đŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

Clamp is lighter than HD600. I wouldn’t rely on it to survive bopping.

lol ^ this. Then again, I wouldn’t rely on sennheisers staying that way either since they eventually loosen up quite a bit

Any headphone with similar technicalities/sound that have a higher clamp force on them?

:thinking: Similar in the overall performance/signature of this one? You’d need a fellow brighter headphone but most of them definitely aren’t capable of this. Sennheiser has that skull crush head clamp to it as is but the comparison to the T1 here is actually the HD800S which definitely doesn’t come with the typical sennheiser head clamp. You could probably throw some thick pads on the T1 here to help it hold
 but really no headphone is that great for headbanging lol. Closed backs tend to clamp harder so perhaps that’s an avenue you can take but none to my knowledge have this kind of sound. I can definitely say the 1990 clamps harder than the T1 but they are quite different from one another.

Well not like headbanging clamp force and stability or anything. Just like enough to not move if I look up or down, or slide around when moving my head left-right. That kinda force and stability, I don’t need skullcrushing clamp as long as it doesn’t move too much.

And what’s the difference from the 1990 to the T1?

well mines been stretched the hell out, but I dont really have issues with movements, only time I feel it move is when I turn my head all the way it shifts a little

bass
 1990 has more planar like slam t1 is rounded. T1 is also a bit bassier in the upper bass less 1990 is using B pads

mids: 1990 quite neutral on the cleaner side of things. T1s signature has a bit more raised mids where the frequency arcs from the upper bass to the lower treble(i will post the graph to show this as well)

highs
 1990 is analytical as all hell some people think its slightly grainy but its very bright. T1 while very bright is smoother and rounded off

soundstage: T1’s curved drivers and less dampening easily give it more

imaging about even 1990 is a bit better due to design but its slight

separation eh about even same as imaging reasons

clamp 1990 has more clamp

presentation of sound
 1990 is analytical and designed to pick out flaws in music. T1 is the much more relaxed bright sound and is extremely similar in tone to the HD 800S with a very smooth and relaxed tone

scaling
 t1 is 600 ohms and scales a hell of a lot higher with better equipment than 1990 does at 250 ohm
 especially in the case of tube amps

T1 above 1990 bottom graph with its two pad types balanced in blue analytical in purple

So it kinda sounds like to me the T1 is more similar to the 1990 and less different?

I have the 900 Pro X and love it to death so I don’t plan on upgrading soon, but wanted to know if the T1 are really that great. I have no issues using the 900 Pro X for my cases.

Thanks for you information!

similar yet quite different. Listening to them both back to back yields little difference however, extensive listening to one then switching to the other shows quite a lot of changes. The overall presentation and soundstage different on the T1 2nd gen is potentially the largest difference as the 1990 sounds much more dampened and enclosed in comparison since the 1990 likes to shove music at you aggressively instead of the more encompassing sound the T1 possesses.

They are what would be attributed to being in the same family line just for different preference and taste in bright headphones.

900 pro x are very different in comparison. Specifically for a certain studio style use makes them a bit more lacking in terms of detail and separation, the soundstage is dialed back a lot to maintain its presence, the mids are more pushed up like the DT 880, and it has heavy dampening alongside thicker pads which the pads add more depth. It’s probably the most “neutral” sounding beyer to date despite the subtle bright peaks. The 900 pro X has a very similar tonality to the DT 880 600 ohm however is low ohms and can be driven practically ampless. It’s due to that neutrality and emphasis in the mids though that people have compared the 900 pro x to sennheisers like the HD 600.

It wouldn’t hurt to audition a DT 1990 if your interested in this route as I feel trying a T1 maybe harder since its discontinued for the inferior 3rd gen.

I used to have the dt1990. From memory it sounded like the dt900 x with a more forward treble and bass with B-pads, wider soundstage and better imagine. But, the presentation was king of similar. I might be wrong it have been a while and my setup was different at that time.

I mean, to my ear the 900 pro x is just a miniature 1990 honestly. A bit of difference sure but I find 1990 to be the superior headphone, rightfully so since 1990 is the flagship next to the T1.

graph someone got of the 990 vs the 900

DT 1990 ^ A pads in purple B pads in blue. A pads resemble 900 pro x quite a lot

side by side dt 1990 vs 900 pro x ^ with 1990s two pads involved.

