šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

Not exactly, itā€™s just that there is a large difference between the cheaper stuff and the higher end tube amps, and also there are many different tube amps with different voicing, although the cheaper stuff tends to be similar to one another (sloppy, def warmer and thicker sounding but sacrificing detail and refinement, like the darkvoice or something)

Well the fact that you canā€™t run it balanced also is an issue lol. But the plat is a warmer and smoother amp either way

I would tend to agree, itā€™s cleaner than the lp with a bit more forward sound, and tighter sounding overall, but doesnā€™t have the brittleness of the treble like some other budget amps. But this again is going off the idea that you are using the plat single ended which is a no no for sound quality

I mean yes actually in your case if you wanted something more neutral. I wouldnā€™t call it bright or analytical, but itā€™s a somewhat neutral tube amp. The stock tubes make it a bit midrange focused but with some swaps it can be pretty neutral tbh. Itā€™s still a difference from a solid state or hybrid, but the tuba is more reminiscent to higher end tube amps vs being compared to a darkvoice or something

The crack + speedball is going for something pretty colored, dynamic and impactful, and very full sounding, where the tuba is going for more even sound and refinement. Also the tuba being transformer coupled with high and low z will work with more headphones correctly than the crack (but still not the best with planar, I would look to other tube amps in the range if you want something that handles planar well)

3 Likes

Thanks. And keep an eye out for sales, maybe? Part of what fueled my Beyer binge was finding good deals on all that stuff. Looks like Woo Audio may have the 880 for $170 still, though form what Iā€™ve seen prices have been climbing on most of the Beyer stuff over the past few months.
https://wooaudio.com/specials/dt880

Iā€™d have to get back to you on that. I have a ZMF Pendant arriving imminently (expecting it to ship maybe next week?), and will be throwing all of my higher-impedance cans on it to see how they do. Granted, the ZMFs will get the first rideā€“especially the Verite Closed that Iā€™ve been eagerly awaiting for ~3 months now.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised I didnā€™t see that deal earlier. I think I may be getting 880s todayā€¦

Itā€™s an older deal, but seems to still be up. They also have a few other decent Beyer deals, including a Gen 1 T1:
https://wooaudio.com/specials/

Just for frame of reference, hereā€™s roughly what I paid and where for my Beyers:
177x Go: $380 (sale price) @ Drop
1990s: $409 @ NewEgg (ElectronicsExpo)
1770 Pro: $426 @ Amazon
T1.2: $599 @ Ebay (Focus Camera)
880-600 Ohm: $166 @ Amazon

I got the 177x in February, and all of the others were newer purchases than that, so those are pretty recent prices. Apparently I got rather good deals on all of those; 880s seem to be trending closer to $200+ and the rest are all $50 more, give or take, except for the 1990s, which are quite a bit more expensive. The $409 price appears to be a bit of a fluke.

Anyway, I figured Iā€™d leave a snapshot of recent prices so anyone looking for any of these can judge what might be a good current rate or a deal worth jumping on.

3 Likes

So after doing some more research I came across the topping a90 and d90 amp and dac. Anyone have any experience with the amp and dac with these phones

Hereā€™s a link to a mini-review of the A90 by @M0N. He doesnā€™t say what heapdhones he used, though.

After doing more research, Iā€™m thinking of going with the JDS Labs EL II Stack. The DAC and amp and their all-in-one brother have gotten excellent reviews, and seem to have the characteristics Iā€™m looking for. And theyā€™re made in America. The amp has 165 mW for 600 Ī© and the T1 is 102 dB @ 1 mW (500 Hz), so it seems like the amp should be powerful enough. Some of the reviews Iā€™ve seen have included the DT 880 600 Ī©, and they said there was plenty of headroom in the amp.

1 Like

As a recent T1 convert.

I can not recommend the T1.2nd Generation, running balanced to the Liquid Platinum enough. Warms it up, spaces everything out, brings down the harsh treble.

Before I got the Liquid Platinum, I found the T1s hard to drive through Single-Ended and even through some balanced amps. When you warm up the T1, it really shines.

3 Likes

Sounds good! Looking forward to a full report!

Hello everybody I am kinda new to the forum but since this is the thread for the Beyerdynamic T1 I was wondering if anyone had advice on finding a full headphone assembly for this headset since mine is coming apart after many new years of use. Any help or direction on the matter would be much appreciated since I donā€™t want to part with these headphones since they are my daily. Have a nice rest of your day whoever is reading this.

Does anyone know what the break in period for these headphones are? Just curious.

So, as my impressions continue, my opinions of the T1 Gen 2 are becoming clearer.
I donā€™t hate this headphone, itā€™s quite good for things like guitars and clean base, orchestral. but as it stands there are some issues that need to be sussed out that I guess can either be fixed with EQ. Or continue using my dumb DIY tuning till I get a smoother sounding amp with the nano black label.
The high points arenā€™t like killing me, but on the amps Iā€™m currently using, there is thisā€¦ metallic shimmer at high points Iā€™m not sure how to describe. It sometimes overpowers the mix, especially on cheaper amps. Itā€™s also present on my chord dac but to a finer degree that is more tolerable. So I assume the detail of that isnā€™t working in its favor atm.

1 Like

As it stands this is what I had to do to get the shimmer under control with minimal detail loss

Edit: Iā€™m starting to think its not totally the Beyers or the amps. Iā€™ve had a minor bug the last day or so and it seems to have made me sensitive to frequencies at 5-9K for some god damn reason. Put on my Listens and started having the same problem at the exact same frequency range just less pronounced. Weird.

Further adventures in T1 listening
Itā€™s a general mix of amp weakness (Over driving the t1s on these amps seem to be causing the metalling shearing on s noises) and my own ears from being sick
As my ears get better and I turn the amp down to about 70 percent it pretty much goes away for the most part

Does anyone find the T1 v2 bass boomy? Iā€™ve never heard anyone bring it up. Really nothing but praise for the T1 sound. Makes me think maybe I have a defective set?

It depends on your amp and setup, personally on a good amp I donā€™t find them boomy but ymmv

Ok I was using a3 and Modius. I have the 1990 and when I first got them used the balanced pads. I tried them with the a pads for about 2 seconds and at that time I didnā€™t like them butā€¦ I guess my sound preference has changed over the last year or so and now I donā€™t like the b pads. To me the T1 low end sounds like the 1990 with the b pads.

Hmmmmm. You could go higher on the amp to better address bass control, but if you arenā€™t liking them and your preferences have changed I donā€™t know if itā€™s worthwhile to go up amp wise and might just be a better idea to go for a different headphone

Boy thats one thing I never would consider the T1ā€™s to be ā€œboomyā€ !!! ???

This to me is really oddā€¦

I wont say its booming, but I personally dont like the modius+A3 with the t1.2nd. I prefer the modius Thx789 running balanced for the t1.2nd. The bass gets really tight and you get some fast slam.