Beyerdynamic Refresh - DT 900 Pro X and DT 700 Pro X

Yea, I dont see it being a problem either. Pad swaps is usually to fix a problem(comfort or sound) and their should be none. Plus beyer pad least for a long time.

I can see your point here, though in cases like LP and other amps where sound quality can be definitely noticed in the balanced port it would have been nice to make use of this in a new beyer. It’s something I can get over… though it annoys me a bit.

Pad rolling on beyers is definitely fairly common… not so much for “fixing” an issue but to adopt other sound traits in the signature as an example suedes on the 880 to make them a more warm sounding headphone. That plus, the pads here arent bad at all but not being able to use them on other beyers that use the much thinner velour pad(which flatten over the course of 6 months to a year) is just upsetting imo it would have been a nice trait to have a beyer pad like this that fits other beyers… since something like this is also commonly used on 1990 as well from dekoni…

More just my personal opinion though

1 Like

Yeah, I‘m probably in the minority since I mostly enjoy velour earpads

Nice thing about the 4 pin is if you have an interconnect cable, you can just plug something like 177x into the interconnect split. I do it all the time with my 177x. Balanced my 990 600ohms with a 4 pin mini just for that reason.

They’re in!

9 Likes

Just arrived…

7 Likes

Any first impressions of the 700? I also want to order them

VERY EARLY first/initial impressions:

• I think they look great!
  • The earpads are way plushier and more comfortable than I was expecting. They’re very soft and have more depth than the 770. Not sure if they will stand the test of time but I’m pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they are.
  • To understand my feelings about the sound, it helps to understand that for me the 770 were so sibilant I could barely listen to them for more than 5-10min, that classic Beyer treble spike just murdered me. I’m sensitive to treble and these flirt with it but they’ve clearly reduced the treble spike at 6-8k, which for ME personally is great and what I was looking for, but others may say it’s missing the detail they expect to hear in those ranges.
  • I heard the 770 a few years ago and have since upgraded my stack to a Bifrost 2 / Jotunheim 2 and it’s possible the source upgrade is part of it, but it has way better bass than I remember the 770 having.
  • Anyway, I need to let my ears get used to them but so far pleasantly surprised - will keep listening and letting them break in.
5 Likes

Yea I am noticing this too… this new direction with this driver I think is better. To me there is no shrill or sibilance that I am hearing. These are much more pleasant while still being neutral sounding. That goes for both versions.

3 Likes

I will say this… 900 pro is… quite something actually

7 Likes

A DT-770 without treble murder spike would be great for me.

1 Like

My 700 Pro arrived yesterday. I‘ve not had much time to listen to them yet but first impressions were quite positive:

• Love the looks and build quality. Feels sturdy, the height adjust mechanism feels nice and has small steps.

• The earpads are so damn comfortable. Quite deep as well compared to other headphones.

• Clamping force ootb is on the higher side, no problem for me but ymmv.

• Detachable cable is obviously a good thing. The connector feels sturdy.

• On the sound: first thing that struck me were detail and separation. Was able to pick apart different instruments well without a loss in coherency. So really coherent as well. I usually like to test things like detail and separation with acoustic tracks or orchestras since I can pick out any odd or weird sounding instruments quite easily there.

• also no hot zones in the frequency response to my ears. have yet to hear any sibilance.

Again, very early impressions, but if they keep this trend they are winners

8 Likes

This is what I was looking for beyer to do when I say the foam tuning inserts looking like the on that come with amiron homes and tygr I knew we were in for a more chill beyer experience. Now only if we had a damn 800x

This is something Beyer’s most popular headphones I find to be decent to be great at. As a big beyer fan it’s always nice to get that confirmed with new releases

2 Likes

are they hard to drive? I want to use them on the go with my BTR5

1 Like

^ there you have your answer, plenty loud for me

48 Ohms Resistance with 100db SPL, very efficient set of headphones

1 Like

The BTR5 drives them easily as well

1 Like

Some pictures:

Really like that the Box is made out of 100% recycled paper. Kudos to Beyer on that!

4 Likes

Well, sort of kudos. It’s recyclable, not recycled. Sorry, I’m a true pedant.
I’m loving the way these look and would be quite excited if I didn’t have a new pair of 880 600s waiting for me at home right now. Been in the damn hospital and found them being mentioned on here as a tube lovers favourite, so I had to have them. Saw a few tube amps in photos next to the new versions so please let us know how they tube.

1 Like

They better be good. The DT900 pro x is playing in Sundara’s zone, and we all know how capable the Sundara is. Can’t wait to see if they still tune it based on diffuse field or Harman or what