CanJam NYC 2020 Feb 15-16

I was dead set on a pair of ZMF Verite or Aeolus but i find i have some hearing/sibilance issues that might come up in either of these lines. So instead of spending 1800$-2700$ on a pair. I wanted to go to CanJam and test out as many headphones as i could to see what the results are. My email is full of nothing but amazon links for purchases and returns :smile: . I kind of want to stop that from happening.

2 Likes

Well… From new monitor, powered monitors, TA-10, XD-05, CPU, GPU, pre-amp, bt5 sender/reciever, a number of cables/adapters, Symbio W eartips, Prota Pros… Sadly shit adds up, and I did not wanna stick with cheap logitech speakers and onboard audio with a portable amp. Shrugs

2 Likes

I was in the same place. I made a post on what did you buy today a week or so ago. Had to revamp my tech bag and went all out. I travel a good bit and needed a powerhouse in a bag.

What Monitor/CPU/GPU did you decide on.

I had a Q5s THX AAA but decided to return it and pick up the BTR5 for portability and get a stand alone desk DAC/AMP.

1 Like

CPU: R5 1600 AE (OC currently 4.1GHz @ ~1.34V)
GPU: RX 570 Red Dragon 4GB
Monitor: Acer Nitro VG240Y Pbiip

Sometimes I feel M0N is Zeos’ 3rd alias. Since the ‘Zeos’ alias has been exposed so much already. Lol

2 Likes

Overview of CanJam NYC 2020.

Lots of new gear shown.

I’m especially curious about the new Drop/ifi Dac, Drop CAN 6XX. Looks really promising.

1 Like

There ain’t shit in Ohio besides <------ this guy jamming out in his room, lol.

2 Likes

I am so disappointed i had to cancel my trip out to NYC there is so much i wanted to check out. Looks like a good bit of tech is going to leak into the lower market segment. The iFi Dac/Amp stack looks interesting paired with the 6xx. Also the iFi Hip Dac looks like it will be a decent portable options compared to the BTR5 and Q5s.

2 Likes

Ifi is really hitting the lower end market pretty hard. They make generally well regarded products, and their use of Burr Brown chips is relatively unique, and a market differentiator.

Kudos to them.

3 Likes

I own the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and absolutely adore its versatility and power. My upgrade path was to get a chance and listen to the Verite LTD open/closed before i pull the trigger on a purchase. M0N did suggest a Tuba Amp to pair with the iFi MiDSDBL. I was torn between the Aeolus LTD and the Verite and now with the closed backs being coveted it is becoming harder without a proper audition.

Currently have HD660s - I do really enjoy this sound over the rest of the HD6
Argons on the way :smile:

3 Likes

I think you’ll be happy with any one of those ZMF’s. Those are the three most recommended to me.

1 Like

I think i will like the Verite the most form everything i have read/heard/recommended. Z’s sound demos do not do a good job of representing them but you can get somewhat of a feel for them.

The Aeolus seem like they are just a smidge too laid back for an all around headphone. Resolve gave one of the best descriptions that i somewhat am clinging to. He stated that the Verite is not the best at one thing but it does the rest of the things better than any other headphone. It made all the correct kind of sense to me from my particular wants and needs. Hopefully we will have some insight from M0N when he gets his head under some since he already has the opens. I was offered the ability to go to ZMF directly and try out the headphones in April some time. “I am only 45 minutes from Chicago”. The wait is the killer part. Had to order the Argons and just stop thinking about them.

Verite O LTD Purple Heart with full suede all blacked out and only a Wine [Burgundy] chassis <3<3<3

1 Like

I have a few other things ahead of ZMF in my purchase queue, but hopefully by next year I’ll be ordering a pair. :laughing:

1 Like

what do you currently have in your sights?

I see you have a pair of LCD-X. I was looking into the LCD 2 Classic but ZMF lol.

1 Like

I’m working on a Lawton/Fostex mod (waiting on cups, already ordered), a Schiit Bifrost 2, and possibly another RNHP(I had two but returned one, now I need another), and Focal Clear Pros.

After the above is acquired, a Phonitor XE, and either a Matrix Audio Sabre X-Pro, or a Chord Qutest. Most likely the Matrix.

I forgot, Sennheiser HD-6XX. :grin:

1 Like

Why the Bitfrost 2? Are you planning on pairing it with one of your RNHP’s in balanced. Those Fostex mods get wild and there are sooooo many.

I am more or less stuck on a mobile set up “till i finally move back to Europe in a few months” that’s why i went with the iFi Micro BL. The Tuba is only 7lb so i would be able to reasonably take it with me in my tech bag.

Now that i have the iFi Micro BL and the HD660s with Argons on the way the only thing to get is a ZMF and then the tuba while i wait for the precision listening tool that is ZMF.

This hobby is almost as stressful as a full time drug habit.

1 Like

Haha! It can be.

Yes, the Bifrost will be used in my main setup till I get another dac (Matrix), after which it’ll be moved to my computer setup. Eventually the Bifrost will get a tube amp to compliment the RNHP.

(Computer setup currently has a NAD dac)

1 Like

Bitfrost 2 > RNHP > Tuba = This was something i had been talking to M0N about actually. Then i landed on the iFi Micro BL… With the Tuba being a later purchase. But… the BF2 would make me non portable but also make for a clean stack with an RNHP… I LOVE THIS HOBBY…<3

There are always so many variables in to accommodate for.

1 Like
1 Like