Canuck Audioholics Anonymous CAA Reviews & Fun Banter

On a different note how are the EPZ Q1 Pro?

1 Like

Phenomenal sound great value everyone should own a set.

1 Like

A few new ones.

5 Likes

Timsok TS-316

Musical Organic Pleasure

Thanks goes out to the Canuck Audioholics Anonymous Review Group.

Kaye Dee

Jay Yang

Kyle Parker

Tone Deaf Monk

Bennet Kelly

NOTES:

Timsok Audio may not be a well known company to many. I myself was unaware of them until a member of our review group, Canuck Audioholics Anonymous, took a chance on ordering the TS-316. I am so happy that he did as this iem has proven to tick all my boxes when it comes to the musically organic sound I crave. Founded in 2018 Timsok is made up of founders and partners with over 20 years of experience. They have flown under the radar for far too long.

At an asking price of $499usd the Timsok Audio TS-316 is at the top of their iem range which features just 3 products. Timsok also produce an over-ear headphone, the TS-1024, but at an asking price of $1999usd.

The TS-316 I have for review features a driver compliment of a single 10.2mm dynamic driver. The company website is well done but not exactly overflowing with information. This can be seen as a plus as the marketing department hasn’t stepped ahead of tuning and manufacturing as seen in far too many other brands these days.

With respect to sound, I found that the TS-316 had more of a W type of tuning that again leans towards my preferences. Generally, I prefer this more “balanced” tuning approach.

Fairly easy to drive the TS-316 seems more forgiving of sources but deserves one with good quality as the bass can suffer otherwise. A more neutral source is recommended and wide bore short stemmed tips seemed to work best.

The TS-316 proved to be one of the just small handful of iem I have heard that pulls me into the music almost immediately. It has a cohesive naturalness of sound that I often found intoxicating. Yeah, I liked it that much!

Read on to find out more.

SPECS:

Model: TS-316 Driver: 10.2mm Dynamic Driver (titanium and carbon fiber hybrid diaphragm) Sensitivity: 102.5db 1KHz Frequency Range: 20Hz~20KHz Impedance: 32Ω Cable: 1.25M / OCC Connector: 0.78mm 2Pin Plug: 4.4mm Balanced Adapter: 4.4mm Female to 3.5mm Male

BUILD FIT & QUALITY:

The TS-316 is a gorgeous iem. The medical grade polished stainless steel shells are beautifully designed and have a corresponding solid feel to them. They are of medium size and I found the fit was as close to perfect as I’ve experienced.

I did not have the full retail package for the iem but original case and cable was included. The case is classier than many I’ve seen included with iems much more costly than the TS-316. The cable, well…… It is a 4.4mm balanced termination but the haptics are questionable. The cable looks great but is too stiff and at times this was off-putting as I chilled out on the couch enjoying the iem. The cable kept wanting to do its own thing. This is probably going to be a non issue for many in this hobby as everyone I know in this space has lots of go to cables that they’ll use instead.

SOUND:

BASS:

The bass of goes deep with ample slam and rumble when called upon. Sub-bass is more emphasized than mid-bass and there is a pleasing warmth to the low end that lends to its organic nature.

Mid-bass has great punch and snap and does not stray into the midrange. Bass texture and detail is also a pleaser. Listening to “Angel” by Massive Attack the power was all there with the texture clearly evident. One thing to take note of is that unless driven by a more capable source, the low end of the TS-316 can become somewhat less defined. Moving on to acoustic bass, the double bass on the Robert Glasper Trio’s track “In Passing” showcased the natural tone and weight that the TS-316 possesses. Likewise, on “Poem Of The Chinese drum” by Yim Hok-Man. Clean powerful bass strikes with all that natural drum skin reverberation and decay on full display.

I had to play another track and “Barley” by Lizz Wright sounded spectacular on the TS-316. The powerful bass drum strikes were cleanly separated from the stringed bass. Likewise, for “Here I come” by the late great Reggae artist Denis Brown where the TS-316 served to make the bassline clear and distinct.

The Timsok TS-316 offers up a standout bass presentation. There may be some BA based iems in this price range that can squeeze out some more details, but not with the level of organic delivery that the TS-316 is capable of. Very well done!

MIDRANGE:

Moving on to the midrange. The Timsok TS-316 offers a midrange that is balanced with good detail retrieval, both macro and micro. Vocals are neither forward nor recessed but sit in a comfortable plane with the rest of the music. There is a rise in the upper-mids but it is kept in check and no harshness was noted. It affords a reasonable amount of energy without straying off the path of being natural.

Male vocals at times could have been a little warmer or chestier but were relayed with great clarity. Female vocals on the other hand were spot on, Amber Navran’s whimsical vocals on Moonchild’s tracks “Change Your Mind” & “Cure” sounded great. On “Sweet Love” by Anita Baker her vocals were clear and expressive with great definition.

The TS-316 excels in being organic with the emphasis on a natural presentation. This is best heard with well recorded tracks using acoustic instruments. “No Worries” by the Robert Glasper Trio was a treat to listen to with a vibrant yet natural sound coming form the TS-316. “He’s a Carioca” by Eden Atwood followed suit with a smooth natural delivery. I finished up with some live tracks from a hires test disc featuring “Late Night at the Pawn Shop”. Needless to say, the TS-316’s playback was more than pleasing.

