Building YOUR Headphone Ideas! (DMS video official)

A wireless mod for the KPH30i would greatly improve its durability, since it’s often the cable that breaks before the headphones. A detachable cable mod would also be great.

I would love to see a closed back kph30i. I know koss has the sp330s but I generally prefer headphones that stay in one piece.

Here’s another one.

If the DCA Stealths are doing it, why not do it to the 6XX.

Damping Acoustic Metamaterial Nightmare (DAMN™)

Metamaterial 6XX Closed Back.stl (6Mb)

I recommend printing the closed backs with 20% infill and a gyroid support pattern if you’re using Cura.

4 Likes

So if there was anything I learned from working in the audio trade, audio almost never does what you want when you are designing an acoustic space(Unless you are a physicist or acoustical engineer). I see the previous posts and they are totally great, but… you need to think outside of the box. Throw out all conventional thinking and throw something together. You will be surprised at the results.

Here is my attempt at throwing some random diffusion together.

Currently listening to it right now, decided to drill 3 1/8th inch bass ports into it. Doubled up on layers of Dekoni HD600 driver foam in the cup, Dekoni Elite Velour pads and I must say its extremely interesting to listen to.

Without damping foam, I found the mid range to be surprisingly thin. Anyone attempting this should definitely grab open cell foam from the hardware store or… Shameless plug, grab a Dekoni attenuation kit.

20210831_150544

I would have slapped it on the measurement rig, but it needs to be reassembled after moving it.

@DMS Let me send you a care package with all of our HD600 products
FYI - I work for Dekoni so take my recommendations with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

These are finished and I’m going to try them this week! They printed well on the first try

1 Like

oh this is great, I’m absolutely going to try this

1 Like

I’m gonna print (DAMN™) then listen to the album DAMN on it.

Yep! I’m using cura, I’ll give that a go. These look great.

1 Like

Here is version 2 of the DAMN.

Metamaterial v2 6XX Closed Back.stl (20Mb)

No support needs to be turned off for printing and 20% infill is recommended.
Print with the flat side down.

4 Likes

Awesome! Great to hear.

Before you print the DAMN, I have an improved version that will trap the unwanted waves better.
Hopefully, you didn’t print the previous one yet.
This version will also print without support with the flat side down as I removed the curved back.

One idea to explore is mimicking the waveguide that the new Dan Clark stealth uses. called AMTS (mentioned around 7:15 here Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements - YouTube). I think there is a lot of opportunity to explore here.

I have a 3d printer and I’d be willing to try some designs when I get time if anyone has the STL files

Great design! printing it now.

I saw that technology and had to at least mimic what it was trying to do!

This design is a hybrid between the AMTS and my DAMN system and I believe it’ll work better than the previous iteration.

It features an initial hexagonal Helmholtz resonating system just like the one seen in the AMTS and a dual-layer metamaterial diffusion stage (DAMN) at the back of the cup. Hopefully, it removes unwanted noise and treble resonances. The AMTS on mine doesn’t have a slope and due to the lack of space between the drivers and the cups, I think the soundstage will be severely affected.

Metamaterial Diffuser & Helmholtz Resonator Hybrid 6XX Closed Back.stl [6.2Mb]

I recommend printing with 20% infill and a gyroid infill pattern. Supports must be turned off!
Print with the flat side down on the plate.

Happy Printing!

6 Likes

What’s up with everyone talking about kph30i?
I guess I should do the same hmm
What about taking a pair of kph30i and slapping a small planar or make a small estat and slap it in there, or just make more holes behind the driver and remove the foam behind the driver to make it a lot more open and airy

This is insane and so damn cool. Starting this print now.

3 Likes

actually. starting THIS one ha

4 Likes

my god, you are real good at cad

4 Likes

Be careful with the air pressure behind the driver. I have two HD600s that both reacted negatively to an increase in air pressure. The voice coil seems to be rubbing inside the magnet which smells like burnt electronics. Consider venting your 3D models.

1 Like

Do you have any suggestions for where to put the vent holes?

I was thinking of putting them in the middle of the back of the cups or at the outer edge of the cups in an elliptic shape that surrounds the 2nd metamaterial diffuser.

I’m also not sure how big the holes/slits should be.
Maybe like the Fostex T50RPs? Though they are semi-open backs…

1 Like

My first thought was to make a bicycle spoke pattern, center behind the driver.

1 Like