šŸ”¶ Beyerdynamic T1 Gen2

Glad you are enjoying it so far, itā€™s a pretty sweet amp :+1:

1 Like

Talking about Dekoni Padsā€¦has anyone tried some of the others? The velours maybe? Some comfort improvement would be nice and the ZMF pads felt awesome when I tried them, but they changed the sound a bit too much i think. I think they took out a quite a bit of the treble and airyness compared to stock.
Probably I will try the choice suedes anyway coz they are not super expensive and the most comfortable I guessā€¦donā€™t really want normal leather pads, I like the suede or velour much more.
@BoxingRobes
I guess, taking the dampener out of the dekoni suede could really help keeping the signature while improving comfort. Maybe I should go for them and just try it :smiley:

I suggest the Fenestrated if you want comfort and want to keep the same sound signature for the T1. I tried the suedeā€¦ didnā€™t like it. Seemed a bit muffled to me.

Plus you get a bit more airy sound expanding the soundstage a bit more

1 Like

Muffled describes what I heard with the ZMF suede pads!

More soundstage sounds good. Does it get warm on the ears with them? Thats my biggest problem with ā€œleatherā€ pads.

Yeaā€¦ it can get a little bit toasty, that would be really the only con.

Okay good to hear first hand. Just read on their website, that these pads are designed to be cooler and more comfortable than any other pad :smiley:
Mhhh

Yea I think they may be a tad bit warmer than say the elite velour for example. But its not as much as the choice leather pads

One secā€¦ Bubbles is onā€¦ hold pleaseā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@Rick_Jones I noticed you are enjoying your beyers. You have the t1.2nd and the t1.3rd. I know is subjective; but, which one do you like more after some hours with the t1.2nd? ( I read your opinion a few days ago). T1.2nd is my favorite headphone. I am really interested in trying a different DAC/amp to match my t1.

My current setup is:
modius > SE Asgard3
modius > Balanced Thx789

Which DAC are you using? which amp do you like the most with the t1,2nd? ( lake people, magnius, Do you have LP or thx amp?)

Purchased the fenestrated yesterday. Should get them in next week. Then lets compare notes.

I am enjoying the T1.2nd gen a lot more than the 3rd gen. Currently I am using the Bifrost 2 > Lake People G111. I also own the Modius/Magnius stack and an Asgard 3.

Anyway, spent a bit of time last night with the Bifrost 2 > Lake People G111. Really awesome experience. Just kept listening to song after song. Hard to put down. This is definitely something great about how this amp works with this headphone. Or maybe it is just the synergy of the chain with the headphone. Not sure, but it is really something.

Its like you know you have been drinking the tap water all this time and someone gives you some of that damn expensive Voss water and you think, nahā€¦ itā€™s just water until you taste how smooth it is and you are like ā€œhuhā€¦ okā€

But analogies aside, @M0N explained the G111 as such:

A pretty significant upgrade in most ways, spatial recreation, dynamics, resolution, impact and speed, and a slight upgrade in timbre (but not as big as the other aspects)

And I believe this is right in a lot of ways. I still need a bit more time with them, but I get a feeling that I may end up selling the Asgard 3

3 Likes

Nice, alright. Sounds good.

Thank you so much!

I am planning to get the bifrost 2 at some point.
Amp wise (Under 500$) recommendations by @M0N, and other users:

• Lake people g111
  • LP
  • RNHP

At 500 those would probably be my pick for solid state amps for the 1.2, for which one you go for would come down to preference and the dac you go with, all are great options imo

The LP would be the most wide, most impactful, and most colored pairing imo, itā€™s high preforming yet with a pretty fun and enjoyable signature, somewhat forgiving as well, real nice, but some might not like that coloration (also depends on the tubes used as it can get sloppy or unpleasant with the wrong tubes). Pairs well with a bifrost 2 for neutral warmer sound, ares ii for a bit more coloration and energy and forwardness

The g111 would be the most more studio neutral and clean sound while still sounding fairly organic, and has a larger stage with very good control, detail forward for sure although depending on the dac timbre can be a weaker point. Good pairing something like a dac1321 or 1421 for a more analytical experience, or a bifrost 2 for a more neutral smoother full bodied sound, or the ares ii to tilt it a bit more warm and rich. Also an allo revolution dac with the shanti lps is actually pretty solid here, and very tunable to ones preferences, good pairing imo

The rnhp would be more natural/neutral, something that has a very organic presentation but is very technically proficient as well, smaller stage but lots of depth, really refined, although might lack some punch in the bass at times, dac picky as well. Main suggestion is the bf2 for the dac, really just overall enhances what it can do

Generally in that price range for tube amps, the bottlehead crack + speedball is an easy pick, lots of fun that just makes the 1.2 a blast to listen to, not the most technically proficient but still good enough to not bother, surprisingly refined for how fun it is. Also if you are into tube rolling itā€™s pretty great for that (same with caps, resistors, perhaps a better volume pot, etc). Works well with the bf2 for more weight and density, and expansive stage, and ares ii for more depth and fun but even warmer smoother sound

The hagerman tuba is a neutral cleaner tube amp that offers lots of control and technicalities without ever being harsh or unpleasant, stock tubes are a bit mid centric but you can get it pretty dang neutral or slightly warmer neutral with the right tubes. Might sound a tad dry for some though. Generally like the bf2 here as it keeps it neutral but very enjoyable

And a feliks echo is a warmer smoother relaxed pairing that maintains technical performance while being more forgiving as well, pretty great if you want to chill out and relax the 1.2 without sacrificing what performance it has to offer. I think the ares ii is a good match without overdoing what signature itā€™s going for, the bf2 is good but it can get a bit soft at times. Also like the allo rev with shanti here as well, as you can dial in a very good balance of bite to offset potential oversmoothing

Generally I do think you can go higher with source gear and get a fair bit more out of the 1.2, but not many will want to do that I would assume lol and the combos mentioned imo give a good balance between price and performance for most

*A note on the soekris, they are coming out with a new lineup which is supposed to be warmer neutral, might end up pairing well with other things but havenā€™t heard to confirm. The older soekris mentioned are more neutral analytical dry, so itā€™s a departure from that apparently

5 Likes

Yea at first didnā€™t really think that myself. But upgrading to the Bifrost and now this G111 really changed my mind on this. Also I think goes to show how folks can have different experiences depending on their gear. It can really change oneā€™s perspective.

Once you keep going up, honestly source gear and make or break and experience for sure

Yeaā€¦ about thatā€¦ going up. Think I will have to put a cap on that lol. Right now happy within the current price bracket.

The only thing I might do in the future is maybe look at a pair of ZMF headphones like the Verite Closedā€¦ ā€œshhā€¦ itā€™s ok walletā€¦ I said nothingā€¦ go back to sleepā€

1 Like

You are in a very good spot right now, the next jump up will cost significantly more, so itā€™s a good idea to most likely chill where you are at, itā€™s a good balance

Lol

1 Like

These two :heart_eyes:

9 Likes

So for anyone who might have the question about the power specs for the Lake People G111 the following specs is per channel:

This is the email from Arthur with his reply:

All the specs for power are per channel.
Thank you, Arthur

Thought I would add this in case someone is trying to compare this to say the Asgard 3 for example.

2 Likes

Lake people/violectric tend to move their power band to favor higher impedance which is nice for beyers for sure