wonderful on an Atom or the Liquid Spark. I gave the actual power requirements needed, to back up my opinion on these headphones. Also, the Hersey and Magni 3+ are budget amps that should work based off their specs.

absolutely and I think its wise for anyone on any forum to take comments as opinions even if there isnā€™t an IMO attached to itā€¦ but I also think there are enough trusted members on here echoing the same sentiment that it makes sense for me personally to trust it (and possibly others)

I agree. My DT880 ran extremely well on my RNHP. Some people donā€™t know the difference between voltage (what the DT880 needs) and current (planars), nor SPL values/sensitivity.

The nominal spl (sensitivity) is 96 db. This means that the DT 880 600 ohm need 43 mW at 600 ohms to hit 110 dB which is 5 V RMS. That makes them only somewhat hard to drive. You most certainly do not need a speaker amp, for the love of God.

4 Likes

Two things grabbed my attention about the power-hype in Zā€™s video:

1. The claim that if you donā€™t feed them enough power you donā€™t get the full experience
  2. The description of heaps of power not translating so much to loudness, but control

This is something Iā€™ve experienced with my loudpeakers, but not really with headphones so much. Up to this point Iā€™ve been casually satisfied with ā€œamp specs look good, these get loud enough, end of story.ā€ Except now Iā€™m not so sure it is the whole story.

I broke out my 880s today (to listen to the 880 review :nerd_face:) and I tried listening to on my SP1000+Amp, THX 887, RNHP, and Atom. All of these will drive the 880s loud enough, but all require heaps of power. The RNHP did the best out of all of these. But is it good enough? I wonder.

When I bought my speakers, I noticed significant changes in sound quality while climbing up the chain of receiver/amps. It wasnā€™t anything to do with loudness, but more a sense of the whole sound tightening up, imaging getting more coherent, details getting more precise, etc. I really got the sense that Zeos was trying to describe something similar.

In any case, with the amps I have my general impression has been that the 880s are good, but 1770s and 1990s are a fairly massive step up, mainly due to technicalities. Both of those are also 250 ohm models and likely easier to control. Theyā€™re certainly easier to drive with these amps.

Iā€™ve got a Violectric V280 on order from Drop, and thatā€™s rated for a whopping 1.8W at 600 ohms. It should deliver plenty of power to test the theory of 880s needing the extra juice for better control.

6 Likes

The only number I saw you give was the 90mW output for the Liquid Spark. Thatā€™s not what the DT880-600 requires. If you look at Innerfidelityā€™s measurements they report that the 880-600 will reach 90dB at 0.43mW and 0.514Vrms. That rms number is a sustained output. Headfonics states the Liquid Spark can do up 10 V rms output, although that website does not say at what impedance it does that. Those numbers suggest the Spark has PLENTY of power. Now, it still may not sound as good as a higher end amp (it wonā€™t), but itā€™s not because of lack of power.

3 Likes

There is a difference in making headphones loud and driving them properly that I think it is getting confused here. I never said the Atom made no sound nor did it not get loud with the 880, but the sound quality was very bad compared to the SP200. I just would feel awful if some saw Zā€™s review came to this chat and bought these because they thought their Atom or Spark was good enough and was massively disappointed. If you join Zā€™s Pateron, he does suggest some other non-speaker amps in later videos for these.

a lot of us folks on here have the experience to know the difference and for the most part (I know a few comments arenā€™t this way) we have explained why and given examples and comparisonsā€¦ its up to the potential buyer to build a trust with certain members or reviewers and move forward accordingly

2 Likes

I have a background configuring tube bias for my bass amp, as well as my drum amps. Itā€™s a tricky process. Powering the Beyers correctly isnā€™t. If you have a class A amp, you should be fine.

The only headphone that legitimately needs a speaker amp is the HE-6 with itā€™s Nominal SPL of 83 5 db.

3 Likes

All right, you guys. Iā€™ve been searching for new headphones and been doing lots of studying and reviewing. Iā€™m ready to enter the market for Hi-Fi audio and iā€™ve been eyeing the 880 600 Ohm, 990 Ohm, DT 1900 Pro, and the LCD-2 Classics. I only want 1ā€¦ at this time

I think iā€™ve settled on getting the RNHPā€™s to drive the 600 Ohm headphone if i do get one, and the Aune X8 DAC. Been trying to understand all the headphone math, but iā€™d rather have you guys explain to me if what iā€™m doing will give me the clarity and quality that I want for music. I game just as much, but music keeps me sane. i think. I like my bass, but i also like my highs. I want the large sound stage, and hearing all the softest notes to a not so harsh but well define thump in the bass thatā€™s kind to my ear drums, but can feel it in my chest.

hey @Asian_Dude could you start a new thread for this? im sure the folks here will be happy to help but having this conversation here will bog down this thread dedicated to the dt880ā€¦ welcome to the forum!

1 Like