đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

For the Canucks on the board there are some T1.2’s on CAM. I made a feeble trade attempt.
He is asking $750.00.

1 Like

just sent my t1.2 in for warranty and they arrived today. Since they sent out my fixed t1.2 today (within 8 hours), I am assuming they sent out a NIB t1.2
?

I found this t1.2nd that was 600$, now is 500$ it says open box.

2 Likes

Still waiting on dekoni to release the angled pads for Beyers. I did message them a ways back they said it’s on the project list. I would prefer some angled pads on my T1 but they said probably next year it will be finished

So my very first impressions on the T1.2 are that it sounds awesome and very important, it is actually comfortable. The 1990 had too much clamp for me, which was one of the reasons to send it back.
I think it sounds very well rounded. Had actually a weird moment were i heard something in a song that ive not noticed before and it came from a very weird place that i didnÂŽt know existed ( but it was awesome :D)

5 Likes

Moved a bunch of posts regarding the T1 3rd Gen, for now if you want to talk about the 3rd gen, please use the 3rd gen thread

2 Likes

Also side note for t1.2 owners, if you get your hands on a current drive amp, the t1.2 changes drastically lol, it becomes extremely transparent and overall the headphone greatly increases in speed, detail, and linearity, like I could easily use the t1.2 for studio no problem with a current drive amp, it’s like it’s a different headphone. Also the treble becomes extremely linear as well, no beyer treble peakiness. You do trade a bit of impact (and the headphone becomes less forgiving) but man is it worth it, also you do get a much more holographic stage too.

3 Likes

What’s an example of a current drive amp you recommend?

Right now I’m using re/leaf e3 hybrid dc monoblocks, but those were a pita to get, but you might be able to find a bakoon hpa-21 or hpa-01, or perhaps a qes hpba-2 mkii, there aren’t many out there tbh. I know the questyle stuff says it’s “current mode” but I don’t know if they just mean it’s high current or actually current drive, either way, I don’t get the massive change that I do from the re/leaf/bakoon/qes with the questyle

Edit: I should also mention amps like this have transformed the hd800s as well from demos I’ve had with them

I looked up the HPA 21 and its listed as archive on Bakoon’s website so I suppose that that’s been discontinued. But the HPA 01 is still available for purchase

Yes I think they slimmed it down, but you should still be able to find the 21 out in the used market, the hpa 01 sounds similar with perhaps a bit less power imo (although I haven’t heard them side by side, but I have heard both separately). Also a note on the current drive amps, the lower impedance dynamics tend to sound not great lol (the utopia sounds pretty piss poor on the re/leaf for example), and planar can work fine if the amp can push enough power

Regarding QES Reference. There was a comment under one of Zeos’ videos that said the guy making those died about a year ago

Yes the company is no longer in business as well, really unfortunate

That sucks

Checked Canuck Audiomart. Only the 01’s for sale

Yeah now for current drive amps it seems like slim pickings, you don’t really have many options anymore, other things I can think of are really old amps or one off designs

I don’t know how usefull this is. But First Watt’s new amp, the F8, is described by Nelson Pass as “a current feedback amplifier (CFA) as opposed to the J2’s voltage feedback (VFA) differential input.”

Looking through headfi archives, back around 10-11 years ago people were using the F1 amps from first watt as current headphone amp

I want to try one out for sure, just have to wait a bit lol, but I do know of more current drive speaker amps than headphone amps (seems like the f8 would be current drive but I don’t know too much about electronics so idk for sure lol)

Yeah. I know the basics of calculating ohms impedance and current but very little about electronics themselves. I want the F8 as well.

I know that neither of my amps really solve the issue I have with the T1s where if I push the volume beyond a certain point there is an extreme sharpness around 6-10k that depending on the day hurts my ears or nauseates me, but I like the sound a lot despite that and the amp section on the my Hugo TT 2 does the best at taming that (about 50 percent less than the Micro BL)

One of the reasons (that I was told) the t1 and 880 600 sound so different on current drive amps is because it pretty much removes headphone impedance out of the equation, and that causes it to basically ignore the changes in impedance on a driver (since with most headphones you have impedance curves and at certain freq the impedance of the headphone changes), and that’s prob why stuff like the utopia sound wrong but idk (the utopia’s bass goes boomy and out of control, the midrange sounds off, and the treble gets kinda strangely peaky)

Unfortunately that’s just beyers tuning, the only way to really fix that if you are still having issues with the tt and the bl (also just wondering what filter are you using on the hugo and idsd), you are pretty much either going to have to go with a tube amp or a current drive amp for the most part

1 Like