šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

We are sort of coming at from two different angles lol Iā€™ll have to have more of a listen on my ss amps and see how that goes. Tubes can be very transformative so who knows.

I have the ninja model as well and have heard the same that theyā€™re just different colours with no sonic differences. As for unit variation I think itā€™s somewhat consensus that the dt770 suffers here but idk and t1. I wouldnā€™t think so tbh.

Tomorrow Iā€™m going to put down the lcd-2ā€™s finally and spend time again with the t1 on different amps. Sounds like a fun day to me.

Also yes it is obvious you like writing about this stuff and honestly I think you have a knack for it. Comes across very professional but still a fun read. Keep them coming!

3 Likes

Lol. Bittersweet! The LCD-2 is a fine headphone. Iā€™m quite enjoying that recent acquistion too.

Indeed! I hope you put some thoughts up here. The more well-informed opinions we get up here the merrier, IMO. Have fun!

As long as I have gear to play with that is still reasonably ā€˜find-ableā€™ somewhere out there, you can count on it!

1 Like

Some impressions paired with the v200 is itā€™s different and Iā€™m preferring it to the bhc+sb with certain tracks/genres. Technicalities seem more refined. One thing I really enjoy about the t1.2 is itā€™s detailed without being fatiguing and this seems to hold true when moving to the vio. Rock/jazz/acoustic with bhc+sb and hip hop/electronic/pop with the v200 is looking like my preferences but that could change too. Itā€™s pretty sweet with the v200 tbh lol.

The t1.2 vs dt880 I really feel is a preference thing. Both are really fantastic and theyā€™re different enough headphones that having both in a collection is definitely worthwhile if Beyers are your thing. Whether itā€™s worth the extra cost is going to be dependant on the person. IMO build and many technicalities are improved on the t1.2 from the dt880 and itā€™s a unique sound signature in Beyers lineup as far as I know.

To touch base on the bass again still not experiencing the rattle. Still gathering my thoughts on this one but it almost seems like the bass is very fast and detailed (not ideal for certain tracks) so depending on the track is can appear not as smooth as something like an lcd-2. Still not positive on this but it was a thought @WaveTheory I had while listening and keeping your impressions in mind.

2 Likes

Thanks, Don.

The earcup vibration becomes noticeable to finger-touch (donā€™t feel it on the head) when the average SPL gets to about 73db. Itā€™s not severe and I would never notice it if I didnā€™t happen to grab them during a loud bassy section.

Since I put that review up I also rolled tubes on my Liquid Plat. The bass was a little smoother. Itā€™s hard for me to shake it sounding effortful, though. I donā€™t know why and thatā€™s certainly not a thing that can be measured. Just one of those things, I guess.

The new LP tubes did tame the treble some too, but at that same 73db average SPL, which is generously loud but not crazy, the highs are too sharp for me. I must be more treble sensitive than you. Iā€™m jealous actually. My treble sensitivity does eliminate a large amount of otherwise potentially good gear.

2 Likes

I have read the topic so many times but I canā€™t rememberā€¦
I know someone who was bought a T1.2 aswell and he is powerrjng ist with his soundcard for now. Iā€™ve tested that in my Pc, and for sure it works, but could be better.
Which amps in the budget range(I mean really budget, around 150ā‚¬ i guess) can you guys recommend that are enough for the Beyer? I canā€™t get him to buy a tubeamp. He is really beginner beginner and is not willing to spent so much I guess. And itā€™s his very first (and probably last) good headphone. He wanted to get an Schiit Heresy, which has enough power I think, but it is nearly never available in germany.
I think for a Dac, if he wants to buy something, I would recommend him the Topping E30 since it seems very good for the price.

I think Liquid Spark amp is likely best pairing for the price range. I havenā€™t heard the combo yet, but the iFi Zen CAN amp is probably also a good pairing and likely right on the edge of that price range.

1 Like

Topping L30 has pretty good power specs, I believe comparable to the the schiit stuff if I remember correctly. I havenā€™t heard it but it has been well received by nearly everyone.