The timbral accuracy of the TS-316 was quite good. This is an iem that really pulled me into the music again and again. Note weight was also notable being rich. Dynamics and Transients were handled well with a sharp leading edge and natural decay. Layering and separation were all well done, the TS-316 allowing the discernment of individual instruments even during busy tracks such as “Beautiful Lie” by Vick Lavander which was handled with ease.

TREBLE:

Treble is well extended with great clarity and good detail retrieval.

The natural playback evident in the mids and bass was also clearly heard in the high frequencies. There is a crispness to the treble, though with no harshness. Ample amounts of air and sparkle are present as well.

Treble sensitive people may find that there may be too much energy but I was very happy with the amount I heard. It added to the sense of openness I heard with the TS-316. An iem with this kind of bass presentation relies on the treble to keep the balance and this is exactly what was heard. Clean, even sweet, with enough energy to create an overall smooth balance.

The organic nature of the TS-316 is also present in the treble. Cymbal strikes and string resonances had a natural sound to them.

IMAGING AND SOUNDSTAGE:

The Timsok TS-316 presents a soundstage of moderately large dimensions. Height and depth are also well represented. The TS-316 never sounded congested or closed in. Busy tracks were no problem for the TS-316. Positioning within that soundstage was excellent. The speed of this driver and tuning make for a very engaging listen.

-Versus-

Meze Advar:

The Advar is more costly than the Timsok TS-316 but they do both sound terrific and share similar driver compliments of a dingle dynamic driver.

Bass is more expressive with the TS-316 with there being a toss up when the metrics of texturing and detail are compared.

In the midrange I found the TS-316 had better note weight with the Advar being just a touch more detailed. The Advar is also more energetic sounding with a comparatively greater upper mid prominence which some may like or dislike.

Treble is interesting that while the Advar has a brighter treble, both were not harsh and matched very closely when it comes to detail retrieval.

I loved both iem and feel uncomfortable making a decision between the two.

CONCLUSION:

The Timsok TS-316 is a winner on so many levels. Here we have a beautifully designed and manufactured iem with a sound that rises above even that.

The TS-316 oozes a natural presentation that immediately satisfied my “Organic Sound” requirement needed for me to even consider an iem “Special”. It does that and so much more. I have rarely been compelled to dig deeper into my music collection usually sticking to the 15 to 20 tracks I use for evaluations. The Timsok TS-316 had me listening to numerous tracks I have not heard in far too long.

If by now I haven’t been clear enough, the TS-316 has joined just a handful of sets at all price ranges that I had trouble pulling out of my greedy ears. It offers the listener an organic, cohesive and detailed sound that I found compelling.

The Timsok TS-316 gets a strong recommendation.

8 Likes

Jason…will you finally get around to 'tubing the Advar…I’d love to see my boy on the big screen

1 Like

Ok this weekend, i still haven’t done the Oracle vid either or the THOR Mjölnir MKII

1 Like

Holy shit…coincidentally I juuust picked up my Thor for the first time in almost a year

I’ll have to snag a blunt for that one

My Oracle has been in a coma for the last few months

1 Like

Did you get THOR OG or MKII?

The Oracle on the A&K Kann was like a completely different IEM love it even more now on such a resolving source.

1 Like

I have the Mk2…forgot how good it is

1 Like

Oracle will stay in my stable…noice

1 Like

Ok my time with the R8ii has ended and I will miss her. :kissing_heart:

2 Likes

Hey @ToneDeafMonk can you measure the EW200 with a 500 mesh filter? I think it tames the treble without masking it, sounds amazing imo.

Wel well well what a interesting comparison.
Letshuoer Audio Cadenza 4
Juzear Flame / 41t
Myer-Audio SLIIVO SL41

3 different sound flavors going to have to do a spider graph for theese 3.

For my personal tastes I take the Myer-Audio SLIIVO SL41 as #1 followed closely by the Cadenza 4 and Juzear flame last

Going to throw the PULA PA02 into the mix sounds wicked off the Kann

7 Likes

I’m starting to become very interested in the Cadenza the past couple days

4 Likes

Be good for neutralheads but be prepared to put it on a warm source probably sound wicked on a R2R

2 Likes

choo choo! :steam_locomotive:

2 Likes

Whats better than a 3 way add the PA02 into the mix!

2 Likes

6 Likes

Letshuoer Audio Cadenza 4

Overall a breath of fresh air from Agressive V shape sound signatures.

:heart_eyes: A well tuned Hybrid Balanced, Smooth , Well Extended, Punchy sound signature that will appeal to Audiophiles
:heart_eyes: Nice Accessories, case , modular cable :ok_hand:
:heart_eyes: Input = Output
:heart_eyes: Follows the source
:heart_eyes: Medium Shell and semi custom shape and texture all Well done
:heart_eyes: Real punchy bass love it
:heart_eyes: Standout treble
:heart_eyes: Balanced & natural Midrange
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Not for bassheads
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Not for treble heads
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Nit forgiving on poorly recorded material.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: May be too boring for some who are used to V shapes
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Maybe to plain looking for some
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Seekers of killer 3D stage look elsewhere
:face_with_raised_eyebrow: Micro and macro dynamics not the C4 strong suit

6 Likes

My first thought was… that looks like an OEM ARTTI modular cable. So many new sets saturating the narket. Competative times for market share.

1 Like