Beyerdynamic Refresh - DT 900 Pro X and DT 700 Pro X

I‘m going to order a pair of DT 700 Pro X. I‘m still missing a good pair of closed back headphones in my collection and these look like they‘ll do. The detachable cable and new drivers convinced me.

The first German reviews are out and we’re really positive. The borderline is that they seem to be an upgrade to the 770/990 in sound quality. One reviewer compared the 900 Pro X to the Sennheiser HD650 and said that they are very close. Looks like a win to me.

3 Likes

me too!
10CHAR

1 Like

Also, given that these have new drivers that doesn’t make them a Refresh but their own thing if I‘m not mistaken?

1 Like

Close to the hd650??? mmmm I hope they keep the soundstage and imagine

1 Like

Yeah

Also, here is an extensive review on the DT 700 Pro X:

https://www.areadvd.de/tests/test-beyerdynamic-dt-700-pro-x-neuer-geschlossener-over-ear-kopfhoerer-aus-heilbronn/

It‘s in German but copy-pasting it into DeepL translate should give readable English output :wink:

1 Like

That’s very interesting, if that’s the case that’s a massive deviation for beyer, wonder how it will turn out

2 Likes

Yea I ordered both from amazon. Should be here on Saturday. I would of just got the DT 700 pro x close-back, but I am also curious about the 900 pro x as well.

2 Likes

Rick you are the man! I got a UPS tracking from my order(beyer site). I will get it probably next week. Keep the dt700 pro x in good shape I will happily snag them from you

Lol well… they will end up going back if I don’t find them to my liking. So we will see.

1 Like

JK. Let us know how they sound, as always.

1 Like

Right on, yea will do.

3 Likes

I’ll drop my thoughts later since I have sat with beyers entire lineup. Should be interesting

2 Likes

probably one of the few who is gonna say this now…

the idea from beyer to change how the pads are swapped is the dumbest thing they could have done imo… why the hell would you implement a completely different pad ring adapter attached to the pad itself that isn’t compatible with any other headphone in your lineup…? Not only does this completely destroy any pad swapping capabilities(without the adapter) but it means that these brand new pads can’t be used on other beyers either(the adapter is different to the 1990 and T1 3rd gen as well). At the same time why a 3 pin mini xlr still? its common knowledge at this point that many people love their beyers balanced or just want to use their balanced amplifiers and the 4 pin was a pretty good thing when it came to the 177x go over there… yet they stick to a 3 pin xlr mini incapable of being balanced? I mean, least the headband is sorta replaceable? it just pops off but theres not much you can do in terms of replacing it in this regard. cant really confirm if dekonis headband will fit it just yet…

more thoughts on this later I suppose… It will take some time before I actually sit down with some full sound thoughts, I won’t be listening to any form of “review” right now because nobody has really gotten the time to truly sit down and listen with these for an extended period just yet.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t see the issue with 3-Pin Mini XLR. Not only is it a sturdy and widely available standardized connector, but Single Ended is completely fine, especially if you actually listen over a good quality Amp.

I just got shipping notice on my pair, will arrive tomorrow.

4 Likes

Balanced signals certainly have their advantage, but with a lot of cheap-er gear, it is a gimmick more than a feature.

1 Like

True, especially Channel Separation is much better on Balanced. But a good SE output still comes very close and it completely adequate. That‘s why I did not understand the complaints about 3-Pin Mini XLR. Just seemed like weird nitpicking ^^

I think I’ll buy the Dt700 Pro and compare them to my Sivga Robin. I wasn’t that impressed by the Sivga so I hope that the Beyers will be a better closed back

At least the pads look comfortable enough, so that pad swapping is not a requirement.

I don’t understand why the pad attachment mechanism being different is a problem either way. When you need new pads, you buy some from beyer or a third party manufacturer and don’t source it from an existing pair or prior model.