🔶 Campfire Audio Andromeda

26AWG cryo 7N UPOCC unicorn hair?..:smiley:

1 Like

Whatever you’d like haha :grin: I use some silver on my Andros

1 Like

Yep not a massive ‘cable guy’ but swopping out the original cable because of the memory wire #@# with the FH7 one messed with the sound that’s why that set being so low resistance I thought silver maybe the way to go?

Ah! Yes! Sounds like you’ve pulled all the good attributes from them. That’s awesome and we’re happy for you!!!

Did you get the smoky grey wire or a white one? My white cable didn’t have the memory piece around the ear and that drove me crazy. It’s so loose and if I lean forward or turn to the side, the cable falls from around my ear. I hate it. My Polaris 2’s came with the smokey grey cable and it had the memory wire, which I prefer.

Glad you enjoyed the purchase! Cheers! What’s the next purchase? lol just playing! not planting any seeds haha

1 Like

Fiio cables are… Average… It’s not just about silver or copper but also about how good the actual conductor is. I like my Andros to be airier and more ethereal so I went with pure silver litz I like and it did the right thing :grin:

It’s a clear cable so maybe it’ll try to remove the wire :thinking:

Ooooo I really want to hear more stuff first hand like I was gonna at London CanJam before this virus nightmare :cry:…so maybe a Dac/Amp upgrade to see me through and to back up feature IEM purchases a Hugo2? how knows :man_shrugging:

Mithril cables said Legolas lol.

2 Likes

If you’re UK based I’m happy to let you demo :smile:

1 Like

Yes I am UK based on the K&A canal so thanks for the demo offer :+1:…I’ve been looking at these cables that are made in Latvia and have a good rep?..

Damn I love this set…how do tuners move on without messing with the sonic masterpiece they’ve already created?..I know what i’d like to add sonically but that’s a big ask…a bit like Picasso and his different art periods?

1 Like

Very carefully, I’d imagine, given the business lessons of New Coke. :slight_smile:

In a Head-Fi TV interview with Campfire, Ken Ball said the 2020 revision of Andromeda uses a 3D-printed chassis / acoustic chamber; Jude and co spent some time discussing what that looks like for the new Solaris. Here’s a capture of the exploded view they showed:

Ken said these acoustic chambers were first developed to support the CIEM models they’re been working on, and now they’re rolling those back into the universal models. This apparently simplifies assembly as well as significantly tightens tolerances. Apparently this translates to even better detail retrieval for Andro 2020 without changing the sound signature / voicing in any significant way. Sounds like a pretty impressive accomplishment!

4 Likes

Grew a pair and went for it as the cable has been really, really fucking me off…wire’s gone, cable works and the fit is spot on :smiley:

1 Like

Signature synergy ruined after this mod. The litz wire needs that memory wire in order to produce to best sound. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Nice, glad it went smoothly

1 Like

Man why would anyone put wire like that in a cable?..it doesn’t move as you do, trying to get it to conform to your ear (each fitting :yawning_face:) pulling and messing with the tip fit which takes me 2 seconds each side normally :man_shrugging:…all good now though :smiley:

1 Like

I am not sure how the 2020 version sounds, but as someone who owns the Solstice (Custom Andromeda), I am not sure how I feel about this. When I compared the Andromeda S side by side with my Solstice, I still preferred the sound of the Andromeda S.

Well, the S was a retune, so it should sound different from the OG green Andros. The idea of the 2020 green version was to preserve the sound, though, so it should be very similar to older greens (maybe enhanced detail as suggested).

I think it was Campfire at CANJAM SoCal last year who told me that CIEMs present a challenge over universal fit because a deep stem insert can affect the sound. Would be interesting to see if a universal Andro 2020 sounds the same as Solstice, or significantly different.

True, I will say that I did try the original green at RMAF. I might buy the Andro 2020 just due to me missing that sound signature, but not sure if I should use that money for other headphones/IEMs.

Ok I’ve had this set for about a month and I’ve never left a listening session disappointed, so it’s pretty much iem endgame for me with my music library…if any company wants me to spend more then i’d need to listen to their sets first…on a side note I do occasionally flick the iFi Micro’s (a good combo) XBass toggle but that’s it.

Recommended :+1:

3 Likes

Just got the Andromeda 2020 and I have the Solstice, they do sound different. In general, I found the Solstice to be more of a linear sound and not as engaging like the original Andromeda or Andromeda S. It has been a while since I have listened to the OG Andromeda, but from what I remember of the OG Andromeda, the 2020 version has a similar tuning to the OG, but I do notice it being slightly more refined and detailed. I definitely miss this Andromeda sound and it is nice to hear it again with the 2020 revision after being disappointed with the tuning of the Solstice. I might prefer the OG Andromeda sound still over the 2020 version, but I am only going off of memory.

4 Likes