Worth looking into.

1 Like

Im researching these a bit. I guess the L30 would be better since it seems to be a real powerhouse for that price and size and itā€™s 50ā‚¬ cheaper.
But I donā€™t know for sure since I havenā€™t heard any oh them. Have to research the Zen Can aswell

The T1 is not particularly difficult to drive even though itā€™s 600 ohm. Any of the amps mentioned this morning will power it just fine. If you go with the Zen CAN though make sure you factor in the cost of a balanced cable. Youā€™ll get more power out of the CAN going that route. My hypothesis is the Zen CAN will sound the best of the amps mentioned, but youā€™ll pay a bit more for that privilege.

Its not for me, thats the point. Its for a first time highend headphone guy, and i think he will be against the idea of buying a balanced cable, for that reason i thought the L30 will probably suit him better for a start. But i will recommend him the Zan Can and balanced cable aswell!

Thanks guys :slight_smile:
sidenote:
Still enjoying my T1.2 so much.
Showed it a friend of mine who had my Audeze LCD2C for a test a while back and now he is thinking of buying into audiophile headphones aswell. He wanted to get an LCD2C but after listening to the T1 he is more on the fence to get the T1.2.
The LCD is awesome for what it is, but in direct comparison it seems a bit lacking in certain areas.

2 Likes

For my brothers out there riding with the T1.2s and loveā€™em like I loveā€™em.

The Dekoni Pad switch gets a recommendation for me.

From the ā€œWhat did you buy today threadā€ā€¦

Very initial impressionsā€¦makes everything 15% better. Little wider, little deeper, little more bass, little less treble while keeping that signature and performance. Also, increases clamp by just a twinge. Stock pads made this headphone one of the lightest, most comfortable headphones Iā€™ve worn. Could literally melt listening to them. Weā€™ll see if the Suedes stand the test of time with that.

Comfort level goes up by a solid 35%.

One quirkā€¦I have really good peripheral visionā€¦stock pads keep the can close enough to my ear I canā€™t really see the headphoneā€¦but the Dekonis give you likeā€¦a centimeter width or so, and now I can catch the can from my periphery. Just sayin. Not good, bad, or indifferent, just of note.

Doing legit testing on a few tracksā€¦the changes are subtle, but definitely noticeable. Love the T1.2 for female vocalistsā€¦with stock pads, female vocals are forward and its airyā€¦you get to really just enjoy the beauty of a female voice but the track is a bit recessed. With a pad switch, I donā€™t think you lose any of that, but you get the track to come a little forward with it. Youā€™ll get a little more of a pronounced presentation of the strings of the guitar or keys of the piano.

Curious how these same pads sound if you cut out the dampener? Iā€™m not there with a $45 pair of pads after the first day yetā€¦but curious how thatā€™d sound since the stock pads donā€™t have a dampener.

Beyer over hereā€¦ constant advertising emails for their amiron homeā€¦ like I didnā€™t get these ads for t1.2 and this is easily better. Amiron for me was uncomfortable and sibilant, how the hell is it getting awards lol

lol yea I just got that email as well.

Hey which Dekoni pads did you swap to? Fenestrated?

Choice suede.

When I slapped BUY on these, the Fenestrated were sold out. Will likely pick up the fenestrated pads at some point, tooā€¦Z said they made the T1 even wider, which sounds great.

Yea I am enjoying them right now with the Fenestrated. It is as he put it I believe ā€œwide and smoothā€. Also very comfy.

So some Lake People have arrivedā€¦

12 Likes

Enjoy the thing :wink: !

I am liking what I am hearing so far. I know @M0N mentioned it having more resolution and I think that I am definitely hearing it. And some how a bit smootherā€¦ maybe I am saying the same thing here lol. Anywayā€¦ back to listeningā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

Ok listening to Evil Man Blues from The Candy Shop Boys (John Wick soundtrack), having a bit of a WOW factor here. Feel like I am hearing this for the first time again.

@M0N really appreciate the recommendation

1 Like