šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

I can actually completely agree with this statement. +1.Competitive 1990 wins due to A pads having less bass and aggressive and forward in sound letting you really crunch down on those sounds so games like Tarkov it really shinesā€¦ T1 is just a fantastic all rounder for gaming in general if you ask me I use it all the time.

As for the 880 and 1990? They are similar if 1990 has A pads onā€¦ but 1990 has more body and fullness to its soundā€¦ bit more detailā€¦ more opened up and has more soundstage. 1990 can switch between being like an upgraded 880 to a less recessed in the mids 990 without the insane sharpness behind it by using B padsā€¦ T1 is definitely somewhere in the middle there with its pads.

1 Like

A pair of used T1 v1ā€™s arrived today. I got them through Uk Audiomart. Iā€™ve been listening today for a few hours and its a mixed bag for me up until now. I donā€™t know if itā€™s the pair I received (apparently a later edition of the v1 before the v2 came out, and in very good condition) or just the way they all are. The soundstage is wide and immersive. Itā€™s fun without being coldly analytical, but it is still super detailed.
Iā€™ve been listening on a Feliks Audio Espressivo mk1 tube amp and a Lake People G109. In both cases its a little bright, which I expected, although I thought the tubes would have tuned down the treble a little.

The problem for me is that often vocals - especially female vocals - get really shouty and grainy very easily. I find it unacceptable, itā€™s really grating. but I donā€™t know if this is something others have experienced and then modded with padding or something, or if its just a bad copy that Iā€™ve picked up.

I would appreciate any help on this, thanks

The v1 is like that, the v2 is more tamed and controlled, the v1 is def way more bright and colder leaning

2 Likes

Thank you. Is there a way to deal with it with EQ or adding padding or changing ear pads or something?

Hmmm you could, but generally thatā€™s just going to be the trait of the headphone

1 Like

Ok. Iā€™ll give it more time. Everything else about it sounds great. I guess I canā€™t really understand those who say itā€™s a better version than the t1v2.
Are there certain genres that you know it excels with and others to generally avoid?
Thanks again for your view.

It is more neutral and more analytical and some like that, but generally personally my preferences lie with the t1.2

Generally I think itā€™s a good all rounder besides music that is very bright leaning or something super sibilant (although doesnā€™t take a genius to see that itā€™s not a good match lol). Although personally I donā€™t like overly aggressive tracks on there either as while fun they are more pushy for me

1 Like

Ok, good to know thanks. I can adjust my expectations. I just expected it to be perfect I guess - not in terms of tonality or anything, that I think comes down to taste in the end - but in terms of cleanness. Perhaps itā€™s transmitting the weaknesses in the recordings themselves as I imagine they can only be as good as the recording gear, and also the quality of the source. I tend to use Spotify even though I tried Tidal for a while and even though I found it cleaner (listening with sundaras) I couldnā€™t justify the cost. But seeing as these T1ā€™s are the first relatively high end or flagship headphone Iā€™ve ever used maybe the rules concerning sourcing and amplification or more precise, more delicate. Could that be the case?

It can be that yes, but itā€™s also pretty hard to deny the t1v1 can get out of control in the treble and upper mid-range

I mean imo you made a very good choice on the amp front so I wouldnā€™t worry about that, DAC wise you can get more performance than you would expect upgrading which might help with perceived grain imo. But overall if you are bothered by just the amount of treble and the headphones forwardness the source gear can only do so much

1 Like

Ok, thanks for confirming the amp thing. At Feliks Audio they said that the T1 v1 pairs remarkably well with the Espressivo and when the upper mid range and treble arenā€™t firing on all cylinders the sound is beautiful. It also sounds great on the LakePeople G109. I see what you mean about the grain in the Audio -gd r2r11 (if thatā€™s what you had in mind - [Iā€™m amazed you remember these things]), I think itā€™s become more transparent with the T1ā€™s and with my getting used to it. It seems to me to be more detailed and more transparent than with the ifi zen but itā€™s not as smooth, itā€™s actually a little coarse. With the sundaras and HD650ā€™s it somehow got smoothed over. Either that or I just wasnā€™t attentive or accustomed enough to hear it yet.

Yes the Feliks is a solid pairing with the Beyerā€™s overall imo

The audio gd is something you probably will noice with higher end gear, it can get unexpectedly peaky and uncomfortable to listen to from my experience, although it works fine for most of the mid-range stuff

1 Like

I f you donā€™t mind me asking, what DACs, besides the Soekris (Soekrii?) pair well with the espressivo and the T1ā€™s. I might end up selling the Audio-gd for something smoother, and my first choice is Soekris but I canā€™t find any for sale even used.

