Beyerdynamic TYGR 300 vs MMX 300

They told me that same thing… 3 - 4 weeks ago lmao.

3 Likes

I really want these headphones. But i also don’t want to wait an eternity for them to go in stock. :man_facepalming:

You can always buy the TEAM bundle and try to sell the FOX mic secondhand to recoup the cost. Can be a hassle, but better than waiting a month or two. And Beyerdynamic sometimes has the bundle refurbed on their eBay store for better price and free shipping (and no tax, at least in my state).

@FalenkorI just placed the order for TYGR 300’s !

So i mentioned i was using a shipment forwarder right? i bought it from beyerdynamic uk. Because my shipment forwarder (DHL Easyshop) happened to have an address in UK too !!

So amp/dac wise, i have a few questions. reply back at your convenience, yeah?

1. My Fiio BTR5 + JDS labs atom (using 3.5in) [i dont know if this will take a hit on sound quality)
  2. Ifi Zen DAC
  3. JDS Stack/ Topping DX3 Pro (this is 200$ territory, i want what you think is best option if i’m spending 200$)
1 Like

Just a heads up, i emailed BD North America from their website this morning and got a response 10 minutes ago that they had received limited stock of the TYGR 300R headphones. They had me submit the order by email, so I’m guessing the website may not update to show them in stock.

2 Likes

Throwing an immediate email to snag another pair. lol

2 Likes

Generally anything clean I think will be good for an amp/dac I think ifi zen dac may actually be a bad pick in this case… speaking literally from this headset sitting in front of me and that amp sitting on my desk it makes it a bit too bassy and slightly muddy and too dark. I think the atom would be a great combo for it as the atom has that ever so slight edge to it and its very clean sounding which should pair very well to it. Honestly something like a thx amp or sp200 or something would pair nicely too as it potentially will make the treble more neutral in this case. Just try to avoid the warmer rolled off treble sounding setups in this case and you should be just fine… the tygr isn’t amp picky by any means it appears outside of equalization and warmer amps.

Edit: plugged it into my asgard 3. yeah, definitely go with a cleaner amp colored amps like asgard work wonders as well sounds even more spacious. Ifi zen dac no go. Liquid spark definite no go. Needs a magni, atom, a30, thx, something along those lines

1 Like

wha about topping L30?

@Falenkor your inputs are invaluable to me! <3

going for THX/SP200 is 250$ for Amp itself and will have to purchase a DAC on top. So i’m looking at 400$ including shipping and stuff.

Do you have the Asgard 3 with the DAC module? It does not have great measurements on AudioScienceReview, so my final question is Asgard 3 OR JDS Stack?

I do not care for analytical sound, but i would like to hear close to original clean sound. (coloration is okay). if its more enjoyable on Asgard than the JDS stack (even though JDS will be cleaner) i’ll prefer the Asgard.

Step up from the A30 and has good reviews so far… I would ask M0N about that as he’s currently sitting with it but in the tygrs case? That’s some extreme amount of power backing a very low power unit… I would advise caution about the sound setting so you don’t blow it up. Regardless should work just fine.

Normally I wouldn’t recommend thx/sp200 I would recommend going with schiit… Anytime I have sat with them I thought sound quality and performance was much better coming out of something such as topping or Schiit. I would ask around for which amps tend to make headphones a bit brighter if thats your goal however only recomend such a setup if you prefer more warm or dark sounding headphones in that regard. Not that the thx/sp200 are bad just that I feel there are better potential options and may save you money as well.

I have not sat with asgard 3’s dac but theres plenty of people here who have. I would ask around though granted I have heard some good things… I would typically recommend a seperate dac but then again… I haven’t ever tried the amp/dac asgard variation. If I had to pick between asgard, thx, sp, or jds? Asgard first because I feel it has more synergy with a ton more setups… and in this case definitely jds following that if one cannot get the schiit products.

I prefer the color of asgard… but jds is extremely neutral in sound with a slight sharp point to it… so it may pair better in your preference than an asgard at that point… Though if your preferred sound is as close to the original recording as possible tygr may not be the best choice… It’s a warm fun headphone by no means is it very “natural”.

2 Likes

Cool, I’ll go with the JDS stack as it seems like a safe option under my budget.

1 Like

I actually wanted to chime in on a seperate bit of opinion on this one. I had to clarify with M0N a bit on this amp as I wasn’t particularly sure. So, yeah definitely the JDS though in my opinion I appreciated the Aune x7s more as it visibly raised the treble but it was a very smooth sound. I am actually considering purchase of the Aune soon as I own a few warmer headphones that or as M0N recommended to me I may try the gilmore lite mk2 but thats much more expensive lol

thanks @Falenkor

I will consider Aune as option 1 too.

I ran into another little hiccup with Beyerdynamic, their support mentioned they only ship to private addresses and does not ship to DHL offices. I’m trying to convince them to ship my order anyways, but have to wait and see how it goes.

Good luck with that one, Beyer can be a bit hard to work with sometimes.