šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

I mean, you can just get some dekoni elite velour and replicate the comfort. Unlike the 900 pro x which has zero pad swaps as of right now(to my knowledge)ā€¦ the original beyers have pads of every fabric for them and they respond fine to most of them with velour and perforated leather keeping the stock sound for the most part.

1 Like

So after months of owning these babies (though keep in mind I didnā€™t use them every day and did alternate once in a while between my Hemps and XS) and I finally decided to slap on the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Fens that came with the deal I got because I need the T1 pads for my 770s while my 770 pads dry (long story, just washed them, and only use the 770s these days for listening to tv audio) and wowā€¦ donā€™t I feel like a fool for waiting this long. The T1s are known for their sound stage, but when your other cans are giant Hifimans and Hemps with the big pads just about anything can sound narrower. Iā€™m not a sound stage slut like some people as I care more about imaging, but when your listening to the others the T1s could sound a little claustrophobic.

Enter the Dekoni pads- I thought there wasnā€™t going to be much of a difference, but most people say do it for the comfort anyway. I personally think the T1 stock pads are very comfortable, and yes these Dekoni pads are even better, but damnā€¦ owning a T1 without these pads should almost be a crime. Claustrophobia gone, and I could swear thereā€™s even a slight increase in the detail. Slight, but still there IMO. I went from thinking ā€œDo I move on?ā€ to ā€œThese are definitely staying nowā€. As I said, being an imaging whore means I probably wouldnā€™t have parted with these anyway because damn, if you think the imaging on XS is good (and it is, very) but doesnā€™t hold a candle to these T1s. Long live the T1s!

P.S.- Is it ridiculous Iā€™m running the T1s balanced from a Soloist 3X on Med gain at around 70 or high around 40ish? Iā€™ve seen someone on here say they run their T1s SE from the Soloist 3X because itā€™s so powerful for dynamic cans, but here I am running balanced on medium or high gain. I listen to Amazon Music HD (exclusive mode, volume equalization off) and my DAC is balanced at the standard 4V. Not a big deal, just curious if Iā€™m deaf or something

2 Likes

Are you using the Soloist 3xp in power amp mode?
Do you hear any noise in med to high gain?

Iā€™m running mine at 40-70 volume from the windows volume controller (power amp mode).
My chain:
BF2 > Balanced > Soloist 3xp > Balanced > t1.2nd

I have neither a pre amp nor a DAC with a volume control. I have used that mode when I used to have a ZEN, and it did seem louder, but Iā€™m not willing to let Windows have control- especially as itā€™s mostly said that if Windows is anything less than 100 it will effect SQ. A lot of people do swear by the Power Amp mode using a DAC with a volume control, but on the other hand you have people like MON who say that unless your pre amp is of very good quality, use the volume control built into the Burson. I donā€™t know how much of anything I just said is true, but I do notice a start quality difference if Amazon Music isnā€™t running in Exclusive mode so that option is out for me. Itā€™s not a big deal to me to use higher gain settings or volume, I just want to see if this is abnormal given my current setup

1 Like

I donā€™t know the seller but anyone in the UK at this price it might worth a punt :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just copped a gen2 for $300. Looking for a Valhalla 2 now.

I wonder if should still consider the ATH R70X/HD600 I was looking at, before I found this crazy deal.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a great price! The lowest Iā€™ve seen is $350.

1 Like

The pain! Whereā€™d you score the deal?
Iā€™d say that you should listen to them and then go from there. Both of those headphones should be somewhat complimentary to the T1.2 rather than duplicative.

And when you decide they arenā€™t for you, I have an R70X + a bit of cash to trade you (I have two, will never have zero).

Beyerdynamic balanced XLR on sale!

Reddit.

I had the 6XX for 5 years and got rid of them last year because I never gelled with them. So that kinda took away my interest in the 600s. Itā€™d be awesome to hear the R70X, if I regret the T1s Iā€™ll reach out, but I doubt it lol

What do you guys use for tube amp? I got an Asgard 3, Yamaha AS700 and an mCTH currently, Iā€™ve been wanting a Valhalla 2 for so long, but I was also too into planars to give that a try. Now Iā€™m back with dynamics after buying this and the K702.

