đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ω

Look no further, get a tube buffer. I can honestly vouch 100% for it and I’m not afraid to shill the hell of this setup. It’s inexpensive and will blow your socks off. Well, at least it did for me on my Tygr 300 R cans. I tried going back to no buffer for reference after a couple weeks and my A3 just sounds incomplete without it. Cheap Tube Buffer vs Darkvoice 336SE

for the 880 600 ohm? nah I disagree, I would whole heartedly snag a dark voice for this one any day of the week. I have to almost max out the asgard 3 to get it to full potential and it still lacks on the warmth for me thats with the tube buffer
 dark voice works beautifully for this headphone

1 Like

I haven’t tried it with high impedance headphones, I didn’t think it’d be that hard to drive. Thanks for the input.

it’s not that it’s like extremely demanding
 it’s the scaling and the fact it’s quite neutral bright so not much on the low end. Dark voice really helps fill out the lows
 asgard 3 powers it just fine as well I just prefer tubes for it on an actual tube amp honestly

1 Like

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I recently purchased my first setup with the DT880 600 ohm. The first week was great but now I am getting a lot of hissing, crackling, distortion. It is not constant but it is frequent. My equipment is as follows:

Lake People G103S
E30
DT880 600 ohm.

How difficult is it to damage the headphones? Not that I put them that loud but can they be damage from going too loud? On my PC I have the PC volume sliders between 50-80% and then the AMP volume at about 10 o’clock. If I change tracks I get pop and I feel like music is randomly distorting. Any ideas?

Try and separate which item could be damaged. Try the headphones on a different source

Then try and just use the amp if you are able to

Then if both work, it could be your dac

Also check the drivers on your computer

And try a different source on your dac too

1 Like

This could be a dac issue, make sure to install the e30 drivers, set the bit depth and sample rate to 24/96 for now, and make sure to disable any windows audio enhancements if you are using windows for all of this

Also there isn’t a constant buzz, hiss, or hum correct?

Also as @Bmn1251 suggests try out another headphone and see if you get similar results

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately I do not have any other equipment to swap around and I know no one who has anything for me to borrow to test.

I have the updated firmware and drivers already installed but I did just double check, when I did update the drivers about a week ago I seem to have lost some functionality on the DAC. According to the manual I can adjust the volume of the DAC with my remote but it does not work.

I have set the bit depth and sample rate to 24/96 and I will test. Also, this is not a constant hum or hiss, or not that I can hear at least.

Thanks,

You can adjust it if you set the E30 to pre amp mode, if I remember correctly holding down the power button allows you to choose the option.

Try using the headphones on the PC’s headphone out to see if it’s the headphone.

Yes it’s most likely set itself back to dac mode during the update

@Saltcreek see if that stops some of the playback issues (make sure to restart the pc after you installed the drivers)

Done a restart and doing some experimenting. I did not realise the 600ohm’s could be just plugged into another PC so I did that. Some songs that I heard the popping/crackling are there on the other PC and with just standard USB headphones, so it is the song. I guess it is just much more noticeable with the DT880’s.

With that said there is now significantly less popping. I set the output on the Topping control panel to 24 bit from 32 bit and that seems to have made a difference. Should I get drivers for ASIO? Says it is not active at the moment.

Finally, pre-amp or DAC mode preferred? I still think there is something not quite right but it may be in my head. Actually, one thing, Amazon music sounds terrible so I have to use spotify.

That can happen for sure with higher resolution headphones

Yes that can happen since windows generally has issues with 32 bit audio, and you don’t need it anyways

You should already have the asio driver, but you just aren’t using it, so no need to worry

Personally I would use dac mode, I would set the windows volume to max, and then only control volume through the amp

If you get the chance try some lossless music, should be pretty nice

1 Like

Amazon has a higher quality service with Amazon HD Music now. If you have a bunch of playlists and such in Amazon already it might be an easier transition that way.

Glad you’re figuring things out. I hope you enjoy the gear! This hobby is a money pit but also deeply rewarding. Welcome aboard!

Would you say the Elite Velour are closer to stock or Choice Suede? I tried the Choice Suede but didn’t like them. I ordered the Velour to replace them but if they sound too far off from the stock pads I might just cancel my order.

Between the two closer and better sounding then stock. In my opinion. They just
sweeten the sound. It’s smoother, I think a little richer and keeps all the detail and everything the DT880s do well.

1 Like

Gr8 to hear. Now I’m excited to hear them lol

1 Like

I’ trying out the choice suede/elite sheepskin/elite hybrids tight now and the while the choice suede definitely have the most bass, I can second that they darken everything notably compared to the other two. The difference between the hybrids and sheepskin is much harder to make out, but both increase bass compared to the base pads and are more comfortable.

I can also attest to a tube taking off the edge. I only have an FX audio pre-(tube)-amp but it does sound a little less harsh and improves bass, not by much for either but it’s noticable and it cost me less than the pads.

1 Like

Hey all, came into some holiday shopping money so I ordered these after binging Zeos’ reviews all week. Main reason: Z said a speaker amp would be needed to drive them and it just so happens that my “amp” is a Yamaha RX-V363 home theater doodad (yeah I’m real technical). I sorta just inhertied it from my roomates and my current daily driver is SHP9500 with Brainwavz. Second reason: My cousin has had DT660s for about a decade now and when I’ve used them I thought they were super comfy and these looked similar in design.

The “ships” I have now are basically the most expensive " " high end " " headphones I’ve ever owned (high end needs double quotes in this case) and I like 'em a lot especially powered by this behemoth. I’m excited to try the DT880 and I’m trying not to hype myself up to much on it.

Anyway I’ll report back with some more hopefully funny words when I get some listening done.

:question: :question: :question:

My bad, it was DTS 770 Pro