Bike Appreciation Thread

Yessir, the jury is definitely still out on that one. I would like to think it is a step in the right direction, though.

In other rumblings, Dovi could be out of MotoGP after the Mugello race. Just can’t get on with the M1. The British kid Dixon is set to replace him. Too bad for Dovi.

It’s time for Dovi to go. Great rider and good guy, but he’s just not fast enough anymore.

Dixon is the latest British pet of Dorna. Dude has raced for three seasons in Moto2 with no wins and one podium finish. Please tell me why he deserves a MotoGP ride. Dorna knows – his passport reads United Kingdom.

Dixon will be yet another on the list of British riders who Dorna tried to stuff down the UK public’s throat as the next potential Barry Sheene who flame out into little or nothing. Toseland, Crutchlow, Bradley Smith, Redding, etc.

Jonny Rea was the British rider who should have received the GP push. I think he could have done much more than his occasional one-off or wild card ride showed.

Agree. I don’t really think Dixon has earned that seat, nor is he ready for it. Hell, Garret Gerloff is more qualified to take that seat if that is where we are going. But I get it. If I am Jake Dixon, I am gonna give it all I have. Who knows, maybe he’ll shock us all. At least Yamaha aren’t investing a lot here. They are trying to salvage at least something from what appears to be a failed campaign in that garage. So put the kid on there… if he stinks it up, they can gracefully back out at season’s end and look for a rider for next year. Speaking of which, Ol’ Franco better step it up or they will be looking to fill 2 seats. Just sayin.

And I don’t know about you, but there is something about Jonny Rea that just I don’t like. Frankly I am glad he hasn’t really made it to the GP grid. But that is just me.

1 Like

I get it with Jonny. There’s always the “big fish in a small pond” question with him.

Is he really that good just because he won six WSBK titles? If he is that good, why didn’t he get a bigger sniff from a MotoGP factory after his third or fourth straight WSBK title? I know WSBK isn’t nearly as strong as in the days of Foggy, Colin Edwards, etc., but still.

Then again, who was the last WSBK rider to make it through to MotoGP and stay for a while? Spies had promise but then flamed out due to injury. Crutchlow won a few races but was more blather than pure speed.

To be fair, the gap between prototype GP bikes and production-based Superbikes probably never has been greater. So, it’s going to take a special talent to bridge that chasm, and I don’t see that rider anywhere in WSBK now.

1 Like

What a sad state of affairs. Damn it, Suzuki, I was skeptical when you first came back, but I had such high hopes for you. You let us get excited for your progress only to have the rug pulled out from under yet again. Your thrust into irrelevance is all but assured, now. Here is their bullshit statement ahead of the upcoming French Grand Prix:

Suzuki Motor Corporation’s statement on their MotoGP™ future

"Suzuki Motor Corporation is in discussions with Dorna regarding the possibility of ending Suzuki’s participation in MotoGP™ at the end of 2022.

Unfortunately, the current economic situation and the need to concentrate its effort on the big changes that the Automotive world is facing in these years, are forcing Suzuki to drastically decrease racing related costs and to use all its economical and human resources in developing new technologies.

We would like to express our deepest gratitude to our Suzuki Ecstar Team, to all those who have supported Suzuki’s motorcycle racing activities for many years and to all Suzuki fans who have given us their enthusiastic support."

Do we call this another casualty of the Pandemic? Who knows, and at this point who cares. I just feel for all those men and women who worked so hard to bring Suzuki to this competitive position and now will be left holding the bag.

Damn you, Suzuki.

Suzuki always has had the lowest budget among factory teams in MotoGP. So, when they stopped selling as many bikes due to the pandemic, etc., the Grand Prix racing program was going to be the first item on the chopping block in the board room at Hamamatsu.

The departure isn’t surprising. But this is the manufacturer’s second exit from MotoGP in the last 15 years. Their reputation is in tatters in the MotoGP paddock. No one will believe in Suzuki if economic conditions improve and it expresses desire to return to Grand Prix motorcycle racing.