Can someone explain to me why boomerphiles love jazz so much?

5 Likes

what’s “world music” like African Drummers and stuff that horribly stuffy old liberal women in New York would listen to?

I would just use Google because I can’t explain it too well lol

1 Like

I like Tinariwen, but that might be because they’re very close to rock.

1 Like

Jazz is an especially interesting instrumental art form because it often breaks rules of convention. You get musicians together that free flow and jam a bit, sometimes without strict composition, just an idea and they create things together that are sometimes really rare and unexpected. The problem with much of popular music is the more and more you hear the more and more it sounds the same. Rock music is mostly driven from the Blues and is often relatively simple in composition. That isn’t to say it’s bad, I’m just saying variety is the spice of life. If you understand some fundamentals of music theory that’s when improvisational jazz becomes the most impressive. When you hear notes that clash with each other, sudden time changes that everyone has to adjust to, its a beautiful chaos.

1 Like

Could be almost anything really, because the world is a big place. :slight_smile: For example it could be Sara Tavares’ fusion of jazz/soul with the African/Portuguese music they have in Cape Verde.

That’s exactly the type of jazz that I can’t listen to at all. Especially if the drummer is also jamming/freestyling at the same time as some of the others - that leaves no one to provide a foundation for the song, a basic framework or pattern you can follow and by contrast with which the others appear as expressive and playful and unpredictable and what have you. When they’re all doing their own un-patterned things the song breaks down and just becomes a mess. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jazz is multiple instruments, but not crowded like an orchestra in which you don’t know if they’re 10 or 20 violins. Places for silence, places to enjoy one instrument in particular (solos etc). Often well recorded, but above all I’d say, often recorded in a “live” situation, more or less (improvisation included).

We need more styles of music doing this… binaural recordings, room mics, whatever… or more well-recorded live albums.

1 Like

I love binaural recodings, best cost did a recording of baby I’m crying for jawbone when they came out with a binaural head, they took the song off you tube and I can’t find it anymore, but it’s freaking amazing if you can find it, you can hear the singer swaying back an forth to the music as she sings.

Found the song!!!

1 Like

rap is the best these days IMO thats coming from a guy that used to only listen to old school rap. rappers have become more in tune with their feelings and more experimental in produciton it’s a great time to get into rap these days it has never been so fun. especially with rappers like kendrick , tyler the creator, brockhampton, denzel curry,JID just to name a few.

1 Like

Sounds like your problem is you not being daring enough. Simple thing to fix wouldn’t you say? If you’re going to a shop to listen, bring your own music. Why wouldn’t they try to accommodate you when a sale in involved?

1 Like

I agree, if you bring some form of physical media like a vinyl or cd or flash drive of lossless music most dealers will gladly play it for you

2 Likes

This. I can’t deal with it. My brain’s like “get me the eff out of here”.

I don’t know if any of these fit the strict definition, but Tinariwen, Beuna Vista social club, Ali Fakra Toure, Fela Kuti are all in my music library and worth a listen. Especially Fela Kuti.

I was a rich, liberal, NPR listening New York woman in my previous life so I would know.

2 Likes

Is Dead Can Dance world music too?

Lol me too. I mean i get it but most of the artists in that genre are shitty

This sounds great. Thanks!

1 Like

Ooh, I’m glad you like it! In 2003 I bought a bootleg copy of Yellow Fever/Na Poi from a street vendor in a bad part of Baltimore (true story). I’ve been a big fan ever since.

He was very prolific so there’s lots of music to discover. Also, his life story is very compelling, a Fela musical won 11 Tonys and I’ve read that there is a biopic planned. Lots of gold to mine if you want. Have fun!

Something tells me you didn’t initially buy that album specifically because of the music.