1 Like

Iā€™m a fan of the Xduoo hybrid tube amp series. Good power and flexibility. I specifically love them for my 600 ohm 880s and 990s, excellent at taming those highs. Iā€™ve also wanted to hear the Valhalla 2 for quite a while.

im not saying you should get the 600ā€™s, but they are quite good for certain things. but, and this varies a lot in opinion, i feel they need a tube in the equation. there are lots who like them on solid state, i am not one of them. there are those who like them with gooey tubeness, i am not one. i like them with my bottlehead crack with the speedball mod. takes a little of the tubeness out and adds some agility(ie less decay). but i like them even better on my lyr3. the lyr3 almost completely lifts the veil from the 600 series. i donā€™t know why, maybe the sheer horsepower it has combined with the tube. anyways, just something to consider still down the road.

Iā€™m ready.
If you can do a full plunge on a dedicated amp for these high impedance cans and really want ā€œfull tubeā€ I say go to BHC+SB if budget allows. If it doesnā€™t or assembly/availability is a challenge: DV or xDuoo TA-26 I think is the clone. Valhalla doesnā€™t get as much love so it can be found for good value in secondary. It is more polite for an OTL and lacks flexibility of the hybrids. I love those affordable xDuoo hybrids for what they are - but if you have multiple rigs you should go for a full OTL cartoonish type. Lyr 3 another mega-powerful all-arounder hybrid, butā€¦ If you donā€™t need versatility - go for the gusto.

I like how you think. I donā€™t quite want to spend BHC money, since Iā€™ve been saving that for a Bifrost 2 upgrade in my speaker system, but Ill check out the Val2 and SW51.

this, lyr 3 is a bit different and may be more affordable to some while performing well, dark voice if you want a wetter more tubier sound for cheaper, and if you want a beefy hybrid tube ampā€¦ id say liquid platinum

1 Like

Copped a DarkVoice with some tubes for $150 and itā€™s been bliss with the T1.2. I donā€™t think I want to use it with my SS or Hybrids anymore, at least not until I swap out my Asgard for a Lyr lol

3 Likes

Trying to listen to some sound demos comparing the beyer line and found this:

The T1 here sound the worst by LONG shot.
Likeā€¦there has top be something going wrong there right?
I donā€™t hear any redeeming qualities in this demo.

They sounded a pretty flat to me in other demos, but not to this extent?

Sound Demos may not prove all that fruitfulā€¦ Do we know which generation T1? Do we know the impedance of classic series used? Source gear?

In shopping the Beyer line, what are you seeking?

1 Like

In some vids they say, not in that one, but it doesnā€™t really matter.
All the models there are being tested on the same gear, song and rig.

You might not be able to tell how it sounds per se, but you can compare them.
I own the DT880 so I know what hose sound like, so that gives me a reference point.
The T1s there seem to have less sub bass extension and sound less alive in the highs and mids to me.

I like the 880s, but I am looking for just a little more bass, more punch, more body.
And slightly high mids would be a bonus. The next ā€œobviousā€ choice then would be to stay in the family and go higher end, but in this one AND the other sound demons I had comparing the two, these seem less capable in every aspect?

Itā€™s just this particular demo is much more pronounced than others to me. But the impressions I got were the same across demos. I have trouble wrapping my mind around that though.
The T1s are like 5 times the price at this moment and I donā€™t see any reason why you would get them over the DT880s? The 880s sounded consistently better to me across demos.

They might be mixing high impedance versions with lower ones and not adapting for volume, but that would only make them louder. They wouldnā€™t change their signature.

Mon, Iā€™ve got my girlfriend & I each a set of 600ohm 880s. Previously I didnā€™t like them that much, but I hadnā€™t run then on a Singxer SA1 until earlier this evening. Now Iā€™m liking them bunches. Itā€™s odd to me though that the 880s arenā€™t as interesting on the Topping A70 Pro. The 880s donā€™t like the Xduoo TA26 either it seems. My 600ohm 990s love both of those amps. I compared the 880s & 990s side by side on the TA 26 & the 880s sounded small vs the 990s. The 880s seem a bit boring on the A70 Pro.

Im not sure if Ive used the 990s on the SA1. Ill have to do another comparison 880 vs 990 with the SA1. The 880s like it though, for sure.

2 Likes