Bombardment of iems, but of quality price? Suggest me a good iem

We have more and more iems under €300 that according to their reviewrs sound better than €500 iems. In other words, we have more and more overrated iems. Very good but because of the quantity it is difficult to choose. I have made a selection of iems that sound great or so it seems.
Can you tell me which one is the best. Above all I am interested in a good soundstage?

• MANGIRD TEA
  • 7HZ TIMELESS
  • MOONDROP VARIATIONS
  • MOONDROP KATO
  • BQEYZ AUTUMN
  • YANYIN ALADIN
  • SHUOER S12
  • ANY. THE BEST IS…(COMMENT)

0 voters

The Aladdin has been my EDC since late summer, it is very rare I keep anything that long. So from experience, it gets a hard rec. I much preferred it to the Tea, which I sold on after a week or maybe two weeks. Very happy to answer specific questions, or let you know my impressions of how they handle aspects of sample tracks you may post here.

I’m becoming a bit of a timbre head and I am VERY interested in the Autumn too. Highly recommended by a friend of mine with similar taste. I’d have to pick it up super cheap to take the gamble though, I doubt it’s easy to sell on if it’s not what I’m looking for.

Edit: Also incredibly well priced, and going for very little ($120-$140) second hand.

3 Likes

Tea hits up to $ 500, Variations hit up to about $ 700-800. But Variations are $ 520, not $ 300! Up to $ 300 Tea is the best purchase. For others, I doubt they have the scene of Tea and Variations. Good luck ! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Could you please share more about your impressions on Aladdin and why you preferred it to the Tea?
Tea is in my purchase list after receive a lot of rec about it.

I listen to a lot of rock, classic rock, pop, jazz, blues, acoustic.

I wrote up a short comparison between the Aladdin and the Oxygen that you might find useful: IEM discussion thread - #2192 by ttorbic.

2 Likes

Valeu, parceiro! :brazil:

1 Like

De nada amigo

We everywhere and we have cookies.

Best,

nymz, the gatekeeper
Cookie Baker of Tea Cult

I vote planar gang

1 Like

Variations till the end of time. Clean, lean, and very clear. Still musical and fun. Exceptional bass quality and texture. Reproduction of female vocals like no other set to my ear. Treble sparkle and glitter to no end. Detail monster, most resolving pair below 1k.

I love this set and will shill it till the end of time, or until a Variations 2 comes out. :fire: :heart:

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk

4 Likes

Variations should not have included it. It is likely to be removed or marked. It’s more expensive than I thought. For a moment I thought I saw it at 380 but it’s not. It doesn’t make sense for it to be on a list of lower priced iems.

1 word… Oxygen

1 Like

I think the Variations were a great buy at the 11.11 price that I got them for (I think $440~ish), but I think it might be better to touch on your last point.

If your interpretation of good soundstage means very w i d e , you can find the LZ A7 for $279 new if you look in the right places. Something like the Fiio FD5 at $299 would also be a good pick, also being semi-open.

If you’re patient enough with EQ’ing or use the cipher cable, you can grab a used Audeze iSine 10 (open back) in the $200 range.

That’s specifically targeted towards your comment about soundstage. As for everything else, we would need to know your music-tastes, because there are IEMS in your list that shine in some areas, but not others.

1 Like

It gets closer to 220 usd on aliexpress sales.

1 Like

well, damn. I paid the full $338 when I got them last year :sob:

that’s a REALLY good deal

yeah, LZ stuff usually ends up dropping to around 200 usd after a year.

It sure is, also the dream iem for modders.

2 Likes

They play at twice their price point and are definitely an end-game IEM. Yeah, 500$ are a lot of money, but you get a set that beats IEMs twice it‘s price. In that sense it is quite the bargain.

The Tripowin x HBB Olina will likely make the O2 obsolete

O2 performance at 99$

4 Likes

All of them beat the highest prices. The 800€ ones beat iems over 1500€, don’t they? hahaha.

1 Like

I didn’t really offer comparisons, just because I feel it’s too much left to memory/imagination if I don’t have both sets to hand, and I no longer have the Teas. I got the Aladdins some time after I had the Teas, 2 months or so. I can take from notes I made when I had them:

Tea Impressions
  • Weird tonality – compared to at least 3 other IEMs I was trying at the time, they were the only ones to balance things out how they did, and to be honest it seemed artificial. The relative volumes of vocals and backing guitars etc. I always felt like I was listening to recorded music, it didn’t engage me correctly.
  • Sub bass was great, but from my memory, no better than Aladdins.
  • I remember feeling that compared to everything else I was trying, snare strikes felt weird and unsatisfying.
  • They really do give a surrounding soundstage BUT IMHO that’s not all it’s cracked up to be – remember that IEMs use FR dips/troughs and psychoacoutics to achieve this, they obviously aren’t sending different signals to differently positioned speakers. I felt like the extent to which the Tea “3Ds” things was again artificial and a little extreme. Things were pushed further away than they ought to be. Sometimes the same instrument would be fanned out. It didn’t feel more realistic, but more like a “surround sound” gimmick on a smartphone player had been flicked one. For contrast the Aladdins never make something sound like they’re playing from another room (which I wouldn’t want), but something they catch about reverberations gives a very clear feeling of space, whether a studio (Neil Young and a couple others mic’ed up) or stage (Faun performing live with gazillion artists chiming in).
  • To be fair, it was very genre versatile, and the hyper-3D had its place (watching movies).

