đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic DT990 600Ω

Since you have the liquid spark give em a try I those should help with the splashy symbols and add Abit more body to the sound glad you like them they are also my favorite sub $200 beyer

1 Like

Also if you wanna eq them I found just taking out about 2 db from the 10 k and 1 db from the 9k helped me

2 Likes

Glad you finally got to try them. What rice said in dialing back the 9k and 10k by a couple decibels is correct and should fix the issue otherwise it may be in the 7k and 8k which is where the biggest part of the peak is. Never had the issue with the seal though it doesn’t seem to form much of a seal in comparison to the other two to begin with especially when I had the 250 ohms. 600 ohms has what appears to be more clamp force and firmer pads on it. I would ask beyer about that fit issue though just incase it really is defective. Like rice mentioned amps like the Liquid spark or others that can tame that treble a bit are great for the headphone. As a last resort you can use a foam insert or pop off the pad remove the foam and ring and place something like 1-4 ply toilet paper cut to size behind the foam then repiece the headphone back together this will drastically drop that treble, though lower the bass, the other alternative would be to buy a cable filter. Dekoni elite velour pads work well on it as well

1 Like

I just listened to my whole playlist 80 songs with them and they sounded really good. people make it sound like the treble is killer. it really isnt. ive had other headphone with worse treble. maybe its the 600ohms or the RNHP amp. but the treble is not that bad at all. with the dt770 i had to turn on the EQ on some tracks. on the 990 i didnt have to.

I just got my bifrost DAC and its controlling the treble even more than the SU8 DAC. That and the warmth of the RNHP is one of the reasons i got it. the 990 sounds great

2 Likes

I wish the headband clamp on the 990 was stronger. I noticed when i used these headbands:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OY9KCH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that the 990 got much more warmth and body. didnt sound thin at all. i thought it sounded much better. think i’ll continue using them

Both actually. RNHP is a great pairing though weak for a 600 ohm unfortunately it still deals with that brightness really well which is why it’s fantastic for the 250 ohm dt990 as well as the 1990 as that is 250 ohm as well. The 600 ohm refines that treble big time as the 250 ohm variation is much brighter which is probably where it gets such a horrid reputation for being so bright.

Oh the bifrost most definitely! I love the bifrost pairing with beyers it does incredibly well for them. Glad to see you are enjoying it.

I am sure there are ways to tighten that up more I just don’t really know lol. I do however, see what you mean by it gets more warm and body to it’s sound with more clamp, though mine were pretty damn clamp heavy when I bought them so maybe yours is stretched out already? Dunno, never really had the issues.

Currently, I am sitting with the Helios.

You can buy the pro headband with all the pieces from beyerdynamic to make a 600 ohm drivers fit a pro headband. I tried to remember how my dt990 600ohm all black limited edition sounded. The headband on those was really loose.

Just picked them up on an Amazon 5 pay, Emotiva arrives Tuesday, will be a nice shootout between the 880’s

Definitely unsure how that will perform with the ever super sharp dt 990s. They are a lot sharper in comparison. Just be warned on that one. Love the headphone but I only recommend the headphone mainly to those who love very sharp V signatures or a lot of treble. Definitely let me know your thoughts though as I am very interested considering how good the emotiva is considered to be.

1 Like

Most definitely, dac will be D50s until I can pick up the Enog, but that god tier video has me so intrigued. I’m praying that the damping factor and control will smooth it out. I need to do more research on proper burn in though, the 880’s are still in the case, literally been waiting for the entire setup before I give thoughts. 600 0hm vs 600 ohm, heavy anticipation

If it can sorten out that ethereal treble while keeping that detail? That would be one hell of a amp for the beyers. My asgard 3 works well for it but it’s still pretty sharp. The detail on both the 880 and 990 are actually pretty damn crazy when you actually sit and listen to them with a good pairing amp and dac. Though I am unsure as the 990s have a very different sound signature in comparison to the more neutral bright dt 880s. I really wish they would make a 600 ohm variation of the DT 1990s or 1770s. Kind of curious what beyerdynamic has in the works for next production headphone

1 Like

And just so you know this will all be stock, no eq or pad swaps. I just have to know for myself and my own ears, now granted I’m more coming from a production side than fun listening, but I’ll have all my .wavs vs the best streaming I’ve heard so far ( Amazon HD) I listen to a crazy mix of stuff as well from heavy bass music to classical to metal. I like having different headphones for different genres so I’m not gonna go into expecting an all a rounder. I’m hoping 1990’s are in my future though, after that graph with the pad swap you showed
there just comes a time to taste a bunch and that time is just now for me. 6xx comes next week as well so I’ll have a crazy mix of stuff

This is what I do when I audition so I am glad to hear that. I dislike reviewers who just start out with well yeah so I swapped the pads and eq’d them and blah blah no
 I wanna know how they sound stock and perform then if you change something okay so was there an issue that caused that or just did it sound better to that persons preference. I like the dt 990s straight up stock and wouldn’t have it any other way though it’s a picker one I will give it that if you pair it wrong at all with an amp or dac it doesn’t like it damn sure will tell you that one by screeching your ears out or sounding incredibly “thin”.

