Building YOUR Headphone Ideas! (DMS video official)

Something like this?

1 Like

Yup, thats the stuff!

1 Like

Hi is there any measurement of closeback mod with velour pads? reason being I am living in warmer climate and would like to stick to the velour pads, even while closeback, like the one from drop.
Also, is it possible to design a version where i can just stick some acoustic foam in there? would that still good enough to reduce the air pressure or refraction? Sorry i have no idea about headphone design, just genuinely curious.

1 Like

I gotta set up the test rig this week @ Dekoni, we just recently moved it. Unfortunately I cannot get measurements right now.

You seriously have some mad skills there with the 3D modeling!

2 Likes

is there another link for this stl? it says the file does not exist :confused:

1 Like

Sorry about that, was organising my google drive and must’ve deleted it on accident.
I have updated the original post with a new link, should work now.

Welcome to the community btw! :slight_smile:

Thank you! I just bought a pair of HD6XX’s when I found this thread, I’ve been lurking around hifiguides for a while and hopefully I’ll be more active in the time to ocme :slight_smile:

I’m about to try printing some of your efforts @Cosworth if the 3d printer will stop being a bastard on me lol.

I think it may be worth trying a ported version also, it’s all very exciting and great work. I’m horrid with 3d stuff.

edit: meh, need to mock up some pad rings now as well…old ones just broke… Hope this ender plays nice this time round or it may just be it’s ender!!!

Awesome, hope you like the HD6XXs, I’ll also try and model some new ideas.

1 Like

I was working on some ported versions, I’ll upload them here after some more refinements. I’m also working on a wild one, inspired by microphone mounts :wink:. Hopefully, I can share it with you guys after some testing. I love my Ender 3 v2 although the thermistor just melted off… I was printing at very high temperatures. Waiting for new parts to come.

1 Like

I’m waiting for my HD6xx to boomerang back to me (was out on loan) but I got a HD58x here I was just about to try some fat hybrid pads on. Until the pad ring split, how are you folks attaching your pads?.

Good news it seems the Ender heard me so decided it’s going to play nice for me, it’s my youngest Son’s but I’m better at breaking it than him…

Oh if your going to make ported I’ll wait and just play with yours lol as your very good at it, I’m going to go have a dig through my foam pile see what dampening I got laying about. Might try the modeling that’s similar to the elegia design as well with some dampening and porting.

Such a fun thread and great Idea/s.

edit: man 8 fails, least I got em early but then I got a win, just gave it a quick sand and next is printing s-l-o-w-l-y lol… Oh man I’m so old dirt looks youthful, printer isn’t even an Ender any more it seems , In fact it’s an anycubic thingo lol.

Looks may not matter but I’m pleased lol it may just be a fingerprint magnet now lol…hahahaha OMG…Look @ the time…madness…

1 Like

I just printed up a pair of the unvented metamaterial v3’s and I am quite impressed, no weird resonances or any weirdness to the tuning that i can tell by ear (abxing them it seems like theres a slight change in the midrange but its not bad, just different).

The bass definitely got a bump without the weird bloat that normally accompanies closed back modding headphones. Theyre super fun and bassy without sacrificing good midrange or treble!

I did have a few issues with printing but it got me “close enough” to be happy. theyre a bit loose and probably dont seal as well as they should but I’m just treating that like a ghetto port :joy: (ignore the piece of tape hanging out its just increasing the friction a little bit)

4 Likes

Awesome, that’s great to hear! Removing any resonances was my main goal and it seems like I have achieved it. Tolerance is for sure something to work on. Bass extension is always great to hear as the Sennys lack some. That print looks fantastic, it looks like forged carbon. Good to hear that you like them, I’ll post some vented options soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My god that glossy finish looks phenomenal. Throw matte black out the window, Glossy FTW.

1 Like

Thanks! It’s an artifact of how I print things. I use a glass bed with an abs slurry that I apply with a cotton swab. The slurry creates those patterns on the print surface and the bottom of the part is as smooth as glass because of it (you can even seen the reflection of my table lol).

I mainly do it to avoid warping with abs, and ever since I started I’ve never had warping issues.

I’m going to try printing it again but this time at about 0.25 speed to prevent the kinda jumbled mess that happened with the internals lol. I’m not sure how much of your design ended actually being printed, I think that the metamaterial ended up more like plastic steel wool than an actual patten :skull: but that still helps with diffusion so I think it’s still doing its job one way or another.

lol, I recommend around 55mm/s, 0.2mm layer height with 20% infill even though that takes around 20 hours for a pair with my slicer settings.

edit: If you’re on Cura, I highly recommend turning on the ‘Print Thin Walls’ function. That might solve the plastic wool issue.

Now I have a pair… And also did a brushed finish, lol not that different hehehe.

Yes it could be smoother on the inside print but I thought randomized lines/ridges may help. Am lil drunk, may have forgot to add also trialing different acoustical foams/felts and stiffeners.

edit: forgot fitted pics, sorry…lol and yes that’s a set of HD58x…still waiting for my HD6xx’s to find their way home… Here’s my Stealth HD58x-Closed for now, dialed down the mirror finished to a stealthy brushed finish but still polished when catch-lights as you can see in images. Running acoustical foam also

1 Like

Well back to the start and OEM pads and hopefully a bit of time to play 'n listen, grabbed a set of sheepskin pads out to try also.

edit: Well now I’m lost lol but having fun.

Sheepskin solid pads sure bump that bass, microscreen mesh instead of the old thin foam from the fronts gives much more clear/cleaner sound.

2 Likes

Hi Cosworth, is it possible just print something to cover the mesh from the inside of the inside? so to keep original mesh? will these fits into the original cup? image