Bought the AKG K702. Not happy with it due to pad comfort and overall size of the cups. In search for alternatives

Ok, thanks.
I still don’t know if the DT880 wouldn’t be better, because they’re open back, not semi-open as the DT990. How do they compare in the bass, and also in the positioning in games?
The’re both basically the same price here, also the same price as the K702 ~ 140$

That would be more subjective between the two but I can base my opinion since I own both of them at this point in time. Personally, I will be returning the 880s if that helps as I don’t like them as much as I do the 990s. The 880s have a bit more clamping force and stiffing ear pads, they don’t sound as open but at the same time they don’t have as strong of a treble or V signature and cater more towards the neutral. Personally, I like an airy open sound and the dt 990s just do that better while also sharing great clarity. Bass wise… this is pretty subjective but I found the bass response to be quite a bit deeper in the 990s. As far as positioning imaging and staging… hands down 990s they have fantastic imaging that gives you a feel of like a 360 degree sound which is common in good open backs

That sounds great. Will it be the 990s then.
By V signature you mean bass,treble > mids? I’m not really advanced in those audio terms.

Also, do you mean the 990 PRO or the 990 EDITION?

looking at a sound board the pegs are in the shape of a V. It has recessed mids with sharp treble and good bass. The only one that comes in the 32 ohm is the premium which is referred to as the EDITION

Well, the edition is a bit more expensive at about 170$. The 880s would be about 130$.

It’s your call at that point as it’s your money. I can’t really offer much more advice then what I have said in this case.

I understand that. Thank you very much for all the advice. I will ask you if I come up with something else.

Hey,
I’ve been told that I should buy the DT880 instead on reddit. The arguments were that it has way too bass and treble, also I was told that if you compare the EDITION versions, the DT880 and DT990 are same in terms of comfort.
Don’t know which to buy tbh. I keep seeing different opinions everywhere.

Going to quote someone else on here for this particular statement as its been a common question about the DT series.

I mean I think the 770, 880, and 990 are great for both music and gaming, really boils down to preference and use case. IMO if you wanted the highest performance for gaming and something energetic but a tad much for some music, the 990 600 ohm is pretty great. If you wanted similar gaming performance but a bit more natural and neutral for music, the 880 600 ohm is my pick. If you wanted something v shaped with great subbass and isolation that still preforms pretty good for games (although I think the imaging and staging is a touch behind the 990 and 880), the 770 250 ohm is pretty solid

Difference in Impedance:

So with beyers, typically the higher impedance, the better, but this isn’t a general rule or anything, just something that is the case with some of the beyer models. That being said, you need a beefier amp to run them properly so keep that in mind

in the case of you don’t have an amp or can’t afford one:

In that case, I would say the tygr 300 r is pretty solid lol, been listening to it for a few days and it’s pretty sweet, would preform very well for gaming without an amp. I wouldn’t consider the other lower impedance beyers though, the 32 ohm versions of the 990/880/770 aren’t great imo

in the case you can’t buy tyger:

I would really consider the beyer custom one pro plus or custom studio then imo, those preform well without an amp, and don’t have the issues that the regular 32 ohm beyers have

In the case that you don’t like the beyer sound and want something similar to the AKG 702 which is a neutral sounding headphone: Look into ad700x, ad900x, and ad1000x or 58x Jubilee

Difference between custom one pro plus and custom studio:

They are rather similar, but the studio has a signature closer to the 770 250 ohm which is actually pretty good, doesn’t have exactly as good of technicalities but is a good alternative if you wanted something a bit more accurate than the copp. The studio vs the copp are on the same tier imo, so both are pretty solid, and if there isn’t a copp available there might be a chance the studio would be available.

Difference in AD series:

I could go pretty indepth here but for gaming solely this Boils down to clean sound some bass and separation of sound. AD700x is revered amongst gamers as one of the best competitive headphones on the market especially for its price while 1000x is the premium and completely seperates sounds this is ideal for those who want music and gaming both where as 900x is the middle ground

Difference in comfort from 880 and 990 premiums: They are correct on this but the 880s have a slightly harder clamp force than the 990s out of the box. Speaking as someone who owns both.

In the case of consideration on an amp:

amps range around in prices but the cheapest ones will run around $40 and the middle ground ones that will run most of the stuff you throw at it are round around $100

In the consideration of ModMics:

Prices range from $40-$120 depending on what style you want 3.5mm jack, usb, or wireless respectively

Is the mic on the custom one pro plus good?

Yes, It is studio grade, while it could be better it is replaceable by other better microphones if you feel it doesn’t suit you all of which are pretty cheap

Well, from this I can only tell that it’s not worth it to buy the 32 omh.
I don’t have an amp. And AD700x and Beyer Customs are too expensive here.

Also I was told that if I buy the new pads that they can ruin the sound, is that accurate?

Sound is completely subjective and depends on the headphones. In the case of k702 swapping to k712 pads wouldnt ruin the sound as the 2nd generation had those pads and sounded better imo. In the case of beyer pad swapping? excluding the 770 cause I liked the choice dekonis on that headphone more than the stock, yeah swapping pads on the 880 and 990 ruins the sound.

I wouldn’t swap to 712 pads. I would swap for Brainwavz or something similar.

Funny that the guy on reddit said the exact opposite, he says that the with the 712 pads sounds worse than 702’s.

This is why I say sound is subjective. We all hear things different. I can only try to provide my own input and experience. Brainwavz… youd probably have to ask someone else here on that see if they have some information. They would definitely change the sound and comfort but for the better I am not sure. You sure you can’t find a better alternative place to buy from that offers cheaper prices? That would definitely help in this case.

I am pretty sure. The prices are about the same all over EU. Shipping from anywhere else means dealing with customs and that’s not worth it.

according to another poster I was talking to just a moment ago, Amazon is selling the custom one pro plus for around 147 pounds they also are selling as far as I see the ad700x for about $100. May be able to find beyer custom studio for cheaper and would be worth checking as well

That’s possible. They’re even cheaper here. But I was told that only the studio’s are good.

Dunno if that’s true.

They are rather similar, but the studio has a signature closer to the 770 250 ohm which is actually pretty good, doesn’t have exactly as good of technicalities but is a good alternative if you wanted something a bit more accurate than the copp. The studio vs the copp are on the same tier imo, so both are pretty solid, and if there isn’t a copp available there might be a chance the studio would be aval. Again I would also look at the ad700x cause its dirt cheap on there if you prefer that route at least from what I can see on my end. (try to make sure they take returns though too if you can better safe than sorry)

hmm i looked into the studio its 80ohm meaning it would need an amp

I would have to pay about 20$ for shipping from Amazon England. From Amazon Germany I can order with free shipping to Czechia. Most of the times it’s the cheapest to order locally.

AD700x is way overpriced both here and in Germany.

Really? The 62 ohm K702 works fine without AMP, at least on my board. It’s a pretty high end board so it has kinda beefed up audio.