I will put it this way
 dt 990s and 1990s are similar in the fact that they are aggressive however 1990s fix essentially anything I could see wrong with the 990s. They are too good in my book and in terms of that signature one of the best I have ever heard so far. The fact that the three pads can offer different sound signature styles is incredible. The analytical pads sound more like an 880 but with more body, the Dekonis sound closer to a U signature kind of like the 177x but much more open and balanced is closer to the 990s cause it becomes bassy as hell and recesses the mids while keeping that brightness. With those balanced pads you can actually equalize the treble a bit higher and it will sound fairly close in comparison which surprised me as I thought it would turn sibilant.

2 Likes

Ahhh ur killin me, 1990’s have been the goal for so long then I got mixed up in DACs, Amps, interfaces, studio monitors the list goes on
this was literally an “ oh hey let me check amazon” and shiiit lol, -plus where I live and with Covid there is literally no where to try mid/high end 
yes I totally agree with reviews, I just wanna know stock, it becomes a science experiment after that, only thing I’m worried about is the dac but in my mind I would rather ‘tone control” with cables or pads, I want the dac to be a clear window, idk I have my biases like everyone else.

Oh one last thing, any thoughts on the tygrs since you’ve had more time or is it a pass?

I wouldn’t be too worried about the 1990s on their amps and dacs they aren’t anywhere near as fussy as say the 600 ohm beyers, dt 990, dt 880, and good lord with the T1.2 changing so drastically based on its setup over there. I would say pick up the 990s, more so if you like 880s, and try them. If you like both of them but feel they could be improved, in dt 880s case you feel it lacked body cause it does and in dt 990s case the mids are a bit too recessed and the treble is incredibly peaky, than definitely try the 1990s. However, if you wanted a more laid back and less aggressive headphone like the dt 990s but can be balanced or paired to a tube amp then I would immediately point to the T1.2 as that headphone is unbelievable for the person who prefers a more laid back listening experience with a high end set of equipment.

I used the Topping E30 for a while there
 very clean sounding and budget it hits a bit above its price point in my opinion as other dacs I had tried just didn’t sound as good. I ended up switching to the Bifrost and that’s my official dac golden standard especially for beyers. It really opens them up and brings out all those finite details you have with the beyers cleaning up the sound wonderfully though it’s a very expensive dac.

Psh, what you thought I got rid of them? lmao definitely not. The only real complaints I had was that I felt the mids should be more present, it suffered from a lack of clarity though after studying the design it’s moddable so I assume this can be fixed I haven’t fully taken it apart but from the sound I assume theres some foam or something in there causing this slight tone to it, and the damn cable wasn’t detachable.

However, due to it being centered around gaming. I do Feel it is essentially one of the best if not the best in the gaming genre and contends very well with the other beyerdynamics in terms of gaming. Fidelios major flaw is that the bass is very muddy and can be pretty overwhelming but it’s bonus points go to the fact it can make use of V-moda other than this I feel that the tygr is just in every shape and form better outside of that odd clarity concern though this also have been my personal setup or the treble dip it has in the frequency, I have yet to test this but upon looking at the frequency a part of the treble actually drops a bit under neutral then peaks up to make it somewhat brighter it’s a little inconsistent so amping that particular area may fix this problem entirely.

Right now for beyers I use asgard 3 + Bifrost 2 multibit for my 1990s and dt 990s and Liquid Platinum + Bifrost 2 for my T1.2 since I have it balanced I should note that I am considering just giving up the asgard 3 as since I got the platinum I don’t find much use for it outside of those headphones that don’t perform well with a hybrid amp

i appreciate all this detail and help, at my desk i have the Monolith THX Amp/Dac, only because of value and desk space, only balanced i will have will be the 600’s, 6xx, and 58x
for beyers i have the 770 80 (limited edition with black pads) and 250 0hm, the 880’s and now the 990’s. i think i have a good mix at this point to properly discern but not having the 1990’s yet bothers me (fomo i guess) im also looking at the bottlehead otl something fierce because of the Senns but that higher ohm load makes me think they will tame that treble and fill the beyers out
im actually pretty impressed with this Topping dac, i was looking at the E30 as well but wanted Bluetooth for Soundcloud
great now i have to look at the T1, i feel like im collecting the whole set lol

