đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

The black pads are less even and not as good imo, stock 880 pads are my favorite so far

2 Likes

Yeah a lot of people say the treble is actually harsher on the black version, and it is less refined overall than the regular silver color. So actually the silver color is better in almost every case.

1 Like

To be fair they were very slightly bright as first but that went away. Now they are probably the most well rounded headphone in the arsenal.

Maybe I should try different pads just to see. :thinking::face_with_monocle:

Does Dekoni make any, if so are they any good?

Personally I would pick up the stock grey silver 880 pads, but I can’t really say anything regarding aftermarket as the stock pads were my fave imo

1 Like

Nice review, @epic225. I enjoyed the read. IMO the 880’s treble is tuned to walk that line between “bright” and “sibilant.” It really depends on the recording whether it’s just a tad treble focused in its signature or just a tad sharp. My ear detects just a hint of that “metallic” treble character that the DT990 often has, but not to the point where it can regularly affect overall tonality (like the 990 does, IMO). However, the 880 mids are really good, the imaging strong, soundstage above average at this price point. I also don’t think they are bass “lite”. They have that reputation but I don’t think it’s deserved. I like my bass, and the 880 doesn’t leave me wanting.

4 Likes

Thanks!

Yeah, they are definitely not bass lite. I’m used to the Hifiman HE4XX sound stage so that is my bases for comparison.

1 Like

nice review, was intrigued when you said the soundstage was good but not particularly big. I guess im Just used to beyers having big soundstage lol

Yeah, I’m used to the 4XX sound stage. It also doesn’t feel quite as large the Focal Clear either, but it’s not as small as the KPH30i.

That’s why I view the 880 sound stage as being in the middle ground.

1 Like

I should probably start referencing the headphones I use for comparison.

1 Like

makes sense, the 4xx does have a pretty damn wide soundstage. But the timbre of the 880, how would you compare it with the 4xx in particular? I’ve again, not used the 880 but i’ve found the timbre of the 4xx to be a little too fake with certain genres. Found most of my beyers to be pretty good, and the 58x having the best timbre so far. wonder if it would again be placed in the middle lol

How do you personally define Timbre? I know the by the book definition, but I don’t think you mean tone do you?

1 Like

Tonally the 880 sound good to my ears. Instruments sound like what you’d expect. They sound accurate

M0N is more of an expert on Timbre. It has something to do with how natural they sound or not. For example, the HD600 have a very natural timbre, whereas something like maybe the DT770 might not have as natural, but different. It’s hard to explain lol.

1 Like

Yeah, I know what it means by true definition. It is another word that is people use instead of tone. I didn’t know if that what Jose meant by it though. I know the on cymbal on Hey Nineteen have a very realistic and clear sound. The resonance floats through the air like you’d expect if you’ve ever hit a cymbal. The problem though is its hard to say it it sounds tonally just like the cymbal the drummer was hitting.

I guess the true test would be to have someone that is well versed in a particular set of instruments and have them blindly listen to a recording and see if they can pick out a particular brand or model etc

but yes, I’d say the DT880 sound natural or should I say have a natural timbre.

1 Like

The basic definition would be for everything to sound real, as you hear it in life. For example the voices in the 4xx are a little bit too thin and inhuman at times. I think you are right when you say i might be meaning tone

1 Like

Is there a difference between the Premiums and The Pro version of this headphone?

The premium has a bit less clamp and a slightly more comfortable fit imo, and also has a straight cable. The pro has a bit more clamp and a coiled cable

2 Likes

So the dt990pro for gaming is a good option?

2 Likes

Out of all the other similarly priced headphones the 880 are the best one for gaming.

I think the 880 600 ohm is the best out of the lower end beyer lineup with the most detail, most refined signature, and the best ability to recreate a space, which is really nice for gaming

2 Likes