Bike Appreciation Thread

Yours truly workin the flags at turn 4, the 2013 WSBK race weekend at Laguna Seca.

I did this for a few years, actually. Man, what a pleasure it was. One of the coolest things I ever got to do! Almost got taken out by Roger Lee Hayden’s bike while recovering Leon Haslam and his bike. There is a kind of adrenaline rush that happens while it’s all going on that is hard to describe. The team ended up getting a special on-track thank you from the FIM for that action! I’ve picked up my share of riders and bikes over the years. Such massive respect for these boys. But yeah, 2013 stands out. That weekend was insane.

4 Likes

Yes! Our local Aprilia dealer has a new 2021 Tuono Factory on the floor yet. Hoping they may be flexible on the price later this spring and who knows. :grinning:

2 Likes

7 Likes

Very cool. I see three different bikes here. Looks like one for serious road work, one for city shreddin’, and the first more of a general use bike? I like the discs on the third bike. I never had an actual road bike. I have an old Gary Fisher Sugar 3 mountain bike though. Still a great bike, even if it is outdated now.

Oh nice selection on the IPA, too! Lagunitas is a beverage I go for as well. :+1:

Mountain bikes, too, in this thread?

OK, I ride a 2019 Trek Roscoe 7. Hardtail! :slight_smile:

Hell yes, my friend. ALL bikes and their riders are welcome here. Nice bike, btw!

2 Likes

I love motorbikes. I’m lucky enough to have an aunt who lives close-by a track, so I get to enjoy the sounds of motorcycles driving when it’s a track day. Of course, cars drive there too, but… bikes are bikes.

I wish to own and drive a motorcycle one day. Until then, I enjoyed riding my bicycle… up until it was stolen recently. I am currently trying to put a vintage (1988) Cannondale ST700 into function.

1 Like

Hard to come by here but delicious when you can find em.

1. Surly Cross Check - all round shit kicker
  2. 1985 Trek 660 with powder-coated and modernized for a quick steel roadwarrior
  3. In-Bred (UK steel frame) and VO Piolet fork into monster-cross for when I want to hit some single track on the way home.
  4. (not pictured) Rad Wagon 3 - 750W version for hauling two kiddos
1 Like

Yee-Haaaw! MotoGP is at COTA this weekend! And this man is going to race

Fucken Marquez. There was a time when I didn’t care for him. He was reckless and foolish and that whole business with Rossi was just garbage. But oh, what he could do with a RCV-213. When he was at his best he was absolutely unbeatable. His riding style I like to call violent poetry. I only enjoyed watching Lorenzo more.

And then the injuries started. I kinda knew it would happen sooner or later. You can’t hang it out there the way he does and not ultimately pay the price. But what this man has been through - Crazy. His toughness, focus and resilience has really made me respect him. The heart of a champion. I’ll be watching for sure. It’s gonna be a great race, I think. And I hope Marc wins the thing! And let’s not forget about our young Americans racing in Moto2

Balls to the walls, boys! :smile:

2 Likes

I love Marquez, but he’s his worst enemy. It looked for a while like he FINALLY learned the lesson to collect points when the bike isn’t perfect. But he once again returned to his over-riding ways at Mandalika, and it bit him again.

This guy could have challenged Ago and Rossi’s records if he learned to ride within himself. I doubt that lesson ever will sink in, though, so sadly I think he’ll be out of the sport within three years due to injury.

How many more hits can his arm take? How many times can surgery repair the double vision he suffers after some crashes? How many concussions can he take before his brain doesn’t bounce back?

I see Joe Roberts in the pic above. Good kid. Good rider. But he committed career suicide at the end of the 2020 season when he rejected an Aprilia MotoGP ride for a second season and title effort in Moto2 in 2021, and he didn’t deliver.

After Aleix Espargaro won last weekend on an Aprilia, I would hope Roberts is kicking himself in the ass for his decision more than ever. GP rides don’t come around every other month, especially for American riders. Roberts was an idiot to refuse that chance.

1 Like

I agree on Marquez. I thought he had finally come around as well, but no. He had a way of muscling that Honda around in a way that no other rider could even imagine, but then the bike (and the tires) changed, and he started forcing the issue again. There is something in him that turns when he puts that helmet on. And now we are where we are. I would say 3 years is a reasonable estimate for his exit from the sport. Kind of a shame, but it is what it is. Perhaps he’ll have an epiphany and figure it out. We’ll see.

Aleix Espargaro’s win last week was one of the more popular wins I can think of in recent history. I know I was thrilled for him! Which leads me to one Mr. Joe Roberts. I started watching him when he was still a Keith Code deciple. I knew he had a shot to make it to the GP paddock, but it was gonna be tricky. And I get it, he felt like he had unfinished biz in Moto2 and all that. But to me that was foolish. When Aprilia came knocking and offered that seat, he should have taken it. Opportunities like that don’t come around too often. Now he is on the hook for that decision while he struggles in Moto2. That GP seat is looking a little further away now. I still think he has a shot, but man…

And now enter the new kid! Sean looks (to me at least) like he is more seasoned and ready to compete at the highest level. And Cam, well, he is still something of a mystery to me. I want so bad for the light bulb to go off in this kid’s head so he can start living up to the potential he has.

If I had to place a bet on who will get the GP seat first, I would pick Sean at this point.

1 Like

Agree. Roberts blew his chance. Beaubier isn’t good enough. He’s a classic tweener – dominated MotoAmerica but not fast enough to make MotoGP. He’ll end up in the World Superbike ecosystem, possibly as early as next season.

1 Like

Still rocking a 2009 Kona Zing, a 1990 Schwinn Traveler, 1995 Univega Rover, Mercier Kilo TT, A single-speed old Specialized Allez conversion. Too many projects unfinished. Love two wheels, and simplicity.

Can a site moderator please ban me from HiFi Guides before I go down this other rabbit hole? :worried:

2 Likes

But you must… you really must…

yellow-octopus-no-meme-34

1 Like

Damage report after getting the bike back yesterday. Have to look around and see what kind of replacements I can get. All in all damage is minimal.

2 Likes

Sad to see but that’s fixable for sure :+1:

3 Likes

Well, well, well! Quite the weekend for the MotoGP circus after a very interesting weekend in wet and wild Portugal! And would ya look at who sits atop the Moto2 podium… It’s that guy!

Yep, it’s our boy, Joe Roberts! I am super stoked for him. Who knows, now that he has that first win under his belt maybe the flood gates will open. Cam was battling up front as well until the rain ruined his day. I’m just happy to see that these guys are finally starting to figure a few things out.

Oh yeah, and then then there was that Quartararo dude who took that shitty Yamaha M1 and put 5 seconds on the field. HA!

They did unseal their third engine of the season, but it was a good move. Definitely the shot in the arm that team needed. On to Jerez…

1 Like

First American atop the box at a World Championship race since Ben Spies in 2011. About damn time!

Happy for Roberts, but I fear he’ll never recover from the career suicide he committed at the end of 2020 when he turned down an Aprilia factory ride in MotoGP for 2021. Beyond stupid.

1 Like