šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT880 600Ī©

Basicly its the same price in my country and i heared alot good about the a30 pro.
After your positiv comment about the a30 pro i really consider to get one :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Has anyone seen these headphones, they looks like a cheap clone of the 880s, thoughts?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=43242&trk_msg=5VL0KOV1HR3K543D64R2R0US0G&trk_contact=9LTIJTVOTNFUC6VK542E9FCDVS&trk_sid=U298NT8O35P5A6OBMMTKQ33GLK&trk_link=VNPRF4U6O6S435J95QGKCVC5CO&cl=res&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Hero+Banner&utm_campaign=210914_tuesday

They look like them but donā€™t think monoprice got the drivers cause I canā€™t remember any beyers with 60 ohms :crazy_face:

Have seen a similar headphone for another company in my country, this is probably a Chinese OEM made to look similar. Since the cups are oval and not round, and the impedance is different I guess this is a different driver.

If you want to try Beyer on the cheap, keep a lookout for them in the used market. Had seems some as cheap as $100.

Iā€™ve been looking for an inexpensive yet good complement to my Sundaras. Finally bought this 880/600 to see what the fuss is all aboutā€¦OH!!! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Paired with the Asgard 3.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve not heard Sundara but am under the impression that Sundara and 880 have similar signatures. Iā€™m curious how they compare after youā€™ve had a through listen. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Will doā€¦have had a week. Similar, yet some differences. Will elaborate after more time
with them.

5 Likes

Ok, Iā€™ve had these for over 2 weeks now and feel I can do a comparison of them with the
Sundara. Some prelims: Though I have lots of music experience, I have limited gear experience compared to many others here. I used the Topping e30 dac (2v. output) and
Asgard 3. Much has already been written about all 4 products so I will try to limit this to
the comparison. Please note that I do have some HF hearing loss, due to years of
percussion and, wellā€¦justā€¦years! My reason for trying the 880 is that I am looking for a dynamic which presents with more immediacy as a complement to the Sundara, which has a bit of extra reverb (echo, hall resonance, etc.) that, while enjoyable, is sometimes too much for my taste. The Sennheisers Iā€™ve tried do have good mids for the vocals I love, but I find their soundstage too narrow and they sound a bit stuffy (yes, I hear that veil.)
Similaritiesā€¦both are (imo) neutral bright, with enough bass but are a bit light there.
Both are clean and detailed and satisfying to me.
Differences: Like a carburetor adjustmentā€¦leaner to richer! My first impression of the 880 was ā€œtautā€ and lean. The Sundara a bit thicker but still detailed. I feel the 880 has a bit better instrument separation in busy sections. Probably most noticeable for me is that the Sundaraā€™s vocals are more forward and i can more easily discern lyrics at a softer volume, whereas I need to turn up the 880 a little more to hear them. Soā€¦the vocals on the 880 are more in line with the rest of the mix (more even FR) which I came to enjoy as very ā€œnaturalā€ after a week or so. The 880 seems always ā€œcontrolledā€ throughout, in a good way, but especially in the fast bass passages. For me, they excel with live jazz recordings (Davisā€¦Kind of Blue and Emilie Claire Barlowā€¦Live in Tokyo) where that separation really stands out and the room ambience is wonderful! I played a variety of genresā€¦orchestral, rock, choral, solo guitar and piano etc. and though these headphones are similar in general there are enough differences in presentation for me to keep both. BTW the pot settings for me on the Asgard are 10 to 11 oā€™clock for the Sundara and 2 to 3 oā€™clock for the 880!
The DT 880/600 makes me want to sit up and listen carefullyā€¦the Sundara is more immersive and I can get lost in them for hours! Great fun! A quick PSā€¦for some amazing close mic vocal presence try Dominique Fils-Aimee ā€œBirdsā€ or ā€œRiseā€ from her
ā€œNamelessā€ album. Forgot to add, both have very good timbre, tho I feel the 880 sounds a bit more natural.