900 pro x vs T1 2nd gen ^

Course graphs only say so much
 900 pro x definitely loses in terms of imaging, detail, and separation. I own all three in this case but plan to remove the 900 pro and potentially 1990 from my collection soon

1 Like

FWIW, Zeos called the 900X the baby 1990, and probably a better value, so if you love the hell out of the 900s and have any sort of decent amp, the 1990s sound like the dream

yeah pretty much. I think its harder to justify the price when 1990 can be bought around $400 in mint condition used and a new 900 pro x after taxes is what
 like $325 or something? more so for shipping fees if involved. The major downside is of course 1990 requires power so amp and dac is more of a mandatory
 while 900 pro x not so much
 you get most of the performance of a 1990 without the amp and dac requirement. T1 is even more demanding but is a much different sound. It pretty much comes down to, do you have a very strong motherboard or amp and dac already that can push 250 ohms? then 1990 mint used market is the best bank for your buck
 otherwise 900 pro x is more worth while in that particular regard. However, we still have the DT 880 600 ohm which for roughly the same price as the 900 pro x can in many ways out perform the 900 imo. 880 600 ohm can be found used market for like $125
 plus a used market mint entry level amp and dac for around $140
 making it not only cheaper but sets you up for future purchases while offering a similar yet subjectively better sound

1 Like

How’s the comfort of the 900 Pro X vs T1?

can’t really comment on something thats subjective in that regard.

How about if people say the 900x is more comfortable than the current 770/880/990 line, and I think the 770s are more comfortable (though note huge) that the 900x could be the most comfortable out of all of them

I mean, you can just get some dekoni elite velour and replicate the comfort. Unlike the 900 pro x which has zero pad swaps as of right now(to my knowledge)
 the original beyers have pads of every fabric for them and they respond fine to most of them with velour and perforated leather keeping the stock sound for the most part.

1 Like

So after months of owning these babies (though keep in mind I didn’t use them every day and did alternate once in a while between my Hemps and XS) and I finally decided to slap on the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin Fens that came with the deal I got because I need the T1 pads for my 770s while my 770 pads dry (long story, just washed them, and only use the 770s these days for listening to tv audio) and wow
 don’t I feel like a fool for waiting this long. The T1s are known for their sound stage, but when your other cans are giant Hifimans and Hemps with the big pads just about anything can sound narrower. I’m not a sound stage slut like some people as I care more about imaging, but when your listening to the others the T1s could sound a little claustrophobic.

Enter the Dekoni pads- I thought there wasn’t going to be much of a difference, but most people say do it for the comfort anyway. I personally think the T1 stock pads are very comfortable, and yes these Dekoni pads are even better, but damn
 owning a T1 without these pads should almost be a crime. Claustrophobia gone, and I could swear there’s even a slight increase in the detail. Slight, but still there IMO. I went from thinking “Do I move on?” to “These are definitely staying now”. As I said, being an imaging whore means I probably wouldn’t have parted with these anyway because damn, if you think the imaging on XS is good (and it is, very) but doesn’t hold a candle to these T1s. Long live the T1s!

P.S.- Is it ridiculous I’m running the T1s balanced from a Soloist 3X on Med gain at around 70 or high around 40ish? I’ve seen someone on here say they run their T1s SE from the Soloist 3X because it’s so powerful for dynamic cans, but here I am running balanced on medium or high gain. I listen to Amazon Music HD (exclusive mode, volume equalization off) and my DAC is balanced at the standard 4V. Not a big deal, just curious if I’m deaf or something

2 Likes

Are you using the Soloist 3xp in power amp mode?
Do you hear any noise in med to high gain?

I’m running mine at 40-70 volume from the windows volume controller (power amp mode).
My chain:
BF2 > Balanced > Soloist 3xp > Balanced > t1.2nd

I have neither a pre amp nor a DAC with a volume control. I have used that mode when I used to have a ZEN, and it did seem louder, but I’m not willing to let Windows have control- especially as it’s mostly said that if Windows is anything less than 100 it will effect SQ. A lot of people do swear by the Power Amp mode using a DAC with a volume control, but on the other hand you have people like MON who say that unless your pre amp is of very good quality, use the volume control built into the Burson. I don’t know how much of anything I just said is true, but I do notice a start quality difference if Amazon Music isn’t running in Exclusive mode so that option is out for me. It’s not a big deal to me to use higher gain settings or volume, I just want to see if this is abnormal given my current setup

1 Like

I don’t know the seller but anyone in the UK at this price it might worth a punt :man_shrugging:

1 Like