My gut feeling is that everyone recs the Teas because they are good, but if they heard the Aladdins, they might rec them instead. Very few people have tried them, as far as I can gather. It’s a bold claim, but hey, it’s unproven so far. At least I’ve heard both.

I’ve mentioned some Aladdins traits as relevant contrasts above, but I’ll now address anything that’s left (both pros and cons – although I couldn’t find anything wrong with them for months, there are one or two areas that could be improved – and given my change in priorities, one of those might finally mean I move on from the Aladdin, or at least that the Aladdin shares a seat with an IEM that nails it.

Aladdin pros and cons

It’s all pros except for two cons which I’ve marked.

• I was instantly mesmerized. With the Teas it took me a day to start hearing what was more special about them, meanwhile I was increasingly hearing the things I wasn’t so fond of about them.
  • Sub-bass is warm, and only opens spaces never closes them (something about Penon Audio’s deep sub-bass always somehow makes the overall feel more stifling, not more expansive)
  • CON 1: Mid-bass could use more impact/slam. That’s the flaw I noticed earlier on with them.
  • CON 2: Timbre could be improved for bowed and plucked strings. Perhaps horns. I’m not qualified to say if piano is already accurate or not. This is the main issue for me, but for most people (including the majority of the Tea Cult, from what I have read) timbre is usually a lower priority, and compromised timbre by no means spoils their listening. It’s certainly not something I started hearing until the lat 2 months or so. But now I can’t unhear it, and think I’ll be moving pretty much to DD setups. I think the reason cello sounds a little lacking on the Aladdin for me, as far as I can quantify, is that there is slow attack, so notes float in (exaggeration) rather than having an abrupt start. This actually has a charming effect on vocals though, especially with the warmth of the tuning.
    I almost exclusively notice it with classical music. Listening to Robert Plant and Alison Krauss sounded divine, even though it’s almost exclusively vocals, plucked guitar, and bass.
  • Vocals/mids are some of my favorite. When I was trying the RSV, the mids sounded only marginally better if at all – and that’s meant to be the calling card of that $730 MSRP set. Intimate vocals.
  • The bio-cellulose driver gives such a gorgeous, slowish decay, accurately textured bass for low percussion, and bass guitars.
  • The treble is never harsh, but it is the perfect amount. Always there for sparkle, and you can hear the detail of a cymbal sound, it’s not just a sssh or shsh (for what those letters are worth!)
  • Immersive, but zero muddiness or bloat. Maybe the lack of umph given to the mid-bass is justified by the clean-ness of the bass. The bass is a pillow of warm air lifting the other sounds but never blocking them.
  • Price - at launch they were $250, but $200 with a promotional code. Now they sell for about $120-140 second hand. This means that either comparing new for new, or used for used, they are cheaper than the teas.
  • So comfortable. I never have to think about their fit.
  • With stock tips (which easily sound the best even after months of rolling) and their shape, isolation is great.

What might be more fair than a comparison with a set I don’t have (although the second section of pros/cons is completely relevant) is if you give certain tracks and ask how the Aladdin handle various portions/instruments in them? I have limited time, but if I can, I will. I already committed to answer questions which is why I took the time to write the above. Very few people can write about them, but they deserve to be lauded and defended, so I’m just doing what any person who has enjoyed them as much I have would do.

I certainly don’t think people are mistaken for enjoying the Tea as much as they do, different ear canals, different ears, different preferences once it reaches the brain, etc. You can see how the vote count is going, and you’d most likely be over the moon with them. I just think the Aladdins deserve similar fandom, and they were on the list.

Sorry for the length.
Ten thousand words in the cave of audio forums will give you SUCH a crick in the neck!
giphy

Please any other Aladdin owners chip in, either to agree or to disagree and add to the cons list! The fuller a picture the better, favorable or not.

Quick add-on: For what it’s worth, the bass and mids of the Aladdin are essential identical to the MEST. Those are considered end-game for so many folks. Treble is less strident on the Aladdins, and considering that the only complaint I hear about the MEST is that it can be a little too detailed and sometimes treble, seems like a wise move.

Aladdin = MEST Jr

Just listened to Pink Floyd’s Welcome to the Machine on the Aladdins, great experience. So spacious and surrounding, but accurately. CCR’s Run through the jungle just came on, same deal. And just now How soon is now by the Smiths. So clear, and separated.

Second edit:
In the time I’ve owned the Aladdin I have bought multiple IEMs of higher value – two valued $700ish new, plenty valued $500ish new, and then quite a few from the $300-500 mark. I would say they were only clearly surpassed, not just in one area ie: timbre, once you get to the $500+ mark.

And that’s some real diminishingg returns type improvement. That’s why I still have these. They are 100% worth the money, and are at least as good as $500 sets. The only set I’ve heard that I preferred in several areas but still didn’t keep was the Dark Magician, and that was only because of fit. Nothing else really makes the Aladdin feel cheap/compromised/dwarfed.

Just a last note: The S12 is super recent, but there are some other sets only just out that might edge some of these choices for all we know. Case in point I’ve never heard the Yume Midnight but maybe it would be better than all of these for you, and at a good price point? As always the more reviews the better, no one likes to buy new gear blind or based on limited hype.

8 Likes