đŸ”¶ Campfire Solaris

To bring things back on topic a little more, I was using the Shure SE846 and happy for years. In a trip to NYC I stopped by Audio46 and listened to a few of the latest gen IEMs. Walked away with the Solaris, it was on another level vs the SE846.

The wind-in-the-port issue means I had to sell them, but I blame the Solaris for sending me on a new IEM journey years after I thought I’d found my endgame :rofl:

2 Likes

Lol yeah, I am just getting into higher end iems as I have really always been a headphone person, but this canjam trip for me was pretty much just trying iems since I had heard all the headphones before lol

High end iems have come a long way, they just move too quickly for me to keep up with everything going on lol. I recall being impressed by the 846 awhile ago

Thanks @M0N. So it’s closer in practice to “driver inflexible”, by which I mean the seal ends up preventing the driver from moving as it should?

Pretty much accurate :+1:

1 Like

CanJam in London last year was where I replaced the Solaris. It’s been more and more ever since. Stupid Solaris, I should have never listened to them!

I shouldn’t have any problems with wind in the port syndrome as I only use them indoors :+1:
Out of interest what did you replace them with?

Ah, you’ll be absolutely golden then, they’re a great-sounding IEM.

I initially replaced them with the 64 Audio U18t, but I have those and a few others now. Not because the U18t wasn’t good enough (it’s an amazing IEM for which I’ve since ordered custom tips), but because I caught “the bug” again and have been enjoying experimenting with different sounds.

2 Likes

How did you find the U18t stacked up against the Solaris? as both the U18t and a8000’s are x2+ the price I can get the Solaris for :grimacing:

It’s worth lol

The Solaris has, IMO, slightly better texture to the bass. As has been said many times before, there’s something about DD bass that just isn’t the same as BA, no matter how well-tuned. So on that level, I think the Solaris takes it. More impact, more slam, more textured and just a bit more natural sounding.

For everything else, though, the U18t is more suited to my tastes. The midrange is excellent. However where it truly shines, at least for me, is the treble. I’m not a detail freak and treble often annoys me and fatigues my ears/brain. I don’t usually chase sparkle, because I find it becomes annoying once you’re over the “wow, so much detail” phase. The U18t is different though. The best word I can think of to describe the treble is “sweet”. Smooth implies it’s recessed, but sweet is better because it describes that it’s present and noticeable, but not tiring. Loads of air and it never really tires me out (although it can show up on poorly recorded tracks, but lots of things can get a bit excitable when this happens).

It’s a huge price jump though, so as always, it’s all about what is important to each listener. For me though, it was worth it, I really like the U18t and never regretted selling the Solaris, as nice as I find the sound on the Campfire flagship.

1 Like

I need those xD

Thank you for your honest opinion I appreciate it :smiley: all though i’m not sure my bank balance will lol
hopefully I can listen to them along with the a8000 and a few others at CanJam UK and decide on which is the best bang for buck :+1: maybe the Tia Trio also :thinking:

Cool - see you at CanJam UK then. Trying to organise to meet up with some of the folks over on Head-Fi so feel free to hit me up on here if you want to have some people to hang out with for drinks on any of the days :smiley:

Sorry - will stop derailing the thread now - more Solaris opinions please!!

1 Like

Side track hi-jack 
. not sure if Unique Melody will be a CanJam UK, but something to check out if y’all are going.

Cool sounds good :smiley:

Don’r worry too much about that as most threads end up that way on here in a good way lol

The mest was pretty nice, not exactly my style but pretty impressive for the price imo

Lol I don’t think there are many threads on here that haven’t been derailed

1 Like

My very first IEMs were Noble K10 Customs that appeared maybe twice at Massdrop, marketed as some of the best-reviewed in-ears on Head-Fi. While I usually take Drop’s marketing spin (and Head-Fi’s comparative expertise) with a healthy pinch of salt, there’s no doubt those were a well-regarded model and hardly a bad place to start. And, OMG, custom fit. If I ever get on an airplane again it won’t be without CIEMs.

Meanwhile, as my headphone collection grew and I began to appreciate variety, I eventually found my way to CANJAM SoCal (2019). And aside from getting a chance to hear the Sennheiser HE-1, the #1 thing on my list was to figure out why every other IEM I read praise about was Campfire Andromeda.

Having heard a lot of excellent headphones by now, I’ve had plenty of first impressions along the lines of “wow, that’s really nice.” But only a handful of times where a listening experience has been so shockingly good that it stopped me in my tracks. OG Andromeda did that. I clearly remember thinking, “OMG, IEMs can do that?” Prior to that moment, I’d held a prejudice that going to IEMs meant sacrificing some of the magic of headphones for the sake of portability. Andromedas shattered that illusion.

The only criticism I could muster was, “well, the bass is a little to rolled off and polite–I wish these had a little more going on.” It’s the same way I felt (and still feel) about Utopias, which are still a benchmark for me in absolute technical ability. There’s nothing wrong, and nothing objectively lacking, but my personal tastes want just a little more down low so that some of my favorite high-energy electronic tracks are more engaging.