haha man you were one of the first to get them, then they sold out, i was have expecting to see them on ebay for triple the price
 i don’t game whatsoever so i dont really have a reference there, but when he said it was 90% what the 880’s were and an easier to drive ohm load i was like whaaat, will def pick up a set when they come back, why not

and all this ironically while im hooked up to a btr 5 to my tv with KSC75’s watching Zeos unboxing, what is life lol

i was interested in some of the Schiit stuff until Gesheilli, thinking hard on that triple stack as well, but id like to get the bottlehead and tuba first
does this ever end?

I wanted to elaborate a bit more for the tygrs. As you can see where I circled on the frequency towards the treble I believe this is the cause of that weird clarity issue to cause it to sound either darker or slightly muffled, which is one of the things I realized even quicker when pairing it to my magni 3+ I had borrowed at the time. I don’t have this particular issue with other beyers but it is something I noticed fast. I just pulled it out and sure enough raising this particular area of the frequency wakes it up a bit more and it sounds better to my ear so maybe a mishap of the frequency or perhaps they wanted it to sound like that
 dunno.

Haven’t got this one yet. Been recommended several times though alongside it’s speedball add on. That or the dark voice are said to be great. It’s said to be able to fill in the warmth and body to the dt 880s which is the glaring problems I have had with it alongside that and help with the dt 990s mids though these are all subjective points of view so I will take that as just opinions.

Really only if you want the more relaxed sound, it’s also brighter than the 1990s with a rounded bass instead of the 1990s which have a more planar like bass slam to them.

I mean, thats what I ended up doing. I owned the dt series of 770, 880 and 990. Since the upgrades though I did away with my 770s and 880s. Now I have the 990s, T1.2, 1990s, Tygrs, MMX300(not sure if I am keeping this one yet debateable), and 177x GO. I also tried the DT 880s special edition Black version which sounds different to the original more bass but still lacking body wasn’t a big fan. In terms of the T1.2 I will definitely only recommend this to someone who owns a higher set of equipment like me at the moment as these just don’t do very well on the lower budget equipment in my opinion. The T1.2 I would say is a huge upgrade for someone who already owns the DT 880s or 990s but then again so is teh 1990s it boils down to what sound preference you have. Brighter and more fun but relaxed = T1.2 meanwhile Neutral with flexible signatures yet very analytical and surgical = 1990

If you mean the tygrs then yes. In terms of the detail and the like they are pretty close, however I found the highs to be much better on the dt 880s it honestly feels like a polar opposite signature to the 880s in comparison considering it’s warm instead of bright. All the beyers have their own type of signature is what I love about them.

I am not particularly a fan of geshelli as anytime I hear reviews on them they don’t sound good for a beyerdynamic however I feel they would pair well for other headphones that aren’t so bright.

Nope not really not until you make it end. Personally, I want a full on tube amp and think I am alright with the platinum and bifrost for my personal preferences they really make any of my headphones sing beautifully. I have however considered a Tube preamp as well considering my buddy pairing one with his THX 789 which I believe I have mentioned on another post. Sounded great. Also thinking of picking up a Loki equalizer for ease of use for when I get that headphone I don’t feel like nit picking on the peace apo

1 Like

so that chart is exactly why i feel the jubilees are veiled, like i noticed that the first few tracks, but i do like playing a tad louder but i just cant take the lack of clarity
if i can keep that Beyer sub bass, i could probably deal

Im definitely learning more about system synergy as opposed to just buying products, i went the beyer route first for studio use ( im in an apartment) so getting loud was just not possible, ive had sony’s and audio technicas but wanted to try and was completely floored with that sub bass
now im trying to chase that dragon just levels up
i feel the otl’s might be the answer to the Beyer treble, but im still an infant with synergy
1990’s, i just know and respect alot of producers who swear by them, and i just gotta know, but pad swap might give me a more all around feel to them, this was BEFORE i joined the forum, now it’s all up in the air you know. Im finally back to just enjoying music again

Birthday is August so im treating my self to the Bottlehead, all the upgrades and such, found a great builder, then from there who knows, would like a pure class A, Whammy has me intrigued

Well at least i know who to go to with all my Beyer questions, thanks for all the insight tonight man, i really appreciate it
oh he just did an unboxing and got the Dekoni Choice Suede’s for the 880’s, haven’t delved into pads yet but the ones you mentioned and these should be a good starting point
if my ears can take suede, not sure the heat on those