Can someone explain to me why boomerphiles love jazz so much?

Lol me too. I mean i get it but most of the artists in that genre are shitty

This sounds great. Thanks!

1 Like

Ooh, I’m glad you like it! In 2003 I bought a bootleg copy of Yellow Fever/Na Poi from a street vendor in a bad part of Baltimore (true story). I’ve been a big fan ever since.

He was very prolific so there’s lots of music to discover. Also, his life story is very compelling, a Fela musical won 11 Tonys and I’ve read that there is a biopic planned. Lots of gold to mine if you want. Have fun!

Something tells me you didn’t initially buy that album specifically because of the music.

Actually yes! When I first moved to Baltimore I asked a musician where the “real” jazz was. He recommended a club in a shady neighborhood whose lobby/box office doubled as tiny liquor store. You paid your cover at the liquor store counter, and then walked through a curtain into a smoky, dimly lit club with some of the most interesting jazz I’ve ever seen. It seemed a “safe place” where the musicians weren’t afraid to try new things or make mistakes. More than once other musicians in the audience would get pulled up on stage to sit in. It was a super cool scene.

Anyway, one night as we left there was a “street vendor” selling counterfeit CDs. Just burned CD-Rs with black and white photocopied album art. I had vastly exceeded the two drink minimum and I bought a couple. One of them was Fela Kuti.

2 Likes

Funny thing is, I found this recently, and I want this CD.
Looks like he had to pick the smoothest ass for the smoothest jazz. shrugs :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh, the album cover! I get it. Haha. Yes, very pert. :laughing:

(you)

1 Like

Well, I don’t mind Jazz there are certain jazz songs that I love listening to and you gotta’ give props to those musicians who need to like learn every note that needs to be played and Jazz is no joke overall. I think a song that is a subgenre of jazz that I like listening to is Logos Naki World (The World Without Logos) is an opening of Hellsing anime the first one that is Acid jazz in genre.

1 Like

I got into jazz a few years ago. But I only like horn jazz. I think it goes back to Dark side of the moon and other albums that brought in horn players/sections. And the same with Motown.

I have tons of Miles Davis and love about half of it. Also discovered many other sax and trombone players. I really enjoy Trombone Shorty. They call him jazz because he plays trombone, but his music is better described as pop/rock/RnB. He did a full tour with Dave Matthews band which I would have Loved to see.
I hate jazz vocalists. Sounds like Lawrence Welk.

I will always be a rock guy, but about 10% of my listening is horn jazz. When you find the right artists, it is Amazing.

Examples of Classic: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Freddie Hubbard, Hank Mobley, etc.

Newer Jazz artists: Trombone Shorty, Kamasi Washington, Shalosh, Nubya Garcia, etc.

Some very cool stuff there, if you’re in the mood.

Shane D

Hellsing ultimate or the original?

I was lucky to see Arturo Sandoval at Ronnie Scotts once…totally blew (excuse the pun) me away…

1 Like

Pretty sure he is talking about the first, I own the soundtrack as well ^^

1 Like

the original one, the old one from 2001-2002

Hellsing ultimate, the anime I recommend to anyone telling me “anime are for children”, lol.

I really visually like ultimate better then the 2000’s one, also liked drifters because they are animated by the same people (I think)

@Ohmboy- that’s good stuff! Must have been a heck of a show.

I saw Pharaoh Sanders play in Oakland once- he came out of Coltrane’s bands in the '60s. Modal jazz…cool stuff.

2 Likes

Interesting story about my Miles Davis collection. I only have one set. It’s a Sony records collect titled Miles Davis The Complete Live at The Plugged Nickle 1965.

The interesting thing is that it was give to me by Luther Vandross. Back in the late 90s I managed a cell phone installation center in Manhattan om 39th between 8th and 9th. Apparently he didn’t like to fly to he had a big S class Mercedes and a chauffeur routinely drive him cross country from LA to NYC. After putting a car phone in the car and showing him and his driver the ins and out of the functionality they led me to the trunk of the car where there were hundreds upon hundreds of Sony label promo CDs and they say go at it. I’d never listened to Miles so that collection was one of the ones I took. It’s a Sony for promotion only 7 CD gift box.

2 Likes

VERY cool story! I bought a few CD’s at a used shop. Liked them enough that I bought a large box set of Miles from Amazon. I think it was 11 or 13 CD’s. And then I bought a few more albums on iTunes. I really do Love some of it. But much of it leaves me cold.
I believe that jazz, like blues, is so much better live. And so, of course, there are no jazz venues within 500 miles of me.:slightly_smiling_face:

Shane D

2/3 of my favorite music is not well recorded. So I’m designing my system to be forgiving.

Steely Dan snd Diana Krall will never ever never be played on my system. Ever.

People who only play well recorded music are listening to their system. What a sad way to live and a waste of money.

1 Like