5 Likes

@elementze Thank you! Been looking for that eq experience answer! Iā€™ve had my 880/600 almost 2 months and love it (for well recorded tracks,lol) There are times when
I would like a bit richer, fuller low end and have been considering the Loki.
So far itā€™s been a nice dynamic driver complement to the Sundaras. Love their detail and instrument separation!! (see above)

1 Like

Loki should fit the bill. DT880ā€™s bass responds very well to EQ IME.

1 Like

@WaveTheory Thanks for confirming! Plan to order one this week. Will be fun to try with
the Sundaras too.

1 Like

Hello WaveTheory, if I could get your take on this. I was given an HD6XX and a DT880 600 ohm as a gift.

I did some online research plus watched your youtube video reviews on both these headphones and found that both of them will perform or match very well with an OTL amp.

I am planning to get both Feliks Echo Mk2 and Lake People G111 as a tube and solid state amp for both.

My question is, will both the HD6XX and the DT880 ā€œsound differentā€ or have a different ā€œsound signatureā€ when being driven either by the echo or the G111? Or will they be more or less the same? If just the same? which alternative amplifier would you recommend?

If I remember correctly you said that the HD6XX is like having two different headphones when driven by a solid-state and a tube amp.

I just want both of these headphones at their peak or near peak performance and best possible sound quality.

Do you have any other tube and solid-state combination for these 2 headphones around the USD$1800 price point? BHC will not be an option as I do not want to DIY.

My current DAC right now is a Topping E50 which I plan to upgrade to a Bifrost 2 in a couple of years. My source is just my PC and will run Spotify Premium.

It will be great if M0N can also give an opinion on this.

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

I have the dt880 600ohm and hd600 and pair them with an xduoo ta-26 and itā€™s an absolute treat to my ears

The Feliks Echo Mk2 is a highly recommended tube amp around here, although I havenā€™t personally heard it myself.

I can tell you that the 6XX on a tube (DarkVoice) amp with good tubes is a truly enjoyable listening experience for me, and if I had started with that to begin with, I probably wouldnā€™t have gone down this audio rabbit hole. It is exceptional for listening to rock and metal.

And yes it sounds different than a good solid state amp, especially depending on the tubes you roll.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply @alphamarshan and @Dt_Ale. I appreciate it.

1 Like

Had these in for a while. Leather headbands from Turbulent labs. Pricy but a godsend for everyday wear!

5 Likes

I tried the Dekoni Elite Velour with my DT880 Pro Black 250 Ohm (modded, i use the edition headband instead of the pro headband and the stock grey pads instead of the black pads) and im quite dissapointed. They add a lot of soundstage, but it sounds super unnatural for me, vocals are way too distant and feel kinda echoing. The tuning also changes quite a bit, it makes it way too dark for my liking.

I dont know if its only because of the shape of my head, but I also noticed, that the Elite Velours are super sensitive to compression/clamping force. They sound very different, depending on if i use it with the pro or edition headband or if i bend the headband to a wider shape.

I also tried the DT1990 analytical pads with my DT880s and they actually sound quite good. They dont add as much bass as the standard black pads which come with the DT880 Black Edition, they just boost it enough to make it an overall warmer sound, it stills sounds very balanced to my ear. So if somebody here has the DT1990 and the DT880 at home, i would definitely suggest to try the analytic pads on your 880s.

1 Like

What do you think about Zen Can for the 250 ohm (and 600ohm). Are they enough? Iā€™m using the Zen Dac atm for the 250 and the headphones are heavily pushing the Zen Dac with power matching on. Maybe I need some more juice? Why Iā€™m asking about Zen Can is because its easier to find around 100 bucks used in EU, where as the Atom and liquids goes for 160 bucks, and I would have to buy dacs and pay more for it.

1 Like

Would be an upgrade indeed.
Zen DAC 13mW at 300 Ohm (Single ended)
Zen CAN 161mW at 300 Ohm (Single ended)

If you could rewire your headphone to be balanced then you would get 645mW at 300 Ohm out of the Zen CAN. If you can use it only single ended then something like a SP200 (326mW) or L50 (636mW) would make more sense (Same power XLR and SE). Used condition they are a little higher in price than 100ā‚¬ though.

For the Zen CAN you also need a DAC. For all 3 Amps you could use the Zen DAC as, well, a DAC. So you also could keep the truebass function.