šŸ”¶ Campfire Solaris

We need some kind of combination of a coffee straw and a shoehorn, lol.

1 Like

Just recived my pair of solaris most say i really like them so far!

5 Likes

So what is your guys favorite amp pairing for them?

Hello Dr. Juggles, I need your help and personal experience.

Iā€™m about to get into the HiFi IEMā€™s. Iā€™ve done quite a lot of research. Days, nights, even dreamt about HiFi heaven jaja, all jokes aside.

I am looking 1 IEM to rule them all. Iā€™ve narrowed down to 3 contenders. Iā€™d say Solaris, but itā€™s out of my price range. I will buy used like new condition (save couple of hundred bucks) since I also will buy a DAP, or invest in the Dragonfly Red to use my cellphone and not have two devices.

1. Shure SE846
  2. CA Andromeda
  3. CA Jupiter (predecessor to Andromeda)

I listen to all genres, from Classical-Jazz-Lounge-Metal-Rap-Electornic and a bit more but these are the main genres I listen to every day.

I really like bass, so I know Shure will be great, in your experience how are the shureā€™s? What could you say in your experience with them.

Have you heard the Andromedas?

My plan here is as you said, I want the endgame. Will look after my IEMā€™s for the years to come. And want to make a single investment.

What would you recommend me Dr. Juggles

All the best
Dr. Rizzo

Wow! Mr. Speleo, that was one wicked review! Mr. Speleo, I was wondering if you could share your vast ear-sensation-evaluation-expertise with me.

Iā€™m about to get into the HiFi IEMā€™s, always owned pretty mainstream yet good quality headphones, earphones but never gotten pro. I am about to embark on a Journey, and delight and train my ears. Iā€™ve done quite a lot of research. Days, nights, even dreamt about HiFi Heaven!

I am looking 1 IEM to rule them all (as of know, maybe later in life get really Pro like yourself and have a collection) but for now as a 26 year old recently graduated physician I want to get serious. Iā€™ve narrowed down to 3 contenders. Iā€™d say Solaris, but itā€™s out of my price range. I will buy used like new condition (save couple of hundred bucks) since I also will buy a DAP, or invest in the Dragonfly Red to use my cellphone and not have two devices. What is your advice on this, Iā€™ve looked into the Pioneer XDP-300R. Or go with the Dragonfly Red and pair it up with my Android phone.

So the contenders Iā€™ve narrowed down are; Iā€™d include the Andromedas Gold but are the same price as Solaris. Looking to spend 700-850 dlls and all three below can be found in this range.

1. Shure SE846
  2. CA Andromeda
  3. CA Jupiter (predecessor to Andromeda)

I listen to all genres, from Classical-Jazz-Lounge-Metal-Rap-Electronic and a bit more but these are the main genres I listen to every day.

I really like bass, I know they are all BA, but Iā€™ve read Shure have great bass, but Adnromedas outshine them in all aspects.

In your experience how are the Andromedas, have you tried and experienced the SE846? What could you say in your experience with them.

My plan here is to have one main HiFi solid IEMs coupled with a a DAP or DAC/AMP + Cellphone. I really look after my equipment, so I know the ones I buy will serve me for the years to come.

What would you recommend Mr. Speleo.

All the best
Dr. Rizzoli

1 Like

If thereā€™s one thing Iā€™ve learned while exploring HiFi, itā€™s that thereā€™s never really any one ā€œbest.ā€ By the time you get into the type of price bracket youā€™re proposing, personal preference becomes a very strong factor. And when you have varied tastes and preferences (as I do) itā€™s even more challenging to nail down a ā€œbestā€ anything.

As for the DAP / DAC end of things, I think the best choice may be weighted by how youā€™ll use the device, and how often. I had a conversation recently with someone who asserted that there was no reason to own a DAP anymore because you can use phones for streaming. Thereā€™s some truth to that, but I still own several DAPs and appreciate them fore the ability to listen anywhere (including off-grid) without running down my battery. A lot of my music comes from FLAC rips of my CDs, too, and I appreciate having those on SD cards that I can share between players if I wish. But thatā€™s not how everyone listensā€¦

Something like a dragonfly might be a good place to start. Itā€™s tiny and does one simple job. It could be easy to graduate to something bigger later and keep the dragonfly as a backup. Itā€™s always nice to have options.

Not sure what your budget is like, but I like the Hiby R6 Pro and a buddy of mine has a FIIO M11 Pro thatā€™s good. I also have a Kann Cube thatā€™s powerful enough to drive headphones. Yet another option is something like an XDUOO-XD05, which is a DAC/Amp only, but beefy enough for headphones and you could snag the BT adapter to drive it wirelessly from your phone. Again, these are all optionsā€“best choices might depend on where you think you might go with next steps. If you just want to dip a toe in for now, thatā€™s kinda the sweet spot for something like the dragonfly.

Re: IEMs, I havenā€™t heard either the Shure or the Jupiter, but I can whole-heartedly endorse Andromeda as a (very) decent option for a first IEM. I find the bass a little lackluster in terms of quantity, but quality is excellent, and mids and highs are exceptional. They are a pretty good ā€œall-rounder,ā€ though if you go that route Iā€™d consider looking at something with a little more bass presence as a second IEM.

If youā€™ve got to live with one IEM, Andromeda is hardly suffering. Itā€™s a landmark for a reason. Furthermore, itā€™s one that a lot of people in the community have heard, so if you start there youā€™ll be in a great position to collect comparative opinions for other IEMs.

Sorry Marcelo - I didnā€™t see this until today!

Of those three, Iā€™ve never heard the Jupiter, but I would say the Andromeda is the better all-rounder. Now there are loads of different versions of the Andro out there, so I canā€™t comment on all of them of course, but generally theyā€™re much better balanced than the SE846, in my opinion. The Shure is great for bass, but itā€™s very rolled-off in the upper registers and, no matter which of the three filters you use, you canā€™t really do anything about that lack of detail from around 9kHz upwards.
That signature doesnā€™t particularly bother me, but itā€™s not great and you say you listen to classical and jazz, so I think thatā€™s probably not going to sound as good as it could on the Shures.

As always, if you can audition that would be best, but I know thatā€™s not possible for everyone. But based on your requirements, I think Ando is best :+1:

Thanks for the info. Been intrigued by both the Solaris and Dorado 2020 editions and any comparison is great!