Budget bassy headphones under 100$?

Any idea how the CALs would compare to the Blon B8?

I was surprised how decent the bass was for it being a neutral sounding headphone. I’m not too much of a bass head, but if it had more bass I would say the over all sound wouldn’t be that good.

Stock pads? Or did you change them out for HM5 pads?

stock, I do want to change the pads though.

Considering the Blon B8, CAL!, maybe ath-m40x with changed pads.

Any reasons NOT to get these headphones?

M40x with pad change will cost over 100. At that price point, I would recommend the AKG K371 over it no question. It has good sub bass. It’s got pretty unique tuning. Also closed back, easily portable, foldable, and very lightweight and comfortable.

1 Like

Yeah I would also suggest the k371 over the m40x with a pad change, I think it would suit your preference more

Regarding the blon, I wasn’t as impressed as I was with the cals tbh, I think the cal has better sound where the blon has a more solid build

2 Likes

I would say it would probably be worth it over the CAL and the B8. Much higher build quality than the CAL, and better bass than both most likely. Comfortable, portable, easy to drive… they are a pretty good set.

1 Like

Hmm I guess if I were to save a little more I could get the K371. Would it be worth the price bump in comparison to the Blon B8 and CAL?

The K371 would cost me about 150$, the B8 and CAL 70$.

Edit: Meant as a reply lol.

Also made another acc because I hit the limit of replies.

The k371 is more refined than both, but I think the Cal has a more fun signature where the k371 may be good sounding but perhaps boring on certain tracks

If that happened where you can’t post just send me a PM (just click on my profile and click message) and I can remove the limit if it happens

So I think the k371 is the more refined headphone, but the cal has a more fun tuning, it just might sound more exciting for some tracks compared to the 371, so this is getting to more preference

Edit: you should now be able to post on your main account now

2 Likes

Hmm I guess these are my top considerations now. Blon B8, CAL, or K371 if I save a little more.

What made you prefer the CAL over the B8 btw?

I think the Cal had the better bass impact and control, and I preferred the tuning of the Cal

The blon had more detail but I just found I enjoyed the cal more

Both have somewhat similar soundstage and the blon might have the edge in imaging if that matters to you

Both are pretty great and I don’t think you would be disappointed with either

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies, I have much to think about. <3

Just a quick question, how much can you get an audioquest nighthawk carbon for over there? (Either new or used)

Doesn’t look like any retailers are selling here in Malaysia . Sent an email asking if it’s available here and how much since they have a website here.

Gotcha, never mind then :+1:

Thanks agn for the replies, <3.

No problem, if you have any more questions just ask, there are lots of people on here with lots of info and experiences lol

1 Like

I’d like to throw in my suggestions, I’m a bit of a basshead (which is an understatement) and I own all those minus Takstar.

In order of preference for me.

BLON B8/SIVGA SV006 (get whatever one is cheaper they’re the same imo), CAL, Monoprice Retros (with brainwavz pads).

These wouldn’t be my first choice but worth a look, TaoTronics SoundSurge 46, Mpow H1, and Koss PortaPros. I find the SoundSurge 46 & Mpow H1 to be a bit boomy though, using them on a good dac/amp cleans that up a bit. PortaPros don’t look like much but they have excellent bass response, if you’re in a quiet environment go for it.

I’ll probably catch heat for this last one and I want to put the caveat of if you can get them cheap in your country I only paid $40 US for them, Skullcandy Hesh 3, they’re plasticy bullshit and clamp harder than most sets but pads are decent and they sound above average imo, they have good imaging and treble response for a bass centric headset. I think a lot of people are just afraid to recommend/try them because Skullcandy is a fashion brand, but I don’t really care, good cans are good cans. Skullcandy does have some good things but they charge too much for most of their stuff.

2 Likes