šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

I got a pair on a whim lately, and theyā€™re quite good! They donā€™t stand up to my other (much higher priced) cans, of course. But Iā€™ve never heard a set of hjeadphones under $400 that can compete with the level of detail and tonality. And they definitely blow other BD cans in the same price range out of the water.

I had a quirky experience when I first tried them that they made me queasy after about 45 minutes of listen time. The only other time I had that experience was with the MassDrop HiFiMan HE4xx. I canā€™t tell you what it is, but I switched back to other headphones and the feeling went away. Donā€™t take this to mean that you will have the same experience. Iā€™m the only one that Iā€™ve heard having it. Iā€™m 40-something and in good health, without any ENT, GI or neuro issues that might cause dizziness or nausea, BTW.

1 Like

I wonder if thatā€™s something fit related with the headband (since both the 4xx and 880 have the more traditional style headband)

Thatā€™s an interesting possibility, M0N. Suspension headbands and Focals are all my other cans, so maybe pressure on a particular part of my head? Iā€™ll try to find a way to change the headphone pressure on my next session with them.

Or maybe I have my own personal ā€œbrown noteā€ that both cans have a frequency peak in? :rofl: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

Just kidding on that.

Do you think it had to do with something audio related? Like is there something that jumps out that would make you feel sick? Sometimes phase and polarity issues can make people feel like that, or pressure issues

Thatā€™s smart thinking. I do feel like there a slight ā€œoff-kilterā€ feeling to their sound profile, but that can also be associated with width and soundstage to my earsā€¦ Iā€™ll give them a closer inspection next time I give a listen.

In the mean time, breaking in the drivers at the same time I break in the headband!

Thatā€™s smart thinking. I do feel like there a slight ā€œoff-kilterā€ feeling to their sound profile, but that can also be associated with width and soundstage to my earsā€¦ Iā€™ll give them a closer inspection next time I give a listen. Thanks.

In the mean time, just to see if the fit is the cause Iā€™m breakng in the headband at the same time I break in the drivers!

Ahhhhhh you got the black pads, ok. Perhaps consider picking up some genuine beyer 880 silver pads, perhaps that might make things fit better for you. The black pads are stiffer and less comfortable imo, also they kinda tilt the sound brighter and sound a bit less refined than the 880 silver. They are also a bit thinner and wider too, so it might fit better on your head

2 Likes

Oh yeah, the black pads mess up the original sound of the silver some. The silver are much more accurate and refined, less harshness from what I hear.

Oh no! I just bought on looks. I should have known there would be a sonic difference too. Treble may be the culprit.

Grey pads ordered!

2 Likes

Yep, donā€™t worry about it, itā€™s a common mistake people make with these, they go for the cooler looking black color. The pads are really the only thing as far as I know that they did differently to change the sound.
The silver should sound much better. Hope you like them more!

Yeah just make sure itā€™s the legit pads for the 880, as the 770 grey pads differ. The 880 and 990 come with the same pads

3 Likes

This is true.

What a world we live in. It was actually easier and quicker for me to just buy the grey ones and return the blacks entire. First world problems!

One benefit, aside from saving money and time, is I will have both at the same time, so I can do some side to side.

4 Likes

Awesome! Will love to hear your thoughts when you get them.

Any update on the silver dt880 vs the black dt880?

my vote is the silver over the black for three reasonsā€¦ #1 the pro is tight, the black premium is super loose, and the silver premium is just right. #2 the head band on the black premium has this weird rubbery, hair grabbing, texture to it. #3 on the versions i had the velour fabric was not the same. the silver was noticeably softer.

1 Like

I mean, the pads on the black are also the reason why they sound less refined and accurate than the regular silver color.

1 Like

Oh, thank you for reminding me to follow up.

I simply couldnā€™t use them. They both made me very queasy and ā€œmotion sick.ā€ I couldn wear them. Like I said before, Iā€™ve only had that experience once before. But the sensation happened within a couple minutes of putting them on, got worse as I weared them, and wore off within a minute or so of taking them off or switching to another headphone. I tried it on different days, both weekedsd and weekdays, so itā€™s not like I was having an off day either.

YMMV, and obviously itā€™s a rare thing because I donā€™t thin that Iā€™ve ever heard anybody else complain of that. Maybe Iā€™m just sensitive to something specific to these and the HE-400. #delicateconstitution #bornthisway

2 Likes

Did you try just having them sit on your head and not playing anything to see if it was fitment or sound? Either way they werenā€™t staying, but Iā€™m just curious what it was now lol

I have a similar issue with the Beyerdynamics Iā€™ve tried. Iā€™m not really treble sensitive, so itā€™s not that, but they didnā€™t work at all for me. I still own 770s, but I had to return the 1990s I bought. Only headphone I ever returned, but the RE2000 is going to be the 2nd