Can’t decide what I want next, Sendy Aiva, LCD-X or LCD-2C

Yeah that and the mx4 are pretty different than what you expect for an audeze

I haven’t heard it, but my guess is that your LCD-24 is probably the best of all things Audeze.

The mellow warmth of the 2, with the detail resolving aspects of the 4. I really want to hear this one.

In my head it’s an LCD-XS Max! :laughing:

1 Like

The auteur actually seems like a really solid choice. Will have to go read up on it and check its availability in my region. Thank you for your suggestion.

I think ill now focus on my living room setup (with which you have also helped, thank you for that too) and will get back on this ride when im happy with the other project.

This hobby really is something else isnt it!

1 Like

Lol it sure is :+1:

Ok so, don’t know how useful my comments will be… I’m currently listening to my Aeoluses, and they are pretty great. I’ve got like 5 hours on them, so take this with a grain of salt… but they are indeed relaxed on the high end, mids are nice and clear, but not aggressive, and the bass is good and present, albeit a bit loose. This is with stock pads, mind you… The imaging is great, I feel a great deal of depth too. I am super pleased with how these sound!

I’m currently listening to Periphery 22 Faces, and I’m not sure these are the best match for the genre, however I am still enjoying the hell out of the song. They may be a bit too relaxed for the genre.

Biggest caveats here are that I don’t have anything to directly compare them to… all my stuff is in my old place, including my 789. So I’m running these off of my Dragonfly Cobalt and I’m currently self quarantine-ing, so can’t really compare them to the Verite’s (or anything else lol).

3 Likes

That’s a great, pleasantly laid back headphone.

Once you get them enough power they’ll really sing (as much as I love it, the DFC is pretty underpowered. Great for lower impedance, efficient headphones).

Do you have a tube amp? Because if you don’t and you have the verite and aeolus you really might want to get a mid to high tier one lol, zmf just love tubes

2 Likes

sounds like you just occupied my next 48-72 hours in tube amp research lol thanks!!

1 Like

Yeah tbh my verite very rarely leave a tube (although if I had an eikon or aut I actually prefer a warmer solid state or hyrbid)

2 Likes

Good to hear, I had no doubt you wouldnt enjoy! Joshua Valor had a video about a ~40€ tube from amazon, which he used as a preamp with the 789. Might wanna check that out.

I bought it and I use it as a preamp for my living room speakers, sounds fantastic!

I saw that! Pretty cool idea!! Did you change out the tubes or just the stock ones? I actually went full hog as usual and bought a Bottlehead Crackatwoa… Looking forward to hearing it!

3 Likes

Nice, I look forward to hearing your impressions. I’ve heard and love the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball, but I don’t trust my engineering skills to assemble one myself

1 Like

Damn, just googled it and saw it for the first time.

Looks beautiful. How are your impressions? Is there something in the concept I should know, @Onaha said he doesnt want to assemble one? :open_mouth:

Bottlehead sells kits that you have to put together yourself. They occasionally will sell assembled amps, and there are people who build and sell them for a markup, but the bulk is kits that need your assembly to operate

1 Like

Ok so I’m listening to the Crackatwoa now with the Verite Closed… Doing a back and forth now, which I know isn’t conclusive, but it clues me in to what I should listen for.

I am running Tidal to VMV D1 into the balanced inputs of the 789, and the single ended goes into the tube amp. I am plugging in and out of the single ended output of the 789. So far I’ve listened to Jamie Culum, Young the Giant and my own album.

If I had a gun to my head now, I would say the Crackatwoa has a bump form like 150hz to 250hz-ish (I’m not looking at any graphs and am no mastering engineer, but I record and mix my own music) and a small roll off at around 100hz. Then, slight boost from 1k up to maybe 7khz, after which there’s a small roll off as well. Also, the tubes give me a bit of compression. I definitely think strings are benefiting from this. Vocals sound “warmer” and closer… you can sort of feel more energy coming from the performances. That said…

…I’m preferring the 789 at the moment, if I’m honest. It gives me a better sub response for kick drums, the cymbals in things seem a little less aggressive to me, and I hear more high end “air”. My first thought when I compared the two was that the 789 gave me more definition, more resolve, and I liked that. I think it has to do with coloration (duh) or lack thereof. It could also be I’m much more acclimated to modern mastering and those kinds of fuller spectrum sounds? I’m enjoying the hell out of the tube amp though; it’s my newest toy, and it looks quite imposing. Longer term listening will tell. I’ve only listened to like three albums, so this is very early impressions. I can’t really speak to imaging, I can’t find too significant a difference.

I can see how this is where one reserves certain genres for tubes and SS for others. The real takeaway for me though is that, duck, I really love Mind Over Matter by Young the Giant…

2 Likes

This is what it looks like :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Very nice. Nice taste in books too. Infinite Jest is a masterpiece

1 Like

How much time have you put on it so far?

Maybe 3 hours? lol not much at all.

New or used? Tubes need some time to burn in, so leaving it on for a few days can improve the sound