And then I tried Solaris. Done. Sold. Perfection. The Andromedas probably outshone them in mids and sparkly magic, but these were close enough and with exactly the right balance of low end that I was missing: full, smooth, detailed. Listening to the birds chirping and bass hit on Yosi Horikawa’s “Wandering,” I knew I had to have these.

After the show I did a silly thing: I placed a single order for Andromeda, Solaris and Atlas. I was all-in on Campfire.

The Andromedas went to my wife, who sings in a women’s choir and has been both supportive and appreciative of my audio hobby. The Solaris became my babies, and later justified the wholly unnecessary purchase of the gold SP1000M just to create an ensemble look (and for the ever-so-slightly more portable form factor of the M). And the Atlas were purely for the sake of variety–to have something to indulge in excess bass like some kind of audio triple-dark chocolate fudge gelato.

The Atlas surprised me with still-detailed mids that are simply recessed rather than overwhelmed by bass. I could easily see them being a daily driver for anyone wanting to bring the bass. They pump out the beats in a way that makes Solaris seem tame by comparison, but they accomplish that without smothering the mids and highs the way my Fostex TR-X00 Ebonies do.

Atlas does have some quirks–I’ve encountered both the driver flex and the lockout issues with mine, leading me to stick to foam tips. The flex issue can result in something internal suddenly releasing, causing a loud PING sound that leaves my ears ringing–making my fear both for my hearing and my IEMs. And the lockout simply leaves enough pressure in place that the driver cannot move, leading to little or no sound. Letting foam tips expand in place completely eliminates both problems, but it’s unfortunate that such a high-end IEM should have such issues.

Fortunately, I’ve not had any such issues with Solaris–the DD seems to equalize just fine with silicone tips, and sound levels and quality have never been adversely affected. The only issue with Solaris is the large bore size where the IEM body connects to the chrome stem–there is a shoulder on the black body of the IEM just below this that has the tiniest edge to it that can dig in just enough to cause some discomfort on long listening sessions. It’s usually not problematic for me, but it can be, depending on fitment. It’s interesting that Atlas seems to have the exact same nozzle dimensions, but without the sharp shoulder (and also a wires-down insertion style) and completely avoids the potential comfort-issue I have with Solaris.

When Campfire announced the Special Edition Gold remix of Andromeda I jumped on them, hoping to recapture that Andromeda magic, but with the extra bass I craved. Did they deliver? Yeah, mostly. I feel like mids and highs are closer to parity with Solaris than OG Andros, but with BA bass instead of DD bass. And they’re tinier, lighter and more comfortable. I still prefer the overall sound of Solaris, but the Andro Golds offer just enough compelling distinctiveness to cement a permanent place in my collection. The DD bass of Solaris is more visceral, bringing a dimension to the listening experience that earns it the top spot in my collection, but the BA bass of the Andro Golds is tighter and more controlled. Coupled with the better comfort factor and not so blatantly drawing attention to what’s in my ears, the Andro Golds are a better choice for certain situations.

I’ve listened to some other very good IEMs that I’ve enjoyed very much, like Noble Khan and Katana, but nothing that I felt I needed to add to the collection, and certainly nothing that I thought could replace Solaris. I’ve been pretty content to consider my IEM journey complete, save one exception

I’ve gained quite a bit of respect for Crinacle’s IEM rankings. I find him to be a harsh critic, but fair. So I’ve long wondered about the tiny collection of IEMs to which he has awarded an S rank, and specifically about the 64 Audio U12T (which badly needs its own thread, BTW). I finally got a pair last Friday, after patiently watching for any kind of sale or deal (and landing one at 20% off / $1600).

Like OG Andromedas, the U12Ts have been one of those ear-opening moments on my audio journey. They deliver sub-bass like no other IEM I have heard, but maintain the clarity and detail of BAs. Mids and highs are still excellent and detailed; they’re not so “guilty pleasure” a signature as the Atlas. I am now looking to configure a pair of A12Ts as my ultimate endgame, and the likely end of my search for anything better.

Are they worth $500 more than Solaris? That depends on how much an additional $500 stretches your budget. They certainly deliver enough beyond Solaris to command that price difference. And yet the Solaris, for me, already reaches a level of excellence across the board that makes it equally easy to say that they do everything well enough that it would be wiser to invest that $500 difference into a DAP that will do them justice.

5 Likes

Nice writeup, and I agree completely with your words on the Atlas. It surprised me that it wasn’t simply the bass cannon that I expected, but the driver flex/lockout issues persist. I don’t like the way foam tips affect the sound, so I stick with the silicones and just deal with the lockout when it happens. It’s usually only when I first insert them, and can occur when I feel the need to adjust them. Unfortunately since they are heavy and not over-ear, I feel the need to fiddle with them more than I would an iem I place over ear and forget about it. It does seem like it happens less after owning them for several months, but it still happens too frequently for me to recommend without reservation

1 Like