Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm Balance Mod

Right. On Friday ill try the multimeter method. Sending pics here when they’re done. Thank you for the fast replies!

1 Like

Drilled three holes in the left cup, but it’s working. The sound from the Taurus MKII is sensational!

Thank you, thank you for this guide :smiley: I think im enjoying this headphone more than my Ananda, for classical music.

7 Likes

You’re welcome! Looking good there! The sugru really fixes it well.

Yeah, when modded and able to take more power in from balanced outputs, the DT880’s are one of most detailed headphones under $500.

1 Like

Dt 880 and Sundaras have the most details I’ve heard under 500. They are both great to pair with warmer,darker headphones too, edition xx,nighthawks, etc. And a nice detailed closed back are the elegia, which you can find under 500 too. Good stuff! Just my own headphone experience. :slight_smile: I think the k712 and 6xx can probably get thrown in there too :+1:

Great guide! Really detailed and super helpful with the wiring diagrams. I’ve also created a video walkthrough on this process using my original single sided method, but on both sides, effectively doing the same thing that you posted here but with my “snap in” jacks

3 Likes

Oh boy! Your original how-to served as a starting point to what I did, so thank you for doing just that! The new balance mod video would help a lot of people too cause it helps illustrate better than my word-vomit. :smiley:

Yeah, I opted for smaller jacks because I wasn’t sure how much space I had to work with. The snaps-ons look much neater too. I just thought a drill was less fussy and I wanted a bit more angle instead of going straight down.

1 Like

I finished my DT880-600 balanced mod today!

Sugru does work really well plugging the existing holes in the cups:

One word of caution if you’re gonna try this…I did make one mistake that ended up not being a problem because of the highly symmetirc design Beyer put into these. See if you can spot it:

If you noticed the red electrical tape - which I’m using to mark the right channel - is covering the plugged stock cable hole, YOU WIN! I wasn’t paying close enough attention and drilled the new jack hole on the wrong side of that stock cable opening as viewed front to back. Oops. But, because of the new dual entry and pretty much everything being symmetric, the fix was easy. Just make what was the left cup the right cup. I even was able to flip the headband around so that the “R” on the head band is on the same side as that red piece of electrical tape.

So far so good. Everything works. Both SE and balanced cables I have on hand are playing fine.

11 Likes

Haha, I can see that happening too. I was very careful with mine. What I did was remove the pads, put the cups together, then mark both sides roughly where I wanted to drill with a white marker. That’s why that weird cross shape in my pictures as I roughly figured out the best place to drill.

Glad you managed to fix yours without too much trouble. Looking very good there too.

Thank ya thank ya. Your guide was also quite helpful. Mine was wired the same way yours was, fwiw.

2 Likes

Hey guys. I have a 2011-12 pair of DT880 600 ohms that I’m considering balance modding. I open the headphone and I see this. Any thoughts on what I should do in regards to ground?

Edit: Holy shit I found a Head-fi thread from 2006 with this exact configuration. I think I’m saved:

2 Likes

I was going to say. They wouldn’t have changed much from before so white would still be hot and whatever else colour would be ground.

A reference like that for older DT880’s would come handy too.

That’s what I was hoping. But the issue now is that the ground isn’t a shielded wire. I think it’s just a copper coil? Not sure how I should approach this. Maybe I should buy some heatshrink.

My pair had a small yellow dot next to the + driver terminal on both channels.

You can use heatshrink. You could also carefully desolder them, then use other wires as well if have spare on hand (like from the unused 3.5mm cable once cut it off).

If I were you, i won’t unsheath the cable going from the driver once I cut it. I’d just cut it to length, strip, then solder the wires as is to the jacks.

1 Like

Had a hiccup or two along the way, but it’s done. Now I gotta wait on my balanced cable :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

How bad is this?

1 Like

I doubt you’ll notice it

2 Likes

Yea about to finish the mod, will see when it cools down

Is it just a small puncture in white damping material?

Yes, and lucky enough i have 2 pairs right now on hand, so i can compare