šŸ”¶ Campfire Audio Andromeda

Definitely borrow those Solaris from your friendā€¦I found the Mercuries on Bloom Audio. (Only 78 were ever made, so maybe itā€™ll be a collectible?)

1 Like

I, personally, love using foam tips and I have an extensive collection of different shapes and different densities just like most people collect silicone tips (which I also have a ton of lol). I understood what you meant and the reason I suggested Radius Deep Mounts is because they allow for a deeper fit than the Spiral Dots, but have a similar sonic profile. I would definitely try the foams even if the Final Audio tips fit because sometimes foams can be an even better pairing.

Iā€™ll definitely see about getting my hands on a pair to listen to when I can. :metal::sunglasses:

Iā€™m definitely going to have to do some experimenting. Tried the foams and they killed the treble response. But in light of the Solaris needing deeper insertion, I went down a size in the tip diameter, and got a good seal with deeper insertion. Still, LOL, I noticed after swapping out for the Andros that I really, really love the androsā€™ neutrality through the midsā€¦ and these seem to have a peak in the 2K-2.5K region, which makes some sense based on the graphic CA has on the website depicting a W shape frequency response. If I can tame that without killing the other frequencies, Iā€™ll be in the money. Or, maybe I just have to accept that these are not the Andros, and love both for what each does well.

1 Like

If you ever want to try some cheap foam tips that wonā€™t kill the treble and will change the way you look at foam tips from then on, go on AliExpress and order the Anjirui TS-400 foam tips. Iā€™ll attach a pic, but their shape, wide bore, and extra dense foam make for a tip that is comfy like foam without the tradition bloated bass and rolled off treble. Highly recommended and cheap to.

1 Like

Thanks. And cool colors, too! How do they not kill the treble?

Theyā€™re shorter than traditional foams and theyā€™re much more dense so they have less effect overall because the soubd waves spend less time in contact with them and also the increased density makes for less energy loss in high frequency waves.

Edit: This is my belief/hypothesis anyways.

Well, I gave those tips an order. In addition I picked up some earphones from a manufacturer on AliExpress, Venture Electronics. I discovered them about six years ago when I saw a review of a $5.00 set of earphones (they still sell them for $5.00!). There was a $20 pair of metal housed ear buds I wanted to try back then, but was out of work and couldnā€™t afford them. LOL. Now Iā€™m talking about $1600 IEMs! How life changes! Nonetheless, those $5.00 earphones were WAY better than they should have ever sounded. And if Sennheiser was selling them, theyā€™d cost $75, and they would still be worth it.

1 Like

I have owned a few VE buds and they make some pretty darn good pairs. I teally enjoyed the VE Sun Dice, but I couldnā€™t get a stable fit so I ended up trading them. The $5 VE Monks have gotten a lot of folks started down the earbud rabbit hole for sure.

Youā€™ll have to try to remember to let me know how the tips work out for you. Iā€™m always curious to see how other people experience the same gear I have.

1 Like

How is the hiss with the mojo 2? I have the mojo 1 and I canā€™t use it directly with my Andro 2020 due to the hiss. I do sometimes use it with the ifi iematch but I would prefer not to.

With the Andro, it is noticeable, but while music is playing, it is tolerable (at least for me), and the improvements in treble response, midrange detail and texture, and overall bass response outweigh the slight background noice, IMO.

Just a quick update, my T400s are stateside. Will be delivered any day now.

Also, ordered the new Enerald Sea rendition!!

Mine arrived today. Iā€™m in love all over again with Andromeda. Even further detail, ever so slightly more bass. Still warm mids, just more timbre. Clearer than ever. Airy as hell. Stage is still pretty good, slightly deeper. These earphones are accurate, but fun as hell.

2 Likes

So, in addition to ordering the TS400 tips, I took the opportunity to order a step up in the VE store, metal body monks. Going to see if theyā€™re any better. BTW, my TS400 should be arriving today. Additionally, if youā€™re still in love with the Andro, the Emerald Sea are completely worth it. Even clearer, airier, slightly more extended and present bass response. Punchy as hell. Incredible IEMs. Plus the new cables are top notch.

2 Likes

Nice! Let me know how the TS400s work out for you. As far as the Emerald Sea goes, do you mind giving me a little breakdown on how they differ from the regular Andros?

Edit: NM, I just read your posts above lol! :rofl: Iā€™m glad the Emerald Seas are a good match for you. Iā€™m gonna have to see about listening to a pair at some point.

1 Like

Seriously, the emerald sea is not a departure from regular Andro, just an evolution. Mids are still warm and intimate, just that extra air and detail and very slight bump in extension on the bass. But they do sound better. I thought that would be impossible. Plus, I have unit #17. So if these become collectible, Iā€™m sitting pretty.

So, the TS-400s came along with a pair of VE Monks with metal body. The Monks, meh. They are warmer than they should be. The TS-400s. You werenā€™t lying. Somehow there is absolutely no treble rolloff. Not sure how a foam tip does that. Thanks for the heads up. Iā€™ve tried them on the Andromeda Emerald Sea and my Noble Focus Mystiques. I noticed on the Andromeda, there were some treble textures that became emphasized on a certain song that I hadnā€™t heard before adding some space and dimension that wasnā€™t there with my Final Type E tips. And the midrange seems somehow smoother through these. No bright or harsh spots. I donā€™t know that I am going to completely replace my whole collection. I still like the feel of the silicon better, but damn, these are the best foam tips Iā€™ve heard yet.

1 Like

Iā€™m glad they worked out for you. The TS-400s are a staple of my tip collection and they are unique amongst the many foam tips that I have tried in their ability to let the sound, particularly the treble, come through untouched.

Thatā€™s a shame about the Monks. It seems that many of VEā€™s buds ride that fine line between being warm and lush and being too warm and smothering. When they get that balance right they can make some very tasty buds, but when they get it wrong ā€œmehā€ is the best case scenario. Thanks for the impressions though. I have thought about grabbing these to try more than once, but Iā€™m not the biggest fan of warm sound sigs so I think Iā€™ll just give them a pass.

I can see why you love them so much. They ensure an excellent fit in the ear, isolation is spectacular. And they donā€™t hinder the sound coming out of expensive IEMs. And they are so reasonably priced.

1 Like

So, I wound up permanently installing the TS400 on my new pair of CA Solaris Stellar Horizon. They balance the sound in an astonishing way.

1 Like