Call for some active moderators

Can someone clarify to me what qualifies as needing to be moved?

So for example there was some very off topic argument in the endgame thread, which I moved and made it visible to only those in the argument. It was content that was off topic, not good for the community, and is something that would be better left to handle in private or drop altogether. I rarely do this but it needed to be done in this case for such a nonproductive discussion in a large thread

3 Likes

anything that would be considered heresy or cause an insurrection?

so pretty much anything that I donā€™t agree with. :wink:

Thanks for addressing this, @M0N. Itā€™s also true that sometimes ā€˜sanitizingā€™ a thread also removes opportunities for both the individuals involved and the community to learn from mistakes. I donā€™t know if itā€™s realisitc, but is it possible to dump that portion of the conversation - with names removed (no need to pile on) - in a different thread to serve as a model for behavior we would like to avoid? That might be useful for newcomers, and us old timers alike who sometimes still forget decorum, to see what kind of atmosphere we do and donā€™t want here.

1 Like

This is a large concern for me. I am pretty hands off and open by nature, but if the community calls for it (as they did in that thread) I will take action but I really donā€™t like to do anything that would censor or hide information (unless itā€™s absolutely necessary). I also am not a stickler about staying 100% on topic either, but I would prefer if things donā€™t go too far off past a point of no return

It would be a pretty big pain, so for now the answer is no, unless there is something I am missing feature wise but making the statements fully anonymous seems pretty hard tbh

I think thatā€™s just going to have to be enforced and encouraged by the community tbh. I would really appreciate if members of the community would take care to not get into non productive arguments and mediate, and practice good discussion

3 Likes

Also again, if there is something you feel needs to be addressed please let me know via flag or pm, this would really help me out since I am no longer actively participating due to work.

I am in the process of getting a new mod (will see if this finally prompts action) and hopefully there will be more community mods active that understand the community and can help make sure things donā€™t get too out of hand

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a difference in discussing your opinions as compared to others, then thereā€™s people just being assholes. Itā€™s pretty clear to see when someone crosses the line. Being condescending, being repetitive while not moving the discussion forward or simply agreeing to disagree.

This is a pretty damned subjective hobby and in the example @M0N mentioned is became an argument about whether thereā€™s more blue or more green shades to the color of a robinā€™s egg.

Forums are a dying resource and nowadays only healthy in very specific often niche topics. The only ones that are viable are ones that provide content, entertainment and a knowledge resource.

Argumentative or worse, argumentative members that contribute little are the fast lane towards the death of a forum.

5 Likes

And then people complained about the robins existence

Pretty true, loosing a healthy community can be a very bad thing, and itā€™s common unfortunately.

I think just those that contribute little in general are the issue. Also to be clear here you donā€™t have to be extremely experienced or diehard or anything to make positive contributions. Asking questions, giving your experience, and contributing to discussion without being an ass is good. Just remember this whole thing is subjective as shit, and if your opinions donā€™t align with someone elseā€™s, itā€™s not worth fighting about, itā€™s totally fine to have some productive discussion about your differences and opinions (diverse experiences are good for the forum overall, you donā€™t have to see eye to eye). Just attacking people directly or contributing something that doesnā€™t bring anything helpful or enjoyable to a discussion isnā€™t a good thing. This is an audio forum after all, we are all just fans of music and gear, and we just want to chill and chat.

5 Likes

I agree, contribution is as simply as sharing your own personal journey. Weā€™re all at different stages and sharing our experiences is the whole point of forums.

3 Likes

That is all most of us can do, unless you work in the industry or are some kind of recognized expert.

The golden rule should be to only comment on stuff you own or have owned. Unless it is to say ā€œI heard/read/was told that product likely would/wouldnā€™t work in this situationā€.

With all the members on this forum we should have someone with experience with almost everything out there.
Of course even then, it is just an opinion. :grin:

4 Likes

Iā€™m here all the time viewing posts and posting. I dont mind being a moderator.

Have a nice Time Mon ,:wink:.I hope your work are not so stressfull.
And stay Healthy,come back when you can and will :smile:.

I hope it is possible to engage 2-3 mods more for the objectif things.Who saved a bit the Forum.
I have see a few days it give some spam in Thearth who are not this place for it for talk about.
I hope for better timesšŸ˜‰.
And more Engagement from other mods who can do what is possible next to your reallife.

2 Likes

Ah glad to hear you are just busy M0N and that everything is okay on your end. Iā€™ve missed seeing you around!

I agree with the sentiment that we should have a few more mods for topics and controlling off-topic, but for the most part I think most of the time people are quite nice and donā€™t need to be moderated in terms of toxic behavior. I feel like if something does get out of hand, usually people call it out pretty quickly.

pause

10 chrt limit

1 Like

Indeed, people here are quite nice. Iā€™m already sure Iā€™m behind on official threads for sure lol, just that kinda stuff needs the most attention. Also new users getting blocked for typing too fast is something a mod would have to unblock

Yes, I just think that not having it get out of hand first would be preferable lol

3 Likes

This is the ideal scenario sure, but it doesnā€™t always happen that way unfortunately :frowning:

Just the person you want as a moderator

2 Likes

Hey now, letā€™s not call out a deleted post. I get that he has said it, but he did decide to redact it so I personally wouldnā€™t call attention to it as he feels it no longer represents what he thinks. We all make rash decisions and they donā€™t need to be kept up for everyone to see if they donā€™t have to be

7 Likes

Sorry, I just think it speaks volumes and donā€™t think the fact that you delete something should mean all is forgotten and forgiven. Was having a what I felt was a constructive debate and then I read this, I literally said in the post prior to him sending this that I had nothing against him and just wanted him to try and listen to the majority of the people involved in the discussion rather than give them blanket replies and this is what I was replied with. I get that it is over, just think it speaks volume of character and ability (rather inability) to take criticism.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not talking about forgiveness here, but I do think that it doesnā€™t need to be plastered all over the place either for a post that was removed pretty soon after it was posted. Context is also important as well, so a screenshotted post can also kinda be misleading in that regard

5 Likes