Budget "clarity" IEM

Hi all, I’m looking for a cheap “bright-neutral”/“clean”/“clarity-focused” IEM just to expand my palate, so to speak. Note the quotation marks, which is because I have never had a set like those labels so I have no idea what it’ll sound like. Bonus if it’s particularly good for vocals, as I’m still trying to figure out whether I like warmer vocals or the opposite.

From my cursory search here are my list:

1. HzSound HeartMirror
The legend of budget technicalities, but will take some time to ship from China.

2. Tanchjim Ola
Some claim it’s the king of vocals in its price point, but bass roll-off is a concern shared by many, even for a neutral set.

3. Moondrop SSR
? (No impressions)

4. Moondrop SSP
A bassier SSR but I don’t know if it’s what I’m looking for.

5. Tripowin Lea
? (No impressions)

Which one is the best representation of the described tuning? Are there any other better options?

Thanks.

2 Likes

From the above list, I can rec Heart mirror and tell you Lea is not what you waiting for. The others I haven’t heard yet but there’s a huge army of SSR fans out there.

2 Likes

Would the Chu fall into that category, if you wanted to keep the costs down in case you hate the tuning?

Yes. Cheapest way to do it.

In fact, OP should consider it.

2 Likes

I for one will disagree with nymz: I find heart mirror a too dangerous choice. I like quite bright sets, and the HM sounded way too harsh for me. It was unbearable with the default tips/spinfits cp100. I had to buy azla crystals (so half the price of the set spent in tips) to get an acceptable sound (final e can also be an option).

I, on the other hand advise you for SSR: built like a tank, very small so very easy to wear; soundwise, it is not as flat as you could fear: it can have slam on some tracks. I have put seedna eartips on it, but the default provided tips are OK.

On the accessories side, each one has its strength: the HM has the best case’s size I know (you can put the set and your bt dongle in it, while still being not too big), but the cable is not very well built. The SSR has a simple but good cable, but only comes with a pouch.

The hardware and fit is a tie, too: the 2 sets are quite small so you should have any comfort problem. They both are connected with 2 pin. The HM , with its chromy surface, can be a fingerprint magnet, though.

Chu for me no brainer.

I’ve owned the aria, melee, heart mirror, and currently have the starfields, but I’d easily take the Chu over any of them just on tuning alone, which fits perfectly with what you’re looking for.

In terms of technicalities there are very little differences to me as I A/B the Chu and starfields (maybe better imaging on the starfields?). They’re all cheaper 1DD sets so there isn’t going to be a huge difference when it comes to resolution. I A/B the Chu to the Olina and resolution wise the Olina is maybe 15-20% better? (imaging and soundstage)

But just a heads up that the Chu can get tiring at higher volumes/longer sessions, but you can add in a Tanya or Olina filter and that’ll solve the fatigue if you’re cool with tinkering.

I’d also throw in the collab* Crin did with Truthear (Zero) since it graphs similar and very promising with its 2DD. Basically a Chu with more bass is my bet.

3 Likes

An alternative to modding chu ils using final E tips, or bgvp e01: these tips tame the treble area

1 Like

Speaking of Chu…

3 Likes

Ya spring tips can get tiring, and considering how much time it takes, tip-rolling is under modding for me :laughing: Well, any notable changes made to the stock sound/tuning is a modifiication in my books :+1:

@nymz Looks solidd, but Chu after EQ is pretty amazing… (spring tips///+3db, 0.6, 150hz low-shelf and -2db, 1, at 4000hz high-shelf)

Something like this:

2 Likes

I know that graph!!

Close enough I guess :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well Chu is a mini Olina after-all :sunglasses: 80%+ there imo. Insane value.

1 Like

After seing zero graph I got semi hyped. Mine just got shipped today with another interesting budget set :partying_face:

2 Likes

Let me know how it compares to stock Chu and EQ Chu :joy: The tuning is too similar for me to drop money on it haha

1 Like

That’s the main event for sure. I dig the shells. Hate it or love it, 7hz has creativity.

1 Like

Don’t rule out the daddy. The one, the only Tin T2.

3 Likes

I own the SSP, and used to own the SSR. The SSR has no bass, and the SSP isn’t exactly bass heavy. They are tiny and might be the most comfortable IEMs that I own.

The Lea, Ola and HeartMirror are all weak on bass.

My understanding is that the real reason to buy the HeartMirror is to mod it, since the driver is apparently very good. I am guessing there are some people that know about it on the forum. I remember this one being very popular when I first got on HFG.

If I were looking for budget set right now I would probably go with the Moondrop Chu. The other IEM I might consider would be the CCA CRA, but it has loads of sub-bass, so it might not be a clarity IEM, since most of your picks have been lacking sub-bass.

This is a very good recommendation. I know that several people still rank them as the best budget neutral IEM on the market.

2 Likes

I need to get T2 out of my list and buy it again for science. I don’t think I had the taste back then.

1 Like

I have never owned the T2, but I won’t pretend to like neutral.

I am a classic rock guy, so I almost always like a bit of bass.

I tried that too. Didn’t like it more the second time.
The thing just hit a sensitive spot frequency wise: all I heard was sibilance.

I tried the t4 and didn’t really like it either. I don’t remember with what other iem I compared it, but the winner was quite clear. I was shocked though as on graph the two sets were very similar, especially on bass department, but they sounded really different in that area. Maybe it was the Aria?

1 Like

Aria? That’s much warmer.

I really don’t like Aria but I disliked T2 more. Again, just a matter of consistency. If I buy it it’s through amazon and then return it again :joy:

2 Likes