šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Zeos suggested these can compete with $1000 cans lol. Can someone provide some insight on how these stack up against the other favorites? Whatā€™s the FR like? Is it particularly similar to anything else? Iā€™d most likely use them with my Asgard 3.

Innerfidelity did some detailed meaurements: https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/BeyerdynamicDT880600ohm.pdf

Sound signature is probably best described as neutral-bright. The Asgard 3 is a good pairing. As far as comparison to other cans, I think the mids have better timbre than HD6XX. I donā€™t have any experience with ~$1000 cans to give you any comparisons there.

1 Like

i put it here cuz it seems that there is some hype over the 880s, totally new here, but i see other bringing up other headphones against the 880 so i thought iā€™d drop it here.

200 dollar headphones

require an amp thats over 1000 dollars

Not at all, 100$ liquid spark is great with these.

BasX A100 is 229$. And thatā€™s just if you really want to hear what they can do with TONS of power (apparently wayyy better, but I havenā€™t tried).

Still damn interesting if you already have T50RPsā€¦

1 Like

dt880ā€™s and schiit lyr anyone?

i dunno how bad the power requirement on T50s really areā€¦ people keep saying them and the mods of them (especially the argons) are almost impossible to power

Just saw Zeos video on these and wow. I guess i always thought if i can hear headphones with enough volume its good. But it seems if you give certain headphones, like the dt880, a lot of power they can sound ever better. i dont fully understand this but what have you guys experienced? Iā€™m tempted to get a Emotiva amp and do the headphone mod on it. but idk, to blow 250$ on a amp iā€™m gonna use for just one or 2 headphones?

Going to chime in and saaaay I would rather listen to my T1 2nd gen or 1990 over a 880 600 ohm. T1 has that requirement of a higher tier setup too but it just sounds better imo. Your fine running the 600 ohm off a spark or magni 3+ however, gonna say I definitely donā€™t think it sounds all that great. Itā€™s decent enough though for a budget setup.

Wouldnā€™t bother on that note bud considering you already own a RNHP and about to have the bifrost. You should be plenty fine with that setup. If it still isnt enough for you perhaps look into the T1, Tygr, or 1990. You also had a darkvoice last I checked too which powers the 880 600 ohm and should make it sound good lots of people here have reported that for this headphone.

Yeah but the rnhp doesnt have a lot of power. same with the dark voice. Zeos sayss they really come alive on teh emotiva

Your call really. Wouldnā€™t buy an amp for two headphones though. just my opinion

Looks really large too

I mean, put simply I donā€™t think you would have any issues powering anything you threw at it post-mod. Itā€™s just that it may not sound the best for everything.

damn i could just kick myself too, at one time they were on sale for 150$

1 Like

Perhaps wait till later this year then and pick one up? May find a great deal on one.

I think one of the things that isnā€™t brought up with headphones alot is sensitivity, which affects how easily they are driven in equal to measure resistance.
Take the t1 gen 2s
theyā€™re also 600 ohm like the dt880-600s but theyā€™re easier to drive because their sensitivity is roughly 101 db per watt where as the 880s are like 89-90

In my experience both play a role. upping the gain drives my Stellias way better than low and affects the detail and range of the sound

5 Likes

T50RP mods apparently require more power. Iā€™d say for stock T50RPs, 1 watt is enough. If my volume is at 50% on my JDS Atom (+ high gain switch on), itā€™s dangerous for my ears I think.

@PABastien That is what I said earlier, but people wanted to argue instead of have a civilized conversation, lol.

The perforated ones if I recall correctly :+1:

1 Like