The soekris probably isnā€™t what you are looking for actually, itā€™s a brighter more analytical dac, and while good, I donā€™t think it goes well with the Feliks imo. Generally in that price range, I like the bifrost 2 or ares ii, the bifrost 2 for neutral warm, with a bit of smoothness and extra width, very nice timbre, imo would work well with the Feliks. The ares ii would make the Feliks a bit more energetic and punchy while remaining a bit warmer, a bit less width but more depth to the stage. Imo both are equally detailed but present in different ways (although the ares ii is a bit faster). If you want something very smooth, something like a mhdt orchid is a pretty easy-going dac, warmer, thick, smooth, generally pleasant imo. And going a bit higher the Holo cyan is real nice for something resolving without fatigue, a bit of a step up from the aforementioned options (but also in price lol). If you look used you can probably find some good deals on older more totl dacs, but it would depend on whatā€™s out there

1 Like

fantastic. Thanks a lot. I think youā€™ve nailed more or less what Iā€™m looking for. Also thanks for the note about the Soekris. I had it down as a no brainer and Iā€™ve never heard any opinion to the contrary.

1 Like

It is a good dac, but itā€™s sensitive to amp pairing, and not everyone is after a more neutral analytical ish dac

1 Like

Could you roll out a list of a few of these when you have the time? (unless you refer to the ones youā€™ve already mentioned)

@MON never mind, I just found this post, I assume these are the oneā€™s you would have been referring toā€¦

Ok so thatā€™s an old post, and personally my thoughts regarding dacs have drastically changed since then lol, this was before I really went into the deep end of dacs in my own setups for headphones

The adi 2 is nice if you will actually use all the features it has to offer, but otherwise imo I might prefer other dacs in the range for the price, neutral and capable but nothing really mind blowing or anything

The gumby is still a solid dac, but personally only something I would recommend if you can get a nice used one under 600ish, as I think the bifrost 2 offers more for the money (and an actually good single ended output as well thatā€™s better than the gumby), warmer smoother neutral, slightly relaxed but capable

The ifi pro idsd is a nice dac, although at new price, I really canā€™t recommend it as I think there are other dacs in that range that outperform it, but used around the 1.3k range it would make sense if you wanted a warmer more thick and forward sound thatā€™s pretty energetic

The chord is indeed a solid dac but itā€™s kinda not got much going for it at MSRP, but if you find a good deal on one used, itā€™s a pretty neutral and revealing dac thatā€™s pretty refined

The spring 2 level 2 or kte is still something I really like for the price, very solid

The thing I said about the higher end dacs is actually pretty false from my experience now lol, itā€™s easily worthwhile but you have to make sure you get synergy right. Iā€™ve always been around higher end dacs and demoed many of them, but never really decided to use them in headphone setups, I was too obsessed with the headphones/speakers themselves for the longest time, but clearly that isnā€™t the case now lol

I would disagree today now lol

This one is still something I would agree with

This is a yes and no for me, in the end there are analytical, neutral, and colored r2r, as is there for sigma delta, so it depends

I donā€™t know if itā€™s super unique tbh but they do have a house sound lol

4 Likes

Thanks!

Reminds me of St. Augustineā€™s Retractiones at the end of his life, when he revised errors of judgment in his youthful writings.

this is the one thatā€™s been attracting my attention a lot - out of my range new, but if I can find it used I might go for it after selling off other stuff to fund it.

I like what I hear of the Bifrost 2 gen 5 too (difficult to find here though)

Lol - how would you rate the order of importance in upgrading? Would it still be Headphones then Amps then Dacs then Source?

The closest thing you can get to that would be a Holo cyan

So this one really depends. Letā€™s assume you have a flagship or near flagship headphone you really like and donā€™t want to change from. Generally with a budget of 2k for your source gear, I would be spending about 50-65% on your amp and the rest on the dac. But with a budget of 5k, I might actually say spending more on the dac (like a 2k amp and 3k DAC is very reasonable), and the higher you go generally I would spend more on the dac. I think in the real high end the dac starts to matter more than the amp, were in the lower end the amp is going to make a bigger difference.

With more mid-range or entry high end headphones this would change and things would depend. I mean things depend anyways lol, synergy is extremely important the higher you go up, and yada yada

1 Like