šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Not a switch to flip, but a button to press

Looked into it. The button just turns it into two mono headphone amps. So you can have two musicians side by side getting their own mix.

I thought so, does not look like it. If you want balanced from LakePeople, you need to go VioElectric or Nimbus Audio

Oh WOW! does that mean its balanced?!

Itā€™s really cool when you are trying to compare headphones. I was going back forth multiple times today checking out sounds from two VERY different headphones. Cool idea.

2 Likes

oh that is cool indeed. i really want this amp

would you happen to know how it compares to the RNHP?

I have never heard it. It is made by the same company that makes Violectric and that is how I know the technology. @Hazi59 may be able to comment on the comparison?

Nice. Thatā€™s the idea I was going for. G105 looks faux-balanced like the SP200 though. The G111 seems like it might be a balanced amp but with SE headphone outputs:

Might be a more useful feature on the G111?

Also this is a DT880 thread. These amps will do great with the DT880 600 ohm! :grinning:

2 Likes

600mW for 600ohm. sounds good to me :slightly_smiling_face:

Not sure. When you go discrete over integrated, you can tune circuits to have negative (or positive) be equal to ground. If that is what LakePeople did, it would explain why they have so high power numbers compared to other SE amps.

Edit: I might have a G103-S soon, if it shares more than the name with the G103-P, I might have answers soon :tm:

I think I can chime in on this. I have the G109 at 590mw at 600 ohms. I use it for my sundaras (I ended up buying them theyā€™re so good). Power is way more than enough. Sundaras have low sensitivity even if they are listed at 37 ohms. I donā€™t go past 12 oā€™clock to get really loud.

The two jack thing, at least for me, is useful for ABā€™ing headphones and of course for listening with someone else. Itā€™s also much cheaper I think than the G111 of course, which I have no experience with. But I have no complaints at all. I bought mine for 190 euros open box new (used once).

Engineering detail and precision is second to none. No corners cut, as far as my understanding allows.

As far as the DT880 goes, I used to own one and really enjoyed it and I think I might buy it again once I have more funds. I think it will work great on the G109 --> especially in smoothing out the treble but also in raising the volume of the details the 880ā€™s are capable of presenting without raising the noise floor at all. Itā€™s an extremely quiet amp as far as my hearing can tell. Iā€™ve never heard it distort at any volume, even max.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure that itā€™s just raw power that the DT880 600 ohm headphones need.
Beyerdynamic recommends their A2 amplifier, and one youtuber was impressed with it,
so I think the headphones might just need a lot of voltage swing (explaining why balanced works so well.)

Iā€™ve ordered the Beyerdynamic A20 amplifier (which has similar specs to the A2) so I will see how that compares to my Magni 3+ in the coming weeks.

3 Likes

Nice would like to hear your opinion when you get it

Its another 2 port amp. 100 mW / 600 Ī© but the page says ā€œCan be connected easily to any high-level source for 600-Ohm headphonesā€

It should pair just fine seeing how it was designed specifically for beyerdynamics. Would be interesting to hear how it performs

Their A2 amp is much more expensive at 1300$. But still only delivers 100 mW / 600 Ī©. but it says the same thing as the A20. Found this in the manual. not sure what it means for 600ohm headphones. most amps put out this much to 600ohms. If it was higher like 600mW or more it would make more sense:

They seem kinda clueless. why put a gain switch on the bottom of the amp?

1 Like

But also a pretty definitive statement from a maker of 600ohm headphones that 100mW is enough power to make their products perform what they consider to be their best.

4 Likes

Or they could be just clueless. From Zeos tests he says they need a lot of power

:thinking: Zeos a reviewer who says you need a nuclear power plant to power these or the actual developer themselves of the very same headphone who claim their amp is plenty powerful and makes their headphone sound good.

Pretty sure I will have to give that one 100% to the actual developers as I would assume they know exactly what they are doing regarding their own equipment

4 Likes

hmm, iā€™m gonna give it to Zeos. Heā€™s tested a LOT of amps and headphones over the years. And from what ive seen manufacturers of headphones dont usually make better amps than companies where that is there thing.

2 Likes

They bundle the two together even https://europe.beyerdynamic.com/wynton.html so I think it goes without question that beyerdynamic believes it can bring the dt 880 to itā€™s